Going Active!

eprater1
eprater1 Posts: 175
edited November 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok so im gonna run a HRU.4 amp for my font stage (140x4 @ >.002THD) off of my pioneer prs-800prs head unit. im looking at going with a set of HAT Legatia pro L1 R2 tweeters and a mid to be named later. since i plan to use the built in crossovers in the headunit and run the speakers directly off of the amp there is no reason in using any crossovers between the amp and speakers right?
Post edited by eprater1 on

Comments

• eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited November 2010
    DSkip wrote: »
    Nope. Make sure you have the crossovers set up properly and the right lines going to each speaker before you turn the power on. There won't be anything there to protect them if you don't.

Roger that, double check wiring, gains set at 0 and curves adjusted conservativly.

anyone tried out these tweets? they better be sweet. supposed to pay down to the 600hz no problem :eek: so im thinking they will blend well.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    You are NOT going to want to play those things down to 600 Hz. A tweeter playing below 2 KHz is going to make your eyes bleed!

Check out Madisound and look at some of their tweeters. Just as good and 80% cheaper. If youre wanting to buy the best set of tweeters available, get these Scanspeak Illuminators for $118 each. Theyre expensive, but they are the best.

These Seas aluminum dome tweeters are also quite excellent but these LPG aluminum dome tweets are my current favorites. Im currently running the home audio version of these and I REALLY like them.

Aluminum dome tweeters can sound really good if you run them right. Biggest thing with them is to run them as on axis as possible.

If youre wanting to buy raw drivers to build your system, I highly suggest buying from Madisound and Parts Express. These are equal and usually better quality than the ones youre buying off the shelf from HAT or whoever else but for a lot more. For example, the old SR tweeter ran for $100 each. Here ya go. Virtually the same thing for $25 each.

Now woofers is where you can go to the car audio manufacturer. There are still awesome raw woofers available from Seas and especially Scanspeak, but you can still get top notch mids from the top brands in car audio. (and Scanspeak mids wont work in IB installations which make them pretty hard to use in a car)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D