Thud sound on pwer off

Options
brianwayne671
brianwayne671 Posts: 41
edited July 2003 in Speakers
I have the HK AVR325 and am getting a thud sound from at least 4 out of my 5 speakers when powering the unit off. When powering on, I can hear an ever so faint thud also. The sound when powering on is so faint that you need to have your ear to the speaker to hear it. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Brian
Post edited by brianwayne671 on

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    power conditioner maybe?

i get a thud from my woofers when i turn on my blacklight, or turn it off....only sometimes howwever sometimes its fine.

i dont really know what to do, i would wait for one of the more expirenced members to answer this one
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Power conditioner would make it worse, it makes everything the same voltage wise, so the thump would be louder. The thud he is hearing is a normal sound from when the amps shut down. Big voltage change, its absolutely normal. Rock on!
    Airplay, try plugging your stereo into another outlet, or into a surge protected circuit, it will minimize that thud, if not get rid of it. Atleast it did for me.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The thud is caused by an in rush of power to your receiver. Most systems have a delay or buffer circuit to compensate for this. Either your HK does not have this or the circuit may be damaged. Try turning off your speakers with the A/B speaker switch when your done listening and then turn them back on after you apply power.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • Airplay355
    edited July 2003
    Options
    MX,

my speakers and my receiver are both plugged into a surge protector and the black light is plugged into en extension cord from the same outlet, but not from the power strip. RS had suggested a power conditioner thats y i mentioned it, i know nothing about power conditioners, nor do i want one. any other suggestions on how to get rid of the noise?
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Nope, just a house hold problem -- someone may have an idea. But I have yet to find one.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Airplay355
    edited July 2003
    Options
    oh well, it doesnt bother me much...and i dont think its loud enough to hurt my speakers....i think and hope lol
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Have that happen to me as well. It seems to be only from my sub when I turn the TV off while the receiver has the TV audio selected. (receiver never gets turned off.)

Seemes ever since I upgraded my rears and readjusted my Xover settings the thud is much smaller. Don't exactly know what one has to do with the other but hey it isnt as loud now. :)

This all brings me to a question, should I be turning my receiver off or will leaving it on be ok as long as it doesn't overheat?
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I turn my receiver off. Even thou it doesn't overheat.. the darn thing pumps out some serious heat... plus having a two channel amp that pumps out even more heat.. and three mono block amps actually raises the temp in that half of the room. it's incredible how much heat is generated by components. If I add any more things.. i'll have to be looking into a cooling fan i'm afraid. Oh yeah, the TV generates heat too.

As for the thump. I get a small thump too. I'm not worried that it will damage any of the speakers.. it's so slight of a thump. The two channel Adcom amp seems to have about a half second delay before sound comes out.. while the mono blocks have about a 1 second delay before sound it heard. I only really get a thump from the sub.. which is the only speaker directly connected to the rear of the receiver.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Airplay355
    edited July 2003
    Options
    same here, only the subs thump....and ditto on the heat thing lol
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    My room temp is 15 degrees hotter than the rest of the house. Unless I turn on the fan, than its like 10 degrees colder. But my receiver runs at about 80-90. My amps run from 90-100. Together their round 100-110. I expect it to rise to about 125-130 in receiver/amp heat. Effin hot. But with the fan on it stays about 75 in my room. So I'm cool wit it. My sub has a 10db thump when the washer/dryer turns off. It also has a thump when the bathroom light turns on.
  • Airplay355
    edited July 2003
    Options
    my room is usually a nice 66 degrees...with the A/C that is