Carver amps???

Options
amulford
amulford Posts: 5,020
edited July 2003 in Electronics
Does any one have any experience with Carver amps?

I just recently got a set of SDA 2.3's and i have them set up in my living room for 2 channel listening. I am driving them with my receiver, using a second zone feature. The thing is the receiver is 7.1, but if I use the internal on it i lose the use of two channels( which makes it 5.1)

I've been looking at some Carver amps on ebay. They sound pretty nice but I'd really like to get some first hand input.
Post edited by amulford on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Carver and SDA (or ANY vintage Polk for that matter) are like, um, peas and carrots, mac and cheese, pizza and beer.

Just do it.

There were one or two Carver amps that weren't common ground, I'll go out on a limb, the 1.5 and.......anyone? Bueller?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2003
    Options
    What Russ said....

BDT

I'm not sure, other than the m1.5t, what other Carver amps aren't common ground..

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited July 2003
    Options
    can't vouch for carver amps as opposed to other manufacturer's amps, but compared to the amps in moderately expensive receivers, they are awesome. I own 4 of them.
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I also have a couple (TFM 35X). I think they are fantastic. Sunfire could advise as to common ground or not. I don't think you'd be dissapointed.
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Carvers and SDA's work very well together! :) SDA's love power! You might want to look at past posts about Carvers and SDA's -lots of info there. Good luck!
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hey there Amulford,

Welcome to the forum, It's been a while since I responded to a post. But I've been reading them.

In answer to the Carver/ Polk SDA question I use to own a Carver M1.5t and a pair of SDA 2's It was the best 2 channel system I ever owned. Pure magic. I now own a TFM 35x with some RT 1000i's connected. Very good, but those SDA's just added another notch. Go for it That M1.5t was 350 watts peaked at 600 watts with dynamic headroom to 750 watts It drove those SDA 2's to concert hall levels with no problems.

Good Luck! Let Us Know What You Think.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I've got some 1C Studio's being driven by a M1.0-t right now. Nice combo at 200W/ch with plenty of reserve. I used to have a M4.0-t, but it blowed up (to use some NASCAR slang). If you can track down a 4.0, I would not hesitate to get one. It really made my 1C's shine. Smooth but detailed highs that didn't slap you around or blend too far into the background, firm, clear midrange, and the bass was awesome. The bass was fast, clear, and deep, but it had that "growl" that made more right there, life-like I guess. It was a definite improvement over the 1.0.

The 4.0 had the transfer-function to match Carver's own Silver Seven tube amps. More than a few folks thought the Silver Seven's were among the absolute best tube amps available, at least back in their day.

Although I'm a bit youthful (25), my understanding from some other SDA-aholics is that most of the quality amps from the mid to late 80's are still quite desireable amps to have with modern speakers and the latest HT formats.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    There were one or two Carver amps that weren't common ground, I'll go out on a limb, the 1.5 and.......anyone? Bueller?
    Damn sorry to hear this since I used a 1.5 to drive my SRS's for about 15 years... Sadly it is not bridgable, but other than that...

Actually the only Carver in the "t" line I that I believe is not common ground is the M500t. I had one of these, but traded it in for the 1.5t as I knew the SRS's were in my future... that and more power... :D

amulford,

I don't know much about the earlier non-"t" models, cubes and such. Have only heard the M400, but you're likely looking for one of the later models anyway. Of the t's either the 1.5 or 4.0 will deliver plenty of jollies to your ears.

On ebay a 1.5 in very good condition will run in the $450 range while the 4.0's will go $500 to even $600. Do ask about their use as many have seen rough treatment in DJ duty and cosmetically can be a little rough.

Also for the 1.5's ask their serial number and if they have been serviced by Carver. The latest upgrades came in the last third of the model's production run, ~#10,000 and up. But if the unit was Carver serviced they include the upgrades in the bench fee so they're good to go. My #2787 was serviced and came back sounding sweeter than ever.

Good luck and if you want any data or opinions on Carvers you see listed, just e-mail me.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD