My Outlaw Audio ICBM Experience

Options
carvinman1
carvinman1 Posts: 62
edited July 2003 in Electronics
To establish a baseline, here is my system.

Polk RT800i Mains
Polk CS400i Center
Polk RT35i Surrounds
SVS 20-39pci Subwoofer
Outlaw 1050 Receiver with an Aragon 4004MK II amp for the mains
Sony DVP-NS755V DVD/SACD player

Can you imagine watching DVD movies on a system similiar to mine without having bass management? Sure, it would work, but the receiver and the speakers might tend to get pushed a little too much. This is the situation that I had while listening to SACD's. My entry level Sony player has very little in the way of bass management. If I set the speakers to large, it wasn't really bad, but the system sounded somewhat stressed. The large setting also meant that the subwoofer was not being used for stereo SACD playback. If I set the speakers to small, the subwoofer worked in stereo, but I was stuck with the player's crossover point of 120 Hz. Either way, I felt I was not getting the most out of my setup.

The Outlaw Audio Integrated Controlled Bass Manager (ICBM) seemed to be the logical choice to enhance SACD playback. I have used this unit for about a month now, and I finally pulled myself away from enjoying the music to make this post. This unit basically does what it is advertised to do. It allows you to set separate crossover points for left/right front channels, center front channel, left/right surround channels, and a center surround (which I do not use). I have my mains and center set to 60 Hz, and my surrounds to 80 Hz. The unit allows crossover points of 40, 60, 80, 100, and 120 Hz, or Bypass. I have the LFE mix control set to max, per the manual's instructions, and I vary the Subwoofer Level Control depending on the source disc or stereo/multi-channel playback. With these settings, all of the speakers sound extremely clear and unstressed. The SV subwoofer is getting a good workout, but it isn't even breaking a sweat. It is great to have the sub filling in the low end on stereo playback. I highly recommend this unit to anyone wanting to get the most out of SACD or DVD-Audio playback. Oh well, my ears are smiling and I must get back down to the basement and crank up some more tunes. If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer them.
Later,
Danny
Post edited by carvinman1 on

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    intercontinental ballistic missle?

haahaa :D i know i said that before but so what? its still funny
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by carvinman1
    To establish a baseline, here is my system.

Polk RT800i Mains
    Polk CS400i Center
    Polk RT35i Surrounds
    SVS 20-39pci Subwoofer
    Outlaw 1050 Receiver with an Aragon 4004MK II amp for the mains
    Sony DVP-NS755V DVD/SACD player

Can you imagine watching DVD movies on a system similiar to mine without having bass management?
    Danny

yes i can... and I do all the times. We have very similar set ups. although you have a (much) better sub than i do.

RT800i's fronts
    CS400i center
    FX/300i surrounds
    PSW350 sub
    Toshiba SD4700 DVD-audio player
    Marantz SR5000 receiver
    Adcom 2 ch amp for fronts
    3 Marantz mono blocks for center and surrounds

I don't have bass management either in my system. I've been wanting to read a review on the Outlaw ICBM for a while now. It sounds like it did what you were hoping it would for you set up.

What type of interconnects do you use between the ICBM and your
    receiver/amp?

I need more bass in my center. It sounds very lacking in bass. I have it biwired too. Still lacks bass in DVD's and DVD-A.

Thanks for posting your reveiw Danny. it's very helpful.

Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • carvinman1
    carvinman1 Posts: 62
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I use a combination of AR and Radio Shack Gold interconnects throughout my system.
    Danny
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out in my head how I would connect this to my receiver.

Right now I am using the pre outs to external amps. I guess i'd hook up the pre out to the ICBM. then to the amps.. and finally to the speakers. This sounds right.. but it would add a few more interconnets to the system.. UGH! I've got wires, cables and interconnects up the ying yang already. :p It might make sense to get a 6 channel cable instead.. it would be a all in one cable. I know IXOS makes one of those... I have one going from the DVD audio player to the receiver's 6 channel inputs. Hmmm??

The ICBM still runs what about $250?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2003
    Options
    what type of control is this? i have a sub controler but the olny thing i cant controll os the xo point i have gain phase and ss filter control. i can also run 1 sub out of phase of the other.