Polk DB651 and DB691

Options
CCNJ
CCNJ Posts: 384
edited December 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
My son is looking to replace the stock speakers in his 2000 Honda accord. He is currently looking at the DB651 (6.5 2Way Speaker) for the fronts and the DB 691 (6x9 speakers) for the rears. He can get all 4 speakers for about $136 shipped. Anybody have any experience with these speakers? Would you recommend these? Any other suggestions? He is buying speakers first then upgrading the rest of his setup.
Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4
Post edited by CCNJ on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Theyre pretty solid especially for the money. Theyre Polk's entry level line but they have quality sound and build.

If he's just wanting to drop some speakers in to have some tunes to listen to while driving around, thats a fine setup. But if he's wanting the best sound quality he can get, he's better off investing in a good set of component speakers for the front and not using rears. Rear speakers hurt overall sound quality.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CCNJ
    edited November 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Theyre pretty solid especially for the money. Theyre Polk's entry level line but they have quality sound and build.

If he's just wanting to drop some speakers in to have some tunes to listen to while driving around, thats a fine setup. But if he's wanting the best sound quality he can get, he's better off investing in a good set of component speakers for the front and not using rears. Rear speakers hurt overall sound quality.
    Thanks MacLeod. I'm not that familiar with car audio and wasn't even aware of component speakers. The Polk DB6501 component speakers got good reviews and would cost about the same price as the 4 speakers that my son was originally looking at. I passed along this information to him.
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I currently have 4 DB651 in my tacoma (had them in a Saturn Ion for a while as well.) I have had these for about 3-4 years now, and they are really good. They can get plenty loud, and still retain their clarity. They lack a little in the mid bass, or at least I think so, and I think it is, because they are coax. The pole piece takes away for the cone surface area. Like I said I have 4 of these, but really only use the 2 up front. Tyring to get used to this concept since I will be upgrading to component speakers before to long. So, in short, they are really good, and if amped they sound evern better.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • CCNJ
    edited November 2010
    Options
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    I currently have 4 DB651 in my tacoma (had them in a Saturn Ion for a while as well.) I have had these for about 3-4 years now, and they are really good. They can get plenty loud, and still retain their clarity. They lack a little in the mid bass, or at least I think so, and I think it is, because they are coax. The pole piece takes away for the cone surface area. Like I said I have 4 of these, but really only use the 2 up front. Tyring to get used to this concept since I will be upgrading to component speakers before to long. So, in short, they are really good, and if amped they sound evern better.

Thanks.
    Thanks Kaos. My son ended up buying 2 DB651 for the fronts and 2 DB 691 (6x9 speakers) for the rears. He wasn't ready for component speakers yet and was worried about the installation. Glad to hear you are happy with the DN651s.

Do you have any amp recommendations to drive these? Keep in mind my son is a college student on a limited budget.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    Options
    This Kenwood is the cheapest I can find and still recommend with a straight face. $105

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC6404/Kenwood-KAC-6404.html?tp=35782

If he can go to $200, this JL Audio 4 channel would get the nod.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136J23204/JL-Audio-J2-320-4.html?tp=35782
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CCNJ
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Thanks again MacLeod. I like your JL Audio recommendation.
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I would have to agree with mac on the amp selection, as he would know alot better than me. I used some off brand amp, cause when I was setting this all up, I was kind of in a hurray, and had a limited budget at the time. Also the speakers are also marine cert as well I think. Which means it can take water that comes from the window on rainy days. (I do not suggest trying to make sure that this is case, as you will be running power to them, and we all know how water a electricity do not really agree with each other.)

There has been a few times where I thought I blew them, but not the case. I have the front speakers in foam baffels at the moment. Even though they are marine cert, and can handle the water etc. Im the kind of person who would rather take the extra time to take care of the speaker, so that I get my money's worth out of it. I think Mac would tell you not to completely inclose them as the are free air speakers. however I do suggesst that you make a baffel that only goes about half way around the speaker. If I can remember to post a pic of what Im talking about I will. Just some thoughts though.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • CCNJ
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks Kaos & Mac for your input so far. My son had a few more questions.....

I already purchased the (2) front 6x5 Polk DB651 and (2) rear 6x9 DB691. I am pretty set on purchasing a new Head Unit- Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD. What's your thoughts on this unit?

What are some good sets of subwoofers and what size 10" or 12" (looking to get 2). I will be putting the subs in the trunk. Should I buy them in a pre-installed case if optional or get a custom case installed once I purchase (2) subs
    Will any amplifier with matching wattage suffice for subs or are there any particular brands I should look at besides the JL Audio J2 320.4
  • DuMbNa2Ty
    DuMbNa2Ty Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Bump

As CCNJ stated, I need some help purchasing subwoofers and another amplifier.

Looking for a good set of subwoofers either 10" or 12", preferably looking for 12's (need 2).
    Also is the JL Audio J2 320.4 a good amplifier for subs or should I be looking for a different brand. Already purchasing one JL Audio J2 320.4 for my set of DB651 and DB691.

Thanks guys