New Box idea?!

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I'm a Bloke from the U.K and i have an idea!

I'm lookin 2 stick a couple of subs into my car, but have been lookin all round for box design's. Being a bit adventurous i though i'd make my own. I've mapped out a couple of ideas already and hoping to build soon.
More to the point though, i need advice on wether i could build a box with the 2 subs facing into the sealed box and leaving the rear of them open. I came up with this idea because of the other types of sealed enclosure boxes around and one i saw that was called a 'bass reflex' box. so i thought maybe this could work in the same way, as when the woofers move away from the coils the air sealed in the box will try to resist the the movement thus, hopefully giving hard thumping but with good, tight, destinct bass.

Please let me know if this would actually work, without destroying anything expensive.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    edited July 2003
    hey dude...

well - u've got sound theory - however, i regret to inform you, its nothing new.

when you mount the sub "normally" with the basket in the box and the front of the cone showing... the air in the sealed box resists the movement of the cone inward and gives you the same kind of response you'd get by flipping them over and leaveing the baskets outside the box.

:)

if you do invert the subs the way you were talking, the only reason for doing so would be cosmetic -- "looks cool with the baskets hangin out"... ya know... thats abotu the only reason someone would do that.... other than the extreme case when they are building a box to fit in a hard to fit-in spot and its absolutely necessary that they flip the sub over.

keep in mind, if you do invert your sub like this, you'll have to swap the positive and negative leads on the speaker so that it is in phase with the other 4 normal speakers in your stereo system.... otherwise it'll throw itself out of phase (nothing damaging, just will sound really odd) andyou'll be saying "why the heck does that sound so weird?"

the only downside to inverting the sub is that you lose a bit of cone area -- where the piston comes up and the legs of the basket stretch out you lose the bass wave emission in those areas which can cut down sound quality and "loudness" by as much as 20% or so -- it'll vary for each sub, but thats at least a general common agreement among people last i heard.

so if u wanna go for flashy looks have fun doin it -- it'll look great if u use subs with nice looking baskets (the momo for example, espeically the old momo)... also keep in mind to build the box to spec minus the displacement of the driver... for example if the recommended box size with displacement of the driver is like 1 cubic foot... and the driver has a displacement of 0.1 cubic feet... then you should build your box (for an inverted driver) as a 0.9 cubic foot box... because that speaker is no longer inside there.

good luck :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    Ok thanx.
    As long as it doesnt knacker the subs then i may try it with the subs both way round and see which sounds betta.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing