sub through receiver

Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Do you think hooking my PSW150 sub through my receiver's AC outlet is a bad thing? My main concern is that the sub's amp might draw a fair amount of current, and maybe that's not such a good thing for the receiver. Hooking a CD player up vs. an amplifier is two different things. My second concern would be related to any sound quality concerns. Anyone?

Aaron
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    What are your alternatives for places to plug it in?
    Do you have a shortage of recepticles?

Not knowing the draw your sub amp has, I (personally) still wouldn't plug the sub into the receiver if I could avoid it. I prefer all my amps to NOT be drawing through any other componant.
    If your sub comes up short on power to reproduce certain notes, then yes, the sound quality will suffer.

Have you considered running a dedicated power line from your breaker box, just for your system? And then using isolated power conditioning or better yet, separate conditioners? This is an excellent route to strive for in the long run.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    It may not give you any problems at all, but you are right about the current draw from the sub. The switched and unswitched outlets on your rec are not made for anything more than source components, eg: dvd, cd, tape.....

The only place I have seen this in writing, was in a Velo sub manual. I've heard people with cheap-o, low current (klh 8, audiosource 8, etc) subs, have no issues.

If you like you receiver, don't chance it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2001
    When I first started my HT I had my Velodyne plugged into my Marantz. Did I have any problems? No.

I finally installed a dedicated electrical line from my homes main breaker box. Mainly because of interference from other sources.

I now have everyting isolated on a dedicated feed. The Marantz and Velo are on one Monster HTS-1000 and the TV/DVD player and VCR are on a Monster HTS-2500.

Did I notice any difference after installing the dedicated feed? No.

To answer your question, all I can say is I did not have any problems when I did it.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    edited July 2001
    The reason I want to plug the sub into the receiver is so I can have it turn on only when my system is on. I hate the Auto On setting. The sub is constantly switching on and off when I'm watching TV or listening to music at a low level. I definitely won't be running a dedicated line in a house that I'm renting for a year. However, a power conditioner isn't a bad idea. That will probably be put on the back burner, though. I tend to agree with all of your opinions (imagine that). It will probably work, but it probably isn't good, so therefore I probably won't do it. How's that for indecisiveness?

Aaron
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    I didn't realize you were renting or I wouldn't have suggested running the dedicated line.

Power conditioning is a good move though. Although I heard no difference going from a multiple recepticle line to a dedicated one, that was not the reason for doing so. With two, 750 watt RMS @ 8ohm amps and a 150 watt sub (followed by a 250 watt and next Monday a 400 watt sub) being the heavy draws on my HS, I want(ed) nothing else on the system line.

My first move though, was to use two power conditioners (on my HS). One is a dedicated amp conditioner and the other has isolated sections to separate anolog and digital sources. This made an improvement I could hear with no problem. Quite passages were quiter, darker than ever before. The sound stage became a bit deeper yet. The bass was tightened a notch, more in focus.

Once again: Unless you practice criticle listening, a lot of changes in your system's sound will go right over your head or under your feet. They certainly won't register in the area between your ears. Casual listening will yield casual results. Just as working-out is for the improvement of your body, you have to practice criticle listening to improve your listening skills. If you are serious about working-out and keep to a good program, you will see good results. If you go about it half-hearted and casual, you'll get casual results, at best.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2001
    I hate the Auto On setting. The sub is constantly switching on and off when I'm watching TV or listening to music at a low level.

This can't be a good thing. Aaron, give customer service a call. My sub doesn't do this at all. Check it with Cust Serv.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited July 2001
    Get the Monster Cable SW200 and plug your Polk PSW150 into it, that is the best way.:D
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    the sw200 isn't switched. I'd say the hts2500 it the coolest solution. if $300 is too much, go for the hts1000 @ 150 or ht700 @80.
  • Aaron
    edited July 2001
    Originally posted by Micah
    This can't be a good thing. Aaron, give customer service a call. My sub doesn't do this at all. Check it with Cust Serv.

Micah,
    I don't think there's a problem with the sub, it's just that the Auto On circuitry isn't very sensitive. You must have the volume at a moderate level for the sub to come on. At low levels it just doesn't sense the signal (unless there's a bass spike in the material, hence the on/off behavior during TV viewing). My dad's sub (same one) behaves the same way.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    My sub will power off (the little annoying 'click' during an extended quiet scene), but only when the DVD player is used.....

VHS/Prologic, no problems whatsoever....only time the sub powers off is 10-15 minutes after the movie is over....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited July 2001
    Yeah, that click is pretty annoying, especially since you know that the sub just turned off. Errr. That is pretty odd that it only happens with your DVD player. Maybe it has something to do with Dolby Digital vs. Pro-Logic. I don't even have a VCR hooked up to compare.

It seems like the best route to solve this problem is to get a line conditioner with switched outlets. I probably won't be getting one in the near future, though.

Aaron