OHM load question for receiver/LSiC

Options
J9_ls1
J9_ls1 Posts: 20
Hey:

I have a quick question about the Onkyo NX-NR900 and the Polk LSiC. The specs on the website state that this is only a 6 ohm receiver.
(http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?p=s&m=TX-NR900&class=receivers)

However, the center and rears are 6 ohm output. However the LSiC and LSiFx are 4 ohm speakers. Is there any problem with this? I just noticed it as I was browsing through the specs.

Thanks for all your help
Post edited by J9_ls1 on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited July 2003
    Options
    You might run into problems at moderately high levels...the amp might run a lot hotter...

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Are you sure the LSiC and LSiFx are 4 ohms? I find that hard to believe. I also believe that the Onkyo receiver is rated to safely operate at 6 ohms on all channels. It would be more accurate to state the receiver is 8 ohms nominal.

Although, I could be completely wrong about all this.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Welcome J9_Ls1 and gmorris (good to see another Buckeye around),

The Lsi C is a 4-ohm (check the current product line centers and LSiC spec's).

As for the Onk's spec's, it seems a number of manf's have gone to spec'ing 8 and 6 ohm power ratings. Probably is a marketing decision because the 4-ohm specs fall well short of doubling the 8-ohm. But if you look at the headroom spec's for 4 ohm and 2 -ohm, they show plenty of short term power. So I would have little concern about it having enough "oomph" for HT.

Above especially true if combined with a decent sub that allows you to set all speakers to small.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD