Denon Tuner Model TU-1500RD Black

Conradicles
Conradicles Posts: 6,071
Here is a chance to get a great tuna from Denon model TU-1500RD.

This one functions perfect and is 9/10 cosmetically. Manual is included as well as AM and FM antennas. I'll also throw in a set of 4 cork/rubber isolators.

Here is some great information from fmtunerinfo.com:

Denon TU-1500RD (photo) search eBay
The TU-1500RD is a very common current model tuner with RDS capability and an optional remote control. Our contributor Girard, a well-known DXer, reports: "The TU-1500RD is my DX tuner of choice these days. RF performance is wonderful, and changing the four IF filters for better selectivity is very easy. In wide mode it uses two of the filters, and in narrow mode it uses all four [two of which have a fairly narrow 180 kHz bandwidth - Editor]. It's not bad with the stock filters, but I modified mine by replacing all the filters with 150 kHz Muratas. In this configuration it's very close to being as selective as the Onkyo T9090II. What I like about the TU1500RD is the sensitive and apparently low-noise front end. I've measured mine down to 0.5 microvolt for a usable (in DX terms) mono signal. The tuner handles my high-RF environment (less than five miles from two 100,000-watt FM stations) better than any tuner I've ever tested. I like this tuner so much that I sold my T-9090II. When you open the TU-1500RD it looks like a gutless wonder inside, because most of the components are surface-mounted on the 'underside' of the circuit board. There are very few components mounted on the 'top' of the circuit board. The tuner does not automatically switch from narrow to wide IF mode while tuning, but it does have selectable Auto/Manual tuning mode. I always run mine in manual because in auto it wants to scan to the next fairly strong signal it finds, which is annoying. In manual, it tunes normally in 100 kHz steps, but in manual mode it won't do stereo. [Could there be a problem with this one? - Editor] I think that's kind of odd, but it doesn't bother me for DX work. In either auto or manual, it retains whatever IF setting (wide or narrow) you've selected."

DXer Matt S. adds, "I too am pleased with the TU-1500RD, although I've not modified the filters. The audio quality is far superior to my Yamaha TX-900 but the .01 MHz tuning step on the Yamaha is very useful. I decided the best thing for me was to leave the Denon unmodified and use both tuners as conditions warrant. Having not used a 'regular' (read: unmodified) tuner in years, I can't really compare this unit to other unmodified tuners, but it does fine on adjacents if a signal is up. The real fun, of course, is the RDS display built in." Another DXer, Mike Bugaj, has a writeup on mods for the TU-1500RD, as well as a comparison to the Onkyo T-450RDS, on his website. But DXers Bill N. and Randy Z. complain that "the extended mute every time you change frequency, almost a full second," basically means that the TU-1500RD has to be DXed with in mono. Bill adds, "There is also next to nothing you can do to tweak that tuner as there just isn't much inside other than the big IC that has everything built into it, and the service manual isn't terribly helpful on what pins do what."

Our contributor Dan has more on the TU-1500RD: "The first thing that impressed me was the attractive design and somewhat intelligent layout. The buttons are a little on the small side but spaced far enough apart to be used without hitting two or more buttons at once. Using it for the first time was extremely easy with little surprise. The tuning knob works just like an analog tuner does, except in 'Auto' it will scan until it finds the next station. It doesn't change from narrow to wide mode automatically either, but will stay in either mode when searching. I noticed that the tuner was trying to lock onto even weak stations that barely had any signal that I don't normally don't listen to, but changing to 'manual' would bring in many cleanly. Sonics-wise, nothing really jumped out at me, it was pleasant and non-fatiguing. Soundstage had very good depth, bass was very natural-sounding without being obnoxious or overly boomy, highs were a little laid back, but the detail and clarity is excellent. Overall I'd say the sensitivity of this tuner seem to outweigh any sonic deficiencies there might be because you can hear more stations better than before, at least I can, and any sonic shortcomings are relatively small compared to other less sensitive tuners. The RDS can be a very nice feature, probably more suited for use in cars, but helpful when DX'ing. I think this would be a good tuner for someone who doesn't want to have to pay to have a vintage tuner upgraded and repaired - it just works well out of the box."

Attached is a stock photo.

$125 plus shipping, and I can ship FedEx or UPS, your choice. I'll eat the PayPal fees.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks polkies!
Eric.
Post edited by Conradicles on

Comments

• Conradicles
    edited November 2010
    Here is a picture. This unit looks and performs as new.
  • Conradicles
    edited November 2010
    PM me and I can send more pictures via e-mail.
  • Conradicles
    edited November 2010
    Here are a few more pictures. I love the way this tuner displays radio station data and the names and artist of songs. Pretty slick.:cool:
  • Conradicles
    edited November 2010
    SOLD to the man in the corner in the brown hat!
  • Conradicles
    edited July 2011
    This is for sale again so hopefully Doro or Russ can mark it green for sale again. Here are a few more pictures. This is a great tuna.
  • Conradicles
    edited July 2011
    Price drop to $95 shipped and I'll throw in a set of Blue Jeans Cables LC-1 RCA Interconnects (2 FT, a $29 value).
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited July 2011
    Do you know if this tuner will work with the Denon RC-8000 universal remote? I would guess it would as long as there is an IR receptor on it? So, I gues that's what I am asking. Is there a remote IR receptor on the front of the tuner?

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    edited July 2011
    I just reread the description you posted and saw that there is an "optional remote control". Ooops, sorry for the wasted question. I appologize.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Conradicles
    edited July 2011
    It worked with my Denon remote for an AVR and my Harmony remote.
  • headrott
    edited July 2011
    PM sent.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• Mudslide
    Mudslide Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Hi,

I can't PM you because of low post count (but I'm well-known at AVS, Audiocircle, Audioholics).

If Greg doesn't take the Denon off your hands, I'd be most interested.

Cheers.

Mud
  • Conradicles
    edited July 2011
    Sale Pending to Greg...