clueless about tech, need help

Options
momohobobobo
momohobobobo Posts: 13
edited December 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
So im planning on getting a system this month, but im completely in the dark... I'll start off by telling you what i have and then what i want.

I currently have an 09 ford focus with factory sub and sync system. What i want is a decent full system for my car.

So far im most interested im getting 2 MM1240, but i dont know if i should get the DVC or regular( help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.) For my speakers im confused. I used the vehicle fit guide and my results came up with an option of using MM571's for the front door but not for the back, even though they are the same size. And it also said that i could use db571's for both the front and back when they're the same size as the MM571's. So can i go ahead and use the MM571's for both? and if i cant, can i put the MM's in the front and the DB's in the back? or would that be bad.
As for amps, i dont know where to go with this. I just need someone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help, just ask if you need anymore info about what i want or have
Post edited by momohobobobo on

Comments

• momohobobobo
    edited December 2010
    Options
    any help would really be appreciated guys, i just need a head start. I just dont wanna listen to all the sales people at the audio stores lie to me just to get me to buy what they want. I want some honest opinions.
    Thanks
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Ok. Are planing on getting a new HU (head unit)? What are going for overall? SQ (Sound Quality), or SPL (Sound Pressure Level I.E. loud)? I can tell you that most people on here will tell you to run only front speakers, and do not do rear speakers. This is, because alot of the members on here are about SQ, and not SPL. Plus if you dont ever have anyone in the back, then there is no reason to have back speakers. Front speaker's if positioned right, and tuned correctly can sound amazing.

Also with you wanting to run amps, you might end up having to loose the stock head unit, and thus loosing the sync stuff. So, in short sit, and think about what you are trying to go for over all, and think of weather or not you are willing to loose the stock head unit.

In short, however the MM line is a good line, and there are alot of people on here run them, and think very highly of them. Also yes you can use the MM, and DB lines together, but IMO I would not. Its kind of like mixing a diamond, with cubic zerconia, well maybe not like that, but close. If you going to run the MM line sub, and the MM line speakers in the front, then use the same in the back. Also the DB line is polks entery level, and the MM's are their next step up. Hope this helps, and also please try to be patient. I mean that in a polite way really. There will be more people responding befor to long. It just takes us time to get you the answers. Also welcome to C.P.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Think you said it pretty well Kaos, need to find out what the OP wants as an end result and how much work+money he's willing to put in. It's only until then we can suggest more...as for the MM's, I only own their sub but it's by far the cleanest sounding sub I've heard.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • momohobobobo
    edited December 2010
    Options
    haha sorry for coming off as impatient, i just got excited really. I've heard about only running front speakers on here and i like the idea. That way i can jump up to the component speakers rather than the coaxials. As for the sound, im looking for a tight sound. I mean that as i dont want to sound like those people who's cars sound like their falling apart (sorry if that doesn't make sense). I've noticed that the great sound systems i've heard are felt more in my chest rather than vibrations, i want that chest pumping feeling. I just dont know exactly what category that would fall under. And i figure that two subs and nice speakers will be plenty loud for me anyway, especially since i dont plan on competing or anything. As for money im looking at around like $600-800, maybe more if i need to and if it'll truly be worth it. Its looking like i'll need to up that price anyway after researching more. And i really dont care about loosing the sync system, its a pain most of the time anyway, and i only use it for my Ipod, which i just lost, so it doesn't do anything anymore. I have plenty of time to tweak and install this stuff too, im in no hurry. I'll probably end up doing it all in steps within about a month or two.

I appreciate the help, and sorry about not knowing too much about this stuff
  • momohobobobo
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I JUST FOUND THE GREATEST THING EVER!! :biggrin:

I found out that since i work at ups i get a 25-40% discount at J&R electronics and 10% off at crutchfield. Hopefully that'll give me a little more wiggle room
  • momohobobobo
    edited December 2010
    Options
    hey guys. So i've been doing a lot of research and i think that i have come up with my general plan of what i want to do. For me head unit i think im gonna go with the clarion NX500, or something similar from clarion, for speakers im going with either the mm5251's or the mm571's. As for the subs, im wondering if getting one 12" SR would be better than two 12" MM's. And if i do get the SR's im going to get the PA1200.1 probably. My question about that though is, if i do get that amp, can i power both my speakers and the sub with just that one amp? As i stated before, i dont know much about all this stuff. I just wanna know cause that'd be really convenient.

Thanks
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The pa 1200.1 is a mono amp i.e. only one channel. It will power only your sub/s. Your speakers require a min 2ch (L/R) or a 4 ch amp if you're going to bi-amp, i.e. one channel per driver.

You can also get a 4 channel amp, run the front components off the front two channels on the amp and then bridge the rear channels to run the sub. This way you will only need 1 amp.

I would take 1 sr sub over 2 MM subs.
  • momohobobobo
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Ok that makes sense. So I should just find either a massive amp for everythingor get the polk plus another smaller amp for my speakers. And I was thinking the Sr would top the mm's too. I don't need much haha
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You can also look at a 5 ch amp. $ channels for the comps and one for the sub.

Which way you choose to go depends on the space, $$ and on if you plan on staying passive or going active etc.
  • momohobobobo
    edited December 2010
    Options
    can you explain what exactly the whole passive and active means? i've heard it mentioned a lot but dont exactly understand
  • KaosTsoc
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Here is the link to one of my posts, and it goes over the passive, active, and Bi amping info. I know there are other ones on here, but man that would take a while to find maybe.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107103

This should help pretty well, or at least get you started. copy, and paste.

Thanks
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• momohobobobo
    edited December 2010
    Options
    hey Kaos, i have a quick question. If you had the choice would you rather get 2 MM1240's or 1 SR124. I know that the SR will have a lot better SQ, but will it also compete SPL wise? i do still want my system to be loud and hit hard haha.
    Thanks for all the help
  • KaosTsoc
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Im going with SR 12's. 2 of them be excat. I had a chance to hear one 10" SR in an SQ setting, and it sounded really good. As for SPL????? I really have not idea. I have not heard them in an SPL setting as of yet. Not many people that I know of live around have the SR's, that also goes for the stores around here as well. The only other person that would/might know is Mac, he would know better than me sorry. I have heard the MM line at frys, which I know is not the best setting in the world, but........ They did sound good, and got pretty loud, but nothing over the top. As for me, Im on your side. I want not only SQ, but SPL as well. Alas....... it wont happen that way. Have to take one over the other a little more.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• momohobobobo
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yeah i'll have to try and get in touch with him. I have a feeling that I might go with the MM's though