Pre-outs & 6 Channel Inputs

Options
sether82
sether82 Posts: 7
edited July 2003 in Electronics
Just bought a brand new Kenwood VR7070 THX receiver. I noticed it's got a 7.1 pre-out on the back. Can someone explain to me what this does in definitive terms that a child would understand?

Also, being a fan of DVD Audio I've become well-aquainted with the discrete 6 ch input, and while it's necessary for DVD Audio, how does it perform for movies? Is it best to watch movies with the 6 ch or to flip over to digital and let the receiver do the decoding? I'm particuarly curious as to how this pertains to 6.1 formats (Digital EX, DTS ES). The receiver's got THX Surround EX and I'm wondering if the signal needs to be going through the digital input for the THX to kick in or if it will work just the same with the 6 ch discrete.

Opinions? Facts? Insults?
Post edited by sether82 on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Insults? You're ugly.

sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

The preouts are there if you wanted to add some power amps and have your receiver act as a preamp.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I predict insults......:D

For movie, it's better to do the digital decoding through the receiver. The only reason for the 6.1 analog connections on the back of the DVD-A is the seperation of the channels. I think that you'd see a degredation of the audio on a movie if you're downgrading it to analog from digital. I'm not even sure that the players that run DVD-A can be directed to send all signal through the 6.1 analog connections through to the receiver, but I could be wrong......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm not even sure that the players that run DVD-A can be directed to send all signal through the 6.1 analog connections through to the receiver, but I could be wrong......

That's interesting, I'd like to hear an answer on this one. For regular DVDs of course.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Your DVD player has a DD and DTS decoder. It can do a 5.1 movie in either format. It would be perfectly acceptable to allow the DVD player to decode a movie and output the audio signal to the six analog jacks. I've tried it with my 2900 and it works just fine.

Where you might miss out would be the decoding of DD-EX, DTS-ES, and DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete. I doubt your DVD player can do that, and you would be better off going through the receiver.

As a rule of thumb, I use the receiver for ALL movie processing via digital coax.

To answer your other question, the 7.1 pre-outs are for using an external amplifier to power your speakers. You will already be using the ".1" pre-out for your subwoofer. You could use the other 7 pre-outs in the same manner if you choose.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • sether82
    sether82 Posts: 7
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks guys. Very helpful. Always there for me in a clutch. Live long and prosper.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    I'm not even sure that the players that run DVD-A can be directed to send all signal through the 6.1 analog connections through to the receiver, but I could be wrong......

I second Dr. Ed's comments. My Toshiba SD-4700 can output via optical, coax, or 5.1 discrete channel selectable via the DVD setup menus. It also has limited built in bass management which helps for DVD-A cd's.

Tony
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I tried both tonight ... the Toshiba player on Charlies Angels sounded better than using the 6 analog out on the player to the receiver.. the digital coax sounded fuller. the analog connection lacked an open soundfield. the front three speakers were very narrow sounding.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If all things are equal, using the 5.1 outputs on DVD player and digital input for receiver, the result should be the same. However, reality is more complicate than that. You should try both ways and then use the connection that sound better to your ear. If you analog connection sounds better than digital connection, the decoder in your DVD player is a better decoder than the one in the receiver. On the other hand, if digtial connection sounds better, the decoder in the receiver is a better decoder or your receiver doesn't have quality built analog connection (inputs).

As Doc said on his post, some receivers have the 6.1 and 7.1 decoder (extra rear channels), if your DVD player's decoder only capable of decode 5.1 output channels, using analog connections will result in missing the extra rear channel sound tracks. In this case you should use the digital connection unless your DVD player has the 6.1 or 7.1 analog outputs (same number of inputs on your receiver)

THX processing works on both analog and digital tracks if you activate this feature.