Changing Back Surrounds

Options
reeltrouble1
reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
edited July 2003 in Speakers
I recently added a two channel amp to my rig to go to 7.1 for movies, my Onk has multi-channel for 7.1, the Pioneer DVD only has outputs for 5.1. Am thinking of putting a Y-splitter on the DVD multi channel to get a mono feed to each side for both surround and back surround for SACD and DVD-A. Has anybody tried this?

I am using the R20 Polk gave me when I bought the FXi50. Saw a nice deal on RTi 28. Anybody using the RTi28? How do you like them. Thinking of replacing the R20's with them.
Post edited by reeltrouble1 on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited July 2003
    Options
    My 2 cents, the R20 is a Jensen speaker with a Polk grill. It really IMO of course isnt that great. The RT15i smashes the R20 is every respect except bass and the R20 is boomy when doing that. The RT25i (RTi28) can waste it easily. The RTi28 is a step above.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have the RT25i's and love them. Very good speaker for the price. I have heard a few demo's of the 28's and liked what I heard. Maybe a tad deeper in the bass area, but it was very suttle.

You would not go wrong with the 28's.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I concur, the RTi28(25) is a nice bookshelf speaker.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Double_S
    Double_S Posts: 56
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I would definately do that upgrade. IMO there is no comparison between the two. BTW I am using RTi25's for my rear surrounds and really like them.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info, just ordered the 28i from Crutchfield they are selling for 199.99 for the pair, a pretty good price break on a nice cherry pair to match my fronts!!

I did split my surround signal and sent the left and right respective signals to the surround and back surround. My reciever has multi-channel jacks for 7.1 but the DVD only 5.1 so had to use a Y-cable. Listened to Rumours DVD-A and Diana Krall on SACD, everything sounded nice, so I am looking forward to this little upgrade in back speakers.

There are times that Krall just takes me somewhere else, if you like jazz at all check her out.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    RT1 - Glad to hear about your purchase. I like Crutchfield also. Especially now that their prices on Polk have dropped into the real world.

Krall has a few fans on the forum, not suprised that you enjoy her. I will have to check her out someday.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    i dont like the music, but shes kinda hot lol
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,658
    edited July 2003
    Options
    These would be awesome............. Might try to haggle a bit since they've come down in price for new

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10942
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I really did think about going for the 38's. I think they were around 80 bucks more, not really that much more. But buying at Cruchfield you still have the 30 days to try out what you bought. So if I dont like the 28's well "its only money".:D
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2003
    Options
    had a cherry pair of 28's, I loved them... only to be replaced by my recent 38's i bought which i love even more.. Thanks POLK :)

easy on those 38's in the Flea market.. i'm working on those :)

he lives in Florida where i do, wil let ya know if i can knab them??
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I really like the way the cherry fits in with my room, so thats what I am going for. Feel free to deal away on those black 38's I bet they sound sweet especially after getting them up and tweaked a bit.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Well my 28i's arrived today. I have to say that the cabinet size shocked me. It just seems so small. I just thought it would be around the same as the R20's I was using. Well I have hooked them up but little one is watching VCR--The Lion King. Did notice some nice music coming through them on the soundtrack though.

So I am using them as my back surrounds, I listen to about 50-50 video to audio, enjoy alot of multichannel music also. So I have my amp driving the back surrounds, think they can handle what I need or should I step to 38's while the getting is good?
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    As back surrounds I think they will be aok. If you want bigger, than by all means get while the getting is good. :)