Turntable Shelf

Options
dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited July 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I made a trip the Home Depot and picked up a couple of wall brackets and a piece of 1/2 inch plywood laminate. My plan is to cut a piece of plywood 22" wide and 17" deep. That will give me 2 inches all around to play with once I have the TT on it. I will proably cut a whole in middle for easy access of the shelf which may be about 14' wide, my TT is 17" wide. The wall brackets are supposed to hold upto 100 pounds if mounted to the wall studs.

Am I missing anything?
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Isolation! What are you going to use to damp bad vibes?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    Options
    That sounds great Derick. I'd make my own rack if I could but don't have any wood working skills.

Russman suggested that you need some damponig but if the wall you're planning to use doesn't vibrate much I don't think you'll have any problem.

If it vibrates, the only thing I could think of is using two pieces of plywood and have two soft mouse pads glued between the two plywood. You can also use one mousepad cut into four pieces and place them on the corners. Let us know how it turns out.

good luck

Maurice
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Try using Dynamat for the back of the brackets and the bottom of the shelf. You can use it anywhere that it won't be seen, it has graphx on it or a silver film. I used this for my speakers and it worked very well for resonance on my mounting wall.

www.dynamat.com
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm starting to realize that vinyl is pretty sensitive. With my new wood floors, I have to tip toe the TT so it won't skip. I think I can hear some bass amplification from the vibration from my entertainment unit. When I touch the TT I can feel the chassis vibrating.

Maurice, you've gotta get a cart for that TT. I like what I hear already and I know it can get a lot better.

That's a cool idea. Everything is all wood so, I could use the Dynamat and throw some molding around to hide it.

Thanks guys, you're always help.

Keep in mind, I'm just getting into vinyl. I'll be giving you guys my impressions after every tweak and upgrade. Should be fun.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Just an idea....

When I went to college in '83, obviously vinyl was still going strong.

In the dorm, I screwed four hooks into the ceiling. I hung a quality twine from each hook down to about chin level, put moderately stiff springs on the end of each rope, then attached a wooded shelf to the rope/springs.

We didn't have any problems with isolation. And it looked pretty cool.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Burdette - That sounds really cool. I would like to get a TT in the future, just so I can check out some vinyl.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I would be a little concerned about it swaying.

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Just a thought here. Dump that noisey laminate wood and get a couple pieces of MDF board. You could glue a few pieces together to make it even thicker (maybe 3" thick) and the added mass may help you out because the resonance of the piece will be very low in frequency. Also, I notice that the walls do not move with the floor. You should be able to get a sumo wrestler to jump up and down beside it without a hitch!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the thought, I'll be cutting a nice big hole in the bottom so I think the resonating will be minimal.

• madmax
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Enough mass to dampen the horizontal wall movement and lower the res freq would be nice. From what I hear a lot of audiophiles like a particular cheap table from Ikea because it has a high mass top and spindly legs. Not really an option for wall mounting though. I looked it up at one point and it was about $60. Unfortunatly I can't remember the name of it. I guess if it doesn't cause a feedback or rumble problem it doesn't really matter anyway.
    madmax

• dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I think its called the flurble....or the kinklefarg....no wait its the burbletuuf....I can't remember either :)
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Funny, I've heard of that table being good too. Don't know the name either. :)

• madmax
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I finally got a table saw last month and I've been thinking a lot about building something to sit my tt on. Sounded simple until I started trying to figure out what I wanted it to do. Might be a good first project for me as I'm sure I will have to redo it a few times before it looks good (not many woodworking skills) and sounds good. I was looking at the VW-1 wall mount shelf but it is expensive and too small anyway. It might be worth looking at from a design standpoint though. Now I'm trying to think where I saw it. I think it was on amusicdirect.com
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    dc,

Best isolation is the next room. It's a good idea for any source, but especially so for vinyl. And since vinyl requires extra legwork anyway, a few extra feet of travel won't matter.

I'd avoid the wall mount... too much area exposed and the walls are not that stiff either.

The ceiling suspension is workable, but leveling the platter is difficult. I once saw a demo with a TT suspended from the ceiling (Garrard I think)... upside down. Record clamp and "reverse" balancing of the tone arm are all that are needed. No benefit except a high "cool factor"...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Another room? Whoa. ;)

I think my entertainmen unit is really hurting the quality for me. The best I can do is mount it close to the edge of the wall that's not a corner.

Right now, if I play some vinyl and turn up my new baby past 1/2 I get some bad bass feedback.

• madmax
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dcarlson
    Another room? Whoa. ;)

Right now, if I play some vinyl and turn up my new baby past 1/2 I get some bad bass feedback.

A good quality table took care of this for me. At this point I can sit my table in front of the speker and it performs without these problems at very high bass levels. So what took care of this problem? I'm not absolutely sure but I think a few things helped. A clamp on the spindle now holds my lp solidly so it cannot vibrate, the platter is a high mass version which in conjuntion with the clamp causes my lp to appear to the tone arm to be the same mass as the whole assembly and a high mass object to sit the table on allows a disapation of these vibrations into the object rather than vibrating the platter. Starting to make sense at this point?
    madmax

EDIT: Try moving the table from between the speakers if that is where you have it. Even if all else is not perfect this sometimes helps. I used to think this was an obvious condition for turntables to experience (the feedback) but it isn't.

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Makes sense to me.

Another reason I was going to shelf mount is for easy access to the underneath of the TT so I can easily adjust the suspension height. I have suspicion my subchassis isn't adjusted properly. It's a pain in the **** to get under it, adjust, check. Now, with my new integrated, the phono stage is a lot better and it's revealing a lot more. I haven't had a chance to fiddle with the TT yet since the new purchase friday. I'll do that tonight, maybe and let you know. Thanks for the input.

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I adjusted the suspension on the TT and it helped. Now, I'll only get the bass feedback when I turn my amp up to 3/4 full volume. Which is way loud.

• madmax
    edited July 2003
    Options
    That should be close to good enough. Reading your other post about the integrated, I was wondering if it has a decent rumble filter? A lot of them mask too much sound but some seem to work ok. Mine removes too much.
    madmax

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I wouldn't know the difference yet.

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited July 2003
    Options
    here is a DIY sand filled isolation platform that I plan to build some day for my CD player. Can't be too hard or expensive to make. It's gotta be worth a try...

TNT Isolation Platform
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • madmax
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I can see it now, a kitty litter pan filled with sand. And why would your kitty not want to make it his favorite place?

It wont be long before you hear the differences and become very critical. That is what's so cool about mechanical analog. Everything changes the sound!

But seriously the sand idea has been on my list for quite some time as well. I had never seen this article but had seen the "big rock little something" in some magazine. Same idea. I wonder if it would be benificial to build this idea into a wall mount? Sounds interesting.

I wonder why you have to have river sand, not beach sand???
    madmax

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Good link, thanks.

Definitely something I'll keep in mind for the future. I may need to start buying some power tools to do all of this stuff.

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax001
    I wonder why you have to have river sand, not beach sand???
    madmax

I'm not sure. maybe river sand is denser than beach sand, not to say that beach sand is dumb... ha ha, yeah that was bad!

Thanks, I'll be here all week! :D
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    It's ideal to get the heaviest, densest materials as possible to place the TT on to minimize any transfer of vibration? I'm starting to get the idea... Would marble be the densest material for a platform?

I'm still going to try the wood shelf, it should make a difference, at least in terms of walking up to the TT without having to tip toe there and then tip toe back to my chair. That really sucks, and I'm finding I'm tip toeing from my CD player, doh.

• madmax
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dcarlson
    It's ideal to get the heaviest, densest materials as possible to place the TT on to minimize any transfer of vibration? I'm starting to get the idea... Would marble be the densest material for a platform?

You know, that is the same exact question I asked when I was trying to figure it out. NO! was the answer. Something about being too hard or something if I remember correctly. It's a strange audio world out there.

There was some talk about what you are looking for it to do. I'm getting into guesses here because I don't fully understand but it goes something like this. Lets say your motor vibrates (as it does) and you want to get rid of that vibration. You would have to transfer that vibration to something too heavy to vibrate. If you transfer it to something too light it will also vibrate. But... maybe another problem is coming from the outside (like maybe feedback) in which case you want to isolate the whole assembly. If you isolate it you still need something heavy enough to tame the motor vibrations so something like a mass sitting on some rubber with the turntable spiked to the mass. Damn it is so confusing but the more you think about what your possible problems are the easier it is. The main hurdle for me was to really take enough time to look at it rather than just deciding what is best without thinking. What really got me thinking about all this is the fact that they sell isolation pods to fully isolate and yet they sell spikes to tranfer. Not only that but then they get into vertical and horizontal isolation. One device I looked at was a metal ball between two metal cups. This provides vertical transfer but horizontal isolation. Think about that one. Whew... Sorry to go on but I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I need a social life or something.

madmax

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Jesus... I think I got ya. Now, I have to really think about this. Hmmmm, takes me back to high school physics. :D

I've never really looked into pods yet, I think I should. I didn't realize some would isolate and some would transfer. Cool.

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    BTW, what ever happened to RLW? I know asked a while back, then emailed him.

• madmax
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I don't know but I wish he would continue to post. He is the one who got me into all this mess. :D
    madmax