head unit questions from a born-again n00b

Options
concealer404
concealer404 Posts: 7,440
edited December 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright, so i'm wanting to run front, rear, and sub.

I would like all channels to be externally amplified, since i hate headunit amps for various reasons.

Now. (prepares for gnashing of teeth.) I'm not hacking up my doors, i'm not going to mess with custom enclosures/kickpanels/whatever.

So. Here's what i've got.

CDT 4"/1" components for front. CDT 6.5" midrange ONLY in rear, and two 8" CDT subs.

I got it all on the cheap, and i'm a cheapass. Looking for a big fat double din headunit. Most of them that i like and am willing to pay for, have only two sets of preouts. Front, and rear/sub.

Proposed solutions that i've thought of:
1) Split the preouts for Front into front and rear, and then filter using the amp. Block high range to rear speakers, and roll off the lows from the front 4s.
2) Split the preouts from Rear/sub, and do the same there. Set HPF/LPF for sub, and same for rears on amp.
3) Sack up and get something with 3 sets of dedicated preouts.

Are they all viable? Or just option 3?

Next question:
I found a Pioneer DEQ-99 for a decent price. Are EQs like this worth bothering with? IF so, being that the DEQ-99 has 3 sets of preouts, how would one make this work with another pioneer headunit that might only have 2 sets of preouts. Again, the goal here is to end up with all channels amped externally.

Unless i'm missing my guess here, i could use ONE set of preouts from the head unit to feed into the DEQ-99, and then the DEQ-99 will feed that through three ouputs, and i can use it to filter as i see fit. Am i on the right track? (Bonus points is that i get more dancing lights, and my inner "ricer" likes this.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japan-Pioneer-DEQ-99-DSP-Equalizer-Graphic-EQ-/360322009241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e4dd8899

Thanks in advance for any help/input. :)
I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
Post edited by concealer404 on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I wouldn't run rears, but its your ride, ears and dosh :smile:

I'd run the 6.5" upfront and the 4" in the rear. Of your proposed solutions I would go with 3.

Cody would know if the dancing lights can interface with another hu. If they can, then jump on them.
  • concealer404
    edited November 2010
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    I wouldn't run rears, but its your ride, ears and dosh :smile:

I'd run the 6.5" upfront and the 4" in the rear. Of your proposed solutions I would go with 3.

Cody would know if the dancing lights can interface with another hu. If they can, then jump on them.

Can't fit 6.5s up front without doing kick panels or hacking my door panels. :frown:

The EQ will accept a set of RCA inputs, so i think that'll work, and give me the bonus of being able to adjust everything on the fly rather than going to my trunk to mess with the amp.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If you can afford the Pioneer, its worth it. Its always worth it to have as many EQ bands as possible. Ideally you want 31 bands PER SPEAKER. Of course youre not gonna get that in a head unit but the more you can get the better.

So yes, if you can fit it in your budget, get the head unit with the best tuning features cause theyll come in handy.

You also want 3 preouts. Yes you can split the RCA's but being able to actually control the level of front and rear speakers independently of each other is pretty important and definitely worth spending a few bucks for.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • concealer404
    edited November 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    If you can afford the Pioneer, its worth it. Its always worth it to have as many EQ bands as possible. Ideally you want 31 bands PER SPEAKER. Of course youre not gonna get that in a head unit but the more you can get the better.

So yes, if you can fit it in your budget, get the head unit with the best tuning features cause theyll come in handy.

You also want 3 preouts. Yes you can split the RCA's but being able to actually control the level of front and rear speakers independently of each other is pretty important and definitely worth spending a few bucks for.

Now, that pioneer EQ seems to only have one pair of RCA inputs. Would it not just take a full range signal from the front RCA preouts from the headunit, and then i can manipulate the signals as i see fit through the front, rear, and sub outputs from the EQ?

I guess i'm asking if i'm right in thinking that because the EQ has one set of inputs, and three sets of outputs, if it negates the "need" for 3 sets of outputs from the headunit?

Thanks for the help so far guys. :)

• arun1963
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I guess i'm asking if i'm right in thinking that because the EQ has one set of inputs, and three sets of outputs, if it negates the "need" for 3 sets of outputs from the headunit?

Thanks for the help so far guys. :)

Yea thats correct. Congrats on snagging it :smile:.
  • concealer404
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Unfortunately, despite the fact that it'll be available for the last 2 months or more, someone else got it literally minutes before i logged on to pull the trigger.

No big deal, although it was way cheaper than the US equivalent (DEQ-9200) usually goes for.

Oh well. C'est la vie. I'll just pay another $100 for one here.

But thank you affirming my thoughts. :D

• arun1963
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If you're buying used you should be able to get a p-800/880 for about $270. That would be much better than the DEQ-99. The 99 gives you TA, the ability to go active but it only gives you a 3 band eq. The prs gives you the same TA, slkightly better xover network and a true 16 band independent l/r eq. Hook this up, run active and you would have great tuning flexibility.

Just a thought.
  • concealer404
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Hrmm... that looks like a pretty decent headunit. My only complaint is that it isn't a double din.

Will do more research, thanks for the tip. :smile:

• KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If you're buying used you should be able to get a p-800/880 for about $270. That would be much better than the DEQ-99. The 99 gives you TA, the ability to go active but it only gives you a 3 band eq. The prs gives you the same TA, slkightly better xover network and a true 16 band independent l/r eq. Hook this up, run active and you would have great tuning flexibility.

Just a thought.

Where did you find it. I have looked, and seem to find it anywhere. I was wanting to get one of these as well, but just can not find it. Link please????
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • KaosTsoc
    edited November 2010
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you can't find it, I might be willing to part with my other P860.

Hmmmmm....... Might be worth it. Have questions though. Sent you a PM on this.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• arun1963
    edited November 2010
    Options
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    Where did you find it. I have looked, and seem to find it anywhere. I was wanting to get one of these as well, but just can not find it. Link please????

I'm talking about the units that pop up from time to time. Thats about what they go for. Have some patience my son. Rome wasn't built in a day :smile:.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'm talking about the units that pop up from time to time. Thats about what they go for. Have some patience my son. Rome wasn't built in a day :smile:.

Yes caesar :). It just really sucks, because I had found the DEH-P800PRS at one point, but did not get it cause I did not have the money. I now have the money, and what do you know it is no longer available. I should have bought then...... Oh well. I know that woofersetc has the DEH-P800PRS, and the DEH-P880PRS on their site, but the availability shows as discontinued, but they have a price next to it. So, Im not sure if that means that have it or not. Im guessing they dont. Oh well....... Such is life.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• KaosTsoc
    edited December 2010
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    How will you ever live without your trustworthy friend, bluetooth?

LOL. I now have a ear piece, and have come to terms with not having it the car. I figure if Im trying to get good sound then I have to sacrifice some things I.E. Bluetooth, and USB connect cord. However as for USB connection, I can always get an adaptor to integrate into the HU. So, yeah you got me.. Cant have your cake and eat it to..........:rolleyes:

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12