Please advise, all help is needed and welcome

Options
Reaper1121
Reaper1121 Posts: 4
edited November 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Here's my dilema:
I want to completely change the stock sound system in my 2002 Tundra Access Cab but my wife wants to buy the system for me as a Christmas "Surprise", so I need to have a wish list all ready so she can just order it and I'll act "Surprised" when I open it Christmas morning. I'm all for that and I've decided on Crutchfield for the excellent after purchase support. I've had good luck with Kenwood head units so I'm good with that. I'm looking for a definite sound quality upgrade, hence the Polks, but I'm not sure if I want db's or dxi's. Which are better? Please keep in mind the size limitations of my doors. Oh, I do have people in the back seats often, hence the coaxials in the rear doors. My budget is around $1500.
Here's the equipment list:
Kenwood DDX516 double din DVD heat unit
Kicker 10ZX700.5 5 channel amp
Polk Audio db6501 - front doors already have the factory components installed-could be dxi if needed to be.
Polk Audio db651s again can be dxi if dxi's are better
JL Audio 8W1v2-4 times 2
Q-Customs Factory-fit Subwoofer Enclosures to house the two subs
EFX 4-gauge Amplifier Wiring Kit and extra RCA cables
12 gauge wire for amps and subs
16 gauge wire for all other speakers
JL Audio SGR-8W3v3/W1v2 to protect subs under right rear seat (the only place to put them)
That's about it. Again roughly $1500 is my limit, passengers in the rear seats often, just looking for something that's better than stock, that sounds louder and cleaner. I listen to all types from Dave Matthews Band live to All That Remains and Disturbed.
Oh, I think Crutchfield throws in a free capacitor with the order.
Please feel free to comment and email me.
Thank you.
Post edited by Reaper1121 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That looks ok but how about not using rear speakers and instead getting a set of MM 6.5's for the front instead of the DB's? The MM's sound better and rear speakers degrade sound quality rather than help it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Reaper1121
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The MM 6:5's won't fit my door, I'd be stuck with the MM 5.25's. Would these be too small? I'm a little worried that the smaller speaker might lack the mid's I'm hoping to get. Rear speakers degrade the sound? How? I'm not trying to be smart, I just don't know.
  • Reaper1121
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Which are better, DXi's or DB's?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Having the same frequencies hitting your ears at different times cause screwy things. Cancellation, smearing of detail and stuff. It can give you some more overall output but in terms of straight SQ, its more of a problem.

You sure the 6.5's wont fit? Can you use a spacer or cut some sheet metal around the opening?

If not then the 5.25's will still work fine. Ive competed with the SR 5.25's and never had a problem. The 6.5's would be best but the 5's will still work great and youll still get better overall sound from them than 4 DB's.

You can bi-amp them as well for more output. Run the mids straight off the amp's rear channels and run the fronts thru the crossover off the amps front channels. This will give you the most flexibility in tuning the output of the tweeters and mids independently of each other.

The DXi's are better than the DB's. The DB's are Polk's entry level line.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Reaper1121
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think the 6.5's won't fit because of speaker protrusion or something, like they're too tall. I will look into it. the bi-amp'ing might just be the way to go. Hmmm.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The MM's are shallow mount (read depth) with the same mounting diameter as the db's. Definitely worth looking into.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The only reason dbs and momo's "don't" fit in my car is because adapters that come with them don't have holes that are perfectly lined up with holes in my car. I got $15 nissan adapters off ebay and those 6.5''s (bds and then momo's later on when i upgraded) went right in, fit like glove, 100% no fitment issues.
    So what i'm trying to say is don't just go by Polks and Crutchfield's car fit guide, make your own research, take your door panel off, get a tape measure and see for yourself. Chances are that those speakers will fit. Just not with an adapter that comes with it. You can also cut out your own adapter out of mdf if u have the right tools.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1