Started the Process

dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited July 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Today, I finally went to check out the Musical Fidelity A3 integrated and maybe get the ball rolling. The integrated was there.... only now it had a partner. The A3CD CD player. Both Demos.

I bought my Rotel RCD-1070 player at this store back in March so, while talking to the owner of the store, he mentioned he would buy back my CD player for "Essentially for the same price I paid". I can bring in my Rotel and do a side by side with the A3CD on the A3 integrated to see which one I like more. Now I imagine I'm going to like the A3CD which will be an extra $300 than I paid for the Rotel new, assuming I get what I paid for.

Am I in a good position to bargain because they're Demos or will he have evened the field by willing to buy back my Rotel?

Any thoughts would be nice.
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Bump....

Hey Dan, you there?

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Bump...

I guess not.

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Bump..

Anyone there?

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Bump.

A little stat padding. :D

Bedtime.

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    That's awesome man! Did you get to listen to the integrated?

I haven't heard any MF CD players but I bet it will sound nicer than the Rotel. Ask him if you could bring in your speakers to compare the two CD players and hear how your speakers sound with the integrated.

Maybe ATCVenom has heard some MF stuff. I remeber him saying that he wants to get some MF gear. Maybe he auditioned some stuff already. Let's wait for him to chime in. What's the retail on the CD player?

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Here's what I'm thinking...

I get him to set up a pair of speakers that will show what the combo can do. I'm going to be making a speaker purchase, a year or 2 from now. Then listen to the Rotel and the A3CD duke it out.

That way, I know how far I can go with the MFs.

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    I should be in more of a bargaining position because the MF models are both discontinued demos and my Rotel CD player is still current, right?

***Edit***
    The retail on the integrated is $1500CDN. I don't know about the CD player, what Sean said I imagine.
    ***Edit***

• Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited July 2003
    Th Musical Fidelity can even make my Bryston a little nervous--BUT,DO IT VERY QUICKLY BEFORE YOU HAVE TIME TO REALLY ANALYZE IT TOO MUCH--YOU'LL BE INCREDIBLY HAPPY WHEN YOU GET A COUPLE OF MONTHS OF HARD USE ON IT ---DO IT----DO IT---DO IT---if you ever heard the MF"S with a pair of triangle celiuses (2,000 bucks) you will get goose bumps..
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    I'm talking the A3. You must be talking the A3.2.

I just got home from picking up the A3 Integrated. Had a bit of supper, to let the anticipation build. Haven't set it up yet. I've butterflies in my stomach. I hope it wasn't the food. :D

The A3CD was pretty nice, a slight improvement over the Rotel. It was nicely smooth. Put in something upbeat, like Floyd's Money and there wasn't a big difference. One thing I did notice was the A3CD was setup with Kimber Silver Streaks and huge power cord of some sort. My Rotel was using the stock power cord and Kimber Heros. Maybe that was the difference, I don't know.

Needless to say I passed on the A3CD only because for serious listening i'll be using vinyl not CDs.

Anyway, off to set that **** up. :D

Derick.

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Sweet **** of course. ;)

• Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited July 2003
    Alright--glad to see you did that--real good stuff man..real good--
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    She's a sweet **** indeed.

Thanks Gary.

I had a few buddies over for beers and there were many "that sounds awesome" being said. I can't believe it. Once I set my turntable up properly I'm sure it'll get even better, which I can't imagine.

BTW, I got it for a pretty good price.

Derick.

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Just a little more...

I've never heard the RT1000i sound better. Bass is deeper than ever, no need for a sub. The vinyl sounds beautiful. I haven't passed 1/2 on the volume. Plenty of power for me, by far. I'm totally elated with the purchase. The best one so far.

Derick.

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Well done DC...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Boy, they sure no how to get ya. :)

I'll probably get the matching MF A3CD that i was talking about. The Rotel sounds bright when I turn it up. The A3CD was warmer and sounded more like vinyl. The owner of the store offered for me to bring it home if I wanted listen to it again. I think I'll wait a few weeks.

I'll tell you one thing though, I cannot believe how good the turntable sounds on the integrated. There's so much depth and soundstage and sounds much more real.

Now to save up for some speakers. :D

A very happy clam. Derick.

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    That's super cool man. I trust you're going to do a review on the integrated in the future? Maybe with the MF CD player as well? Your dealer is great man. I think it will be easier for you to notice the difference when you audition the CD player in your own rig. What speaker cables/interconnects are you using? Of course the inteconnect is for the CD player.

I always hear that MF amps has very good punch in the upper bass which makes music sound more "lively". Are you getting any of this? How's the HF? Are you planning on going LSi for new speakers? Glad to hear you're diggin the new toy. Keep us updated on your audio adventures.

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Man o man,

I don't know why I waited so long. I don't know what more I can say in a review other than wow.

Everything is alive. There's bass coming from my RT1000i where there wasn't before. Soundstage much wider, imaging much better and lots and lots of power to spare.

I'll tell you this for sure, my Turntable sounds so much better than the Rotel CD player now. i haven't been listening to CDs. That's part of the reason for maybe getting the A3CD player, it wasn't as harsh on a few things. In Pink Floyd's Money, when the Sax kicks in towards the end, the Rotel's highs were a little piercing. Where as the MF was silky smooth nice and laid back. You could crank it and not hurt your ears in the process.

The mid-bass thing could be the reason the RT1000i are putting out more and deeper bass. I don't know.

I'm using Kimber Heros for interconnects. The Kimber Silver streaks have always intriged me. I'm not sure if that was the difference between the 2 CD players. I'd have to try em.

One thing that sounds amazing is The Doors Riders on the Storm. It has some thunder and rain that sounds astonishing. I guess it's the fact that you know what a storm sounds like a when it sounds real like that, wow. I got the worst case of the goosebumps in my life listening to one of Pearl Jam's x-mas 45s playing with Ben Harper for Indifference.

Buddy, you gotta get your Turntable going. With the equipement you have, you won't be disappointed.

Still a very happy clam,

Derick.

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Sorry man, can't help it. ;) I'm glowing like a new bride.

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    I'll stop now.

1800 posts, what the hell is a Stronzo?