DIY subwoofers

Options
hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Has anyone in here been brave enough to built their own subwoofer? I am really wanting to, I like the price and performance of the Adire Audio 12" or 15" driver to use, and I also like the fact that they have assembly drawings for the cabinets ready to go, but I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas or thoughts.

I have read many posts from DIY builders and I beleive them when they say "this sub kills comercial subs costing X times as much, but I wonder... is their sub really that good or is it ok and their pride in the work makes it seem like it is much better than it is?

I am planning (wishing) on building two, I am a believer in stereo bass, two subwoofer amps from PartsExpress.com is 250.00 + s&h, two drivers from Adire is 240.00 or 280.00 + s&h and about 100.00 to 125.00 in wood, screws, and finish, this will total around 590.00 to 655.00 plus shipping for two Kick A$$ subs.
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Wish I could do one, but I was the guy who fu**ed up making a Bird house in Shop class...
    I am not good when it comes to that sort of stuff...
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    The Titanic from Parts Express look pretty good to me. Good price too. I got a sale flyer yesterday and the 10" is on sale for $350, lists for $550. It has ¾" MDF, will go to 24HZ,and comes with a 250 watt amp. I'm not to sure about their drivers but even a good box and amp for $350 isn't bad IMO. It even comes with spikes.
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Thanks Chris I have been looking at that one also, I wish that sub had more reviews online from customers.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I have not heard one (titanic kit), but I too, hear nothing but praise. Another driver I have only heard good things about is the 'blueprint'. Blueprintdrivers.com.

If you do go the DIY route, and have the time, document it, I'd love to see the process and get your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Russ M
    I did a DIY kit for a center channel from Parts Express, the one with 2-6½" holes and 1-3". I used Polk drivers and a SL2500, of course, and a crossover from a CS400 not the ‘i’. It turned out real nice, the kit fit together right, the parts were good, and prety easy to do. I was trying to match my Monitor series 2s in my bedroom system. I sounded good with music but I like the CS350LS, I got from Russ A., better for movies.
    All in all a very good kit.
    Cris
    Chris :)
  • JerryR1vers
    JerryR1vers Posts: 17
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I built my own sub cabinet and unless you are a genious with tools and have all 10 fingers... its not worth it. They have to be rattle proof, exact cubic dimensions, ported correctly. Really a huge waste of time to maybe have a chance at something that you have no idea what the end result will give you. Spend the cash on something good and use your spare time to enjoy them.