Full Bore LSi Review

Options
Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited July 2003 in Speakers
http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?161

Great review.

Interesting points about the 25's vs. the 9's.

He doesn't like the PSW650 and wants the 808.

Sid, take note of his comments on the LSiFX bipole dipole for music.

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I know.... all these great Lsi reviews tend to get a bit boring eh ! ;)

Apparently he really loves the Lsi9's but it's too bad he didn't get to try out the Lsi15's.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,101
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Nice review man. I read about the LSiFX -- I know bipole is for music, and di is for movies. However, 2 woofs, 2 tweets, facing 2 different directions, calling that stereo ---- SCREAMS BOSE. I am sure it works well, but I just can't imagine the stereo image that would come out of them. Possibly better than for the worst, or possibly vise versa. But nice review. Once again, the reviewer solves my own beef with Polk Audio subwoofers. That alone rest my argument on them alone. :cool:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Good read, Dr. Spec! Thanks for the link, I am quite surprised that he didn't even mention LSi15 throughout the review. By now, Polk must have enough stats on which LSi sell better than the other. I would be willing to bet my money that the 15 outsell 25. Funny that he mentioned it would be an overkill to place 9 for surround back duty, as I went thru the same reasoning. The 7 is actually perfect for this job.

The review somewhat confirmed the optimal setup of LSi for both HT and audio (DVD-A/SACD): 15/25, C, Fx, 7/9.

Now, LSi paired with Lex, I REALLY want to hear that!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Another great review, thanks Dr. for the posting....

You gentlemen gonna try and check Polk out???? Drop me a line..
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Agreed, if I was building an LSi system it would be:

LSi15 x 2
    LSiC x 1
    LSiFX x 2
    LSi7 x 2

Then 7 channel pre-out from the 3803 to the Adcom 125 x7 HT amp gonzo recently bought.

The only reason not to get the 9's up front would be I personally dislike speaker stands and their relative instability and I would simply prefer the tower design up front solely for this reason. Is there a decent LSi9 stand out there that won't end up costing as much as the 15's overall?

I'd be buying my bass twice, though - as I would definitely high pass the 15's at 80 Hz to the PB2+ at all times.

Doc

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    However, 2 woofs, 2 tweets, facing 2 different directions, calling that stereo ---- SCREAMS BOSE. I am sure it works well, but I just can't imagine the stereo image that would come out of them. Possibly better than for the worst, or possibly vise versa.

Nobody's calling it stereo. But notice how the dipole setting worked better for Blue Man, and the bipole setting worked better for Neil Young? Again the point is Polk gives you a choice. Regardless, the bi-directional speaker fills the room well in either setting, and that's the whole point of multi-channel music, IMO.

This statement might apply to you though, Sid: "I like this, as it made the room sound bigger; however, if you're a staunch monopole fanatic, a set of LSi9s in place of the LSiFXs might suit you better." I think you fit the definition of a "staunch monopole fanatic".

Doc

SVS
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If I were building a multichannel LSi system it would be:

4 LSi 9s, a LSiC and a sub.

I too am a "staunch monopole fanatic"...especially for multichannel music applications (of which I am not a huge fan at this point in time). Until 7.1 becomes the standard for all for all of the new dvds coming out, 5.1 is enough for me.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Agreed, if I was building an LSi system it would be:

LSi15 x 2
    LSiC x 1
    LSiFX x 2
    LSi7 x 2

Looks familiar.....where have I seen that configuration before?!?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Is there a decent LSi9 stand out there that won't end up costing as much as the 15's overall?
    Doc

Sanus Steel Foundation, $174 shipped from Dynamic Sound Systems (Tempe, AZ) or Rack and Stands (Boston, MA). They are solid, heavy, stable, and looks great!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The only reason not to get the 9's up front would be I personally dislike speaker stands and their relative instability and I would simply prefer the tower design up front solely for this reason. Is there a decent LSi9 stand out there that won't end up costing as much as the 15's overall?
    yes, if you DIY. My DIY stands cost around $100 (much less if you used mdf and not hardwood). They are solid as a rock and are MUCH more stable than my RT1000i's ever were. I'd say they're more stable than most floorsanding speakers because the bases are bigger and because they weigh so damn much. With some blu tak on the speakers it's almost imposible to knock them over...

My stand would have cost much less had I not had to buy so many supplies...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Then 7 channel pre-out from the 3803 to the Adcom 125 x7 HT amp gonzo recently bought.
    Doc

another good point that confirmed my own setup. 125 watts @ 8 ohms/ 185 @ 4 ohms seem to be about the right size of amplification needs of these setup. I use B&K 125.7 and it is more than adequate (gives me a good compromise of cost, heat generation, and space allocation) to drive them...
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited July 2003
    Options
    edit, double post...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15