subwoofer location

pandemonium
pandemonium Posts: 7
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am new to this car audio stuff and I am a little purplexed in understanding where to place a subwoofer in a car. I have consulted with several car audio shops and they have given me mixed opinions (like having the subs fire forward, backwards, down or up). What is the difference and what kind of sound will I get if the subwoofer and box is firing rearward as opposed to forward (or up or down)? I was considering placing my subs on the rear deck of my car firing up just like the '66 fastback Mustang in the Polk gallery. Is this advisable, and what kind of sound will I get? Some shops have advised me against this way, but I am looking of sound quality, and I do not want the bass locked in the trunk of my car. I want to use a sealed box. Any advice and help from fellow Polk enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by pandemonium on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    Experiment.

Place the sub facing whatever way it sounds best you.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    dude, do what i did in the "landboat" --

i used 2 8's but a single 10 would work fine... actually better... anyway, cut a 10" diameter hole in your rear deck... or a 6 x 10 square hole or whatever is suitable to give a good size opening clsoe to the size of the sub but not going to make u're deck look ****.

then put a grille or carpet over that hole (thin speaker grille carpet).

then build a sealed box for your sub and moutn the sub in it...

you will then one way or another get that sub box to sit just about an inch or two below that cutout hole (box goes in the trunk, sit it just beneath the hole). and have it fire straight up through the hole.

get the idea?

that'll keep your back deck from rattling and allow you to get that "sub in the cabin" thing u want.

its a bit of workand will chew up a few saw blades but its worth it i think. least it was for me.

however i think u should really also think abotu doing them in the trunk -- a sufficient port hole (say 8" diameter with a grille) on your back deck will "let" a good amoutn of that bass from the trunk in -- some people will remove their rear deck speakers and jsut leave te hole open - allowing those holes to do that job... two 12's in the trunk with a decent port hole will give you a nice boom.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • pandemonium
    edited July 2003
    Thanks Jstas and PBD for you help and advice. Its funny that you mention using a couple of 8 inch subs because I was actually considering at one point going that route. Since my car is has bucket seats with a major gap in the middle (its an ex-highway patrol car), I was actually considering building a custom console that would house at least a couple of 8 inch subs. But since I am new to all this audio stuff I have no idea how it will sound and if I should have them fire up or down. Then I thought about building a box housing two 10 inch subs (even though my car has a huge trunk, there is not enough height from the top of the deck to the bottom of the trunk) firing forward. As you can see, I had a few ideas about placing the sub(s) but my main concern is whether it would sound good (looking for sound quality). I want to do it once and I want to do it right, plus I don't have a lot of cash, so I am on a budget. But thanks again for all your help, and I will strongly consider what you guys said.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    well throw this in there for thought too -- if you leave at least 4, but not more than 6 or 7 tops, inches of clearance betwen the sub face and the floor (obviously i'm talking DOWN firing them), then a couple of 8's between the two seats in anicely made console that's carpeted or vinyl-ed to match the interior would be pretty sweet -- hell if u do a real good job u can build a cup holder into it or something.

DX8's would slam -- if the new momo 8's are anything remotely like those or better, then those oughta do ya well too :)

2 or 3 would be suffient for a system where u ran about 50 or 60 x 4... however if u had more power going to your highs than that, the 8's may not be loud enough for ya.
  • pandemonium
    edited July 2003
    Thanks for the advice PBD. I'll take that into consideration. Just thought I would let you know that I am running Polk/Momo components both in the front and back. Do you have any pics of your ride anywhere or on any website?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    pics of my 4 "babies" will be forthcoming at some point -- when my wacky girlfriend decides to get over here with her 35mm ... polariods just dont cut it.