well -- i half figured it out...

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
its not the carb -- i'm not as braindead as i thought...

i ripped it apart again today -- its fine.

its the bloody choke (this is where john says "i told you so")

i dont know if i didn't hook it up right / i didn't mount it right / i damaged it / or it broke itself... but its the choke.

electronic choke at that --

when you push the throttle down you can manually push the choke back to CLOSED with your finger, but then once you hit the gas it sticks open and wont return no matter what... hence -- its all airy.

least i've got it narrowed down.

i disconnected the control arm and moved the butterfly manually while the old man hit the gas ... sounds about 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better...

i'll figure this out -- **** mikey is sposed to take a look at it later this week...

i hope he only wants money to check it out -- otherwise imma runnin for mexico...
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    **** mikey....what a name...is this a guy you really want bending over in front of your car?
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    If he knows what he's doing, HE can bend over infront of my car all he wants but there ain't no way in hell I'd bend over INFRONT of him! At least not with that name!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2003
    exactly, long as he knows his ****... i'll just wear a chastity belt...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    get this odd **** now...

if the gas gauge drops below 1/8 of a tank or just at 1/8 of a tank -- the car wont start.

wtf is that??!?!!?!?

had to pour a cup of gas right into the carb and dump 3 gallons in the tank - then it started.

have my big appointment with the mechanic tomorrow -- best way to drop a thousand bucks and waste 10 hours of my time watching...

least he does good work... makes ya feel better about parting with cash.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    Carbs have mechanical pumps. Well, in most cases they do. That pump is run off of a cam which pushes a rod that pushes a level that actuates the diaphram in the pump to pump the fuel. That is a common type of pump. Some fuel pumps are shaft driven, just like your axles, others are gear driven just like your timing.

Because they are mechanical, the pump doesn't do any work until the engine is turning either by way of starter or internal combustion processes. That is unlike an EFI system that uses an electrical pump which starts pumping as soon as the key is turned towards the ignition circuit. An electric pump builds pressure almost instantly because it is pushing and not pulling. A mechanical pump does not have these advatages and must make up it's 5-8 psi of pressure by creating a vaccum in the line and sucking fuel.

Because of that fact, it can take a while for the car to get started. Also, with less fuel in the tank, gravity does not affect the level of fuel pressure as much. The more fuel in the tank, the more fuel there is trying to push out of the only hole available, the fuel line to the engine. It helps build pressure, sometimes as much as 2-3 psi. So less fuel will lower that gravity fed pressure considerably.

Again, I have to stress that when driving or working on a carbureted engine, you have to forget how simple an EFI engine can be to operate. A carbureted engine should not be a pain in the butt if it is maintained and kept tuned properly but it requires much more activity from the operator of the vehicle to get involved in the operation of the vehicle. It's a learning experience and you know what is so nice about it? The more people that start futzzing around with EFI, the less people there are that know carburetors. Learn how to work on carburetors effectivly (quite a simple task in actuality) and you'll be worth money to somebody who needs that kind of expertise. It's becoming a lost art. I'm sure you can see that what with having to shell out some bucks to get this guy's time. The best thing is, if you ever lose work as an engineer or can't find work, you can get temporary employment that pays well enough to support a decent standard of living by falling back on these "menial" skills that no one possess anymore. That is a nice kind of security to have. Offers a piece of mind that only knowing that no matter what happens, you can survive offers. The best part about knowing it is you don't have to pay someone else to do it either! OK, enough preaching.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    john u'd make a good version of god i think.

just thought u'd like to knw that.

anywho -- makes sense, cool to find out how it actually works.

mechy boy shudn't charge me much to take a look at the choke, and if i can get ahold of **** mikey in the morning before i go then it'll be free...

good ol **** mikey -- just dont call him **** mikey to his face, he hates that.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    good ol **** mikey -- just dont call him **** mikey to his face, he hates that.
    wonder why...
    -Cody