Tweeter Placement

eprater1
eprater1 Posts: 175
edited November 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
ok so i got my HAT legatia pro r2's in the mail and now i got to mount them. i have found these (jus scroll down till you see the tweet mounts)

http://www.auto-essentials.com/installs/ford.aspx

but im not sure that i want them pointed towards the cab or more towards the center of the windsheild. any recomendatoins? if i need to fiberglass in a set to the pilliars i can but was wondering if it was going to be worth it vs going with these?
Post edited by eprater1 on

Comments

• PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited November 2010
    Mine are slightly pointing towards the other person, sort of like your hearing the opposite tweeter....more or less because I hate bright tweeters and placing them slightly away made them a bit dull. Try grabbing a piece of duck tape, sticking them in places where they might sound good then when you find the best spot that is where you place them.
    That is what I did. Works out amazing.\
    That is prolly not the "pro" way to doing it, but it worked well for me.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    Tweeters work bests when more on axis. Theyre so directional that there isnt any way around it. Its best to try and test fit as many spots and angles as possible but 9 times out of 10 the best spot will be a little under halfway up the A pillar and firing at the opposite head rest.

If you dont want to hack up your pillars you can try the PVC end cap method. Cheap and works very well and best of all, all you have to do is cut a 3/8" hole in each pillar so when you trade the car in, you dont have much to cover up.

Here's the thread on DIYMA that cover is.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/post-your-own-car-audio-articles/53732-cheap-adjustable-easily-replaceable-tweeter-pods.html
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited November 2010
    The Hybrid L1 Pro R2 are supposed to be excellent off axis tweeters, even though they are ring radiators. They supposedly do not suffer from poor off axis response like other ring radiators.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    Maybe so but youre still going to want to aim them as mentioned. Even with great off axis response, having one 90 degrees on axis and the other about 30 degrees off is still gonna give you fits. Wont be the end of the world but why give yourself more work? Aim them firing at the opposite side head rest and youll have an easier time of getting them level matched.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited November 2010
    thanks for all the help. sorry i havent posted much in the last day or so. sats are always busy for me (lots of beer and football at the tailgate) then on suday i was having to deal with a broken truck.