buildin my own choke.

PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
mechanic did the brakes, trannie, fixed the power pump for the window squirts, he looked at the tires and goes "these have 90% treadlife left - have no bulges or flat spots - and look fine other than that they're ugly as sin", so we flipped the white walls inside and the balck wall / black letter dont look to bad -- gonna armorall teh **** out of them once i clean the off with some brake cleaner.

flushed out the fuel system.. did some other ****...

car runs like a beast

handles like a champ, steers great, accerates great for a heavy car.... good ****.

he said the choke is shot to **** and he can determine its not working properly btu he didn't wanna chance fixing it -- he goes "honestly, i'll prolly fk it up worse than you would... and at least you wont charge yourself any money" -- so i'm just gonna build my own damn choke -- he said "why not just make it a manual choke if u dont care too much about it being perfect dead on set"... well... i decided i will.

i'm building my own "manual - electric" choke...

when i'm done, i'll post plans for it.

hint -- it'll be staged, maybe 3 stages? that should be sufficient for a car that doesn't need to be totally perfect.
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    Dude, Holley has a manual choke kit. Something like 30 bucks. Comes with a cable and bracket and stopper and all. For 30 bucks though, you can get a NEW electric choke. Trust me, you'll miss it if you get rid of it. The new electric choke should come with everything you need. Pep Boys or other autoparts store should have them in stock. Especially for a quadrajet. They are fairly easy to fix too. Might want explore those options before you go trying to fab something up.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    *extreme grumbling*

i was all happy - was gonna build my own choke... had the whole circuit and three position switching drawn up -- but nooooo then the evil world of "well the voltage with the car off is 12.5 / with it on is 14.1 and somewhere in between when the idle is really low." -- so any timed thing i build would result in difft positioning due to difft time constants. grrrrrrrrrrr

however, the good news is this...

i somehow fixed it.

mechanic had said when he was cleanin out the fuel lines and ****, "dude u've got suction on two ends of one of these hoses, and hte other one has none, if u have the manual, check that out" ---

so--- i did today -- choke works acceptably (if thats a word) and the air ports above the secondaries start to open just a bit when you really hammer down on the throttle.

so all is well in my world...

time to get a molson.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge