What component speakers to buy?

Options
greyford1979
greyford1979 Posts: 749
edited November 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Soon I will be doing a custom for a friend of mine...he's a family man so it's going to be in a Honda Odyssey mini van. I'm building a custom enclosure for the trunk space so that it will be flush with the floor so that he can use all the cargo space of the van once the seats are removed but not have to remove the subs and the amp. And yes the subs and amp will be protected:tongue: He's going to be getting an Alpine head unit(INA-W900BT), Alpine amp, and the newer version of the Type R's. Also will be adding sound deadening material ofc:biggrin: He can't buy components yet because this is all his budget allows as of now. But I did want to start researching different options for him. What do you guys think will work well with this setup? Thanks in advance!:biggrin:
I love animals, they're delicious!
Post edited by greyford1979 on

Comments

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What's his budget for comps?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • greyford1979
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Vital wrote: »
    What's his budget for comps?

I'm guessing maybe around $300-$400 will be his budget. Still won't be for a little while till we do the components, so maybe by then it could go up another $100 or so, depending on the amp he decides on as well.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If $300 is his budget, then the Polk MM's should be high up on the list. Nice neutral sound and hard to beat for the money.

If he can come up with some more scratch then anything from Morel is simply superb but those are kinda hard to find. Hertz is highly regarded (but not by me - seem kinda lifeless).

Judging by all his Alpine gear, he's near an Alpine dealer so check out some of their stuff. Alpine is one of the few (maybe only) brands that makes everything from head units to subwoofers and everything is excellent. Their Type R components are very solid but I always thought they were a little bright. Could be corrected with some tuning though. Their Type X speakers are great. Id use em.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited November 2010
    Options
    hybrid audio legatia pro l1v2 tweets and hertz mille mids!!!!!!!! oh 300-400......save some money!!
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Your Question : What component speakers to buy?

Answer : POLK AUDIO
    lots of info here
    http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/index.php

sub plans
    http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/subbox/

surf for more....

gotta show pictures of the build and completion !
  • greyford1979
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have been checking out many speakers online for him. I want him to go to one of the car audio places near us to listen to some speakers but that's a tough one lol. The subs will the Type Rs, no changing that. I just want him to listen to some others as well. I know they make some good stuff, I personally have just never been much of a fan of the Alpine sound. Again, he won't be the getting the comps for some time yet, but I wanna just do the homework early on even tho he probably won't go with what I recommend lol:rolleyes::eek: When I start building the enclosure for the subs I will definitely post some pics.
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I second the ebay store. Just picked up an SR, wow is it a great sub. Shipping was horrible, but i assume that is because of the holiday season.....but for the price, it was well worth the wait,
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2