Turntable Problem?

Options
dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited July 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I bought Radiohead's new album on vinyl. When I play it, it's way too slow. It's heavier, I think 180g maybe 200g. All other records seem to be fine. I don't think the belt slipping.

Any Ideas?
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Alot of new and rereleased vinyl is 45 rpm.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Really? :confused:

It is a 12 inch. I haven't used the 45 speed on my TT yet, I'll give it a try at lunch. I hope it works.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    So how many grooves are there on a record? (per side) ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ya ya, Tour almost got me with that question once, nice try. :D

After a little bit of searching, it looks like it's pressed at 45. :o Chalk that one up for a lesson in vinyl.

What's the benefit of the 45 pressing? Better quality?

• gidrah
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Yes. Many single albums are now double record sets. It gives more length of the groove to handle the same information. It's often an audible difference too.
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Cool, keep your fingers crossed for me that the Thorens' 45 speed works.

• gidrah
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If I were you I wouldn't even bother. After all it's a heavy vintage belt drive turntable. If this Thorens company you speak of is so good you'd think they'd build other stuff too. Besides it's not like you can go to Best Buy or Circuit City to look at it sitting by itself between the EQs and dual cassette decks.

On the other hand I have a Pioneer that's direct drive (you won't have to worry about the belt wearing out), fully automatic (I can hit a button and the arm moves up, over and down plays the album and returns to the integrated resting place), and has a pitch control with a way cool strobe light. It's great to speed up the songs. The dustcover does have a cigarette "hot" burn on it. My buddy was twistin' a fatty on it back in '87 and had an accident. But this doesn't effect the sound. But it does 45s great. It even has a "professional" needle. Stanton DJ cartridge (DJ standsfor disc-jockey). It has an S shaped arm with a bunch of numbers at the back. I cranked them up to 10 and it really rocks now. "Lassie Come Home" never sounded better.

If you want to trade, I will. Just make sure to not pack it too tightly as this will only add to the cost. Also, don't insure! That's where they get ya. They act like ya' need it, but it actually costs more.

:D:D:D:D
    Sorry to slip, but it got better (to me) as I went along.
    :(:(:(:(
    Much of this is true. In fact, all but the Lassie and 10 references.

Good luck,
    Mark
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the offer, I'll have to pass. :)

I'm totally happy with Thorens other than a couple bumps in the road getting it going, cart and leads. Truth is, I haven't played any 45s on it yet, let alone even tested the speed.

I set it up last night in my new place after doing a bit of cleaning to it and it sounded fantastic. Soundstage much wider and imaging a little tighter than my Rotel CD player. I was in awe listening to Buffalo Springfield and heard some stuff I've never heard before, that's always cool.

• dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Lassie Come Home? What are you referring to?

• gidrah
    edited July 2003
    Options
    An album.
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ya, I figured that. Which album? Which band? :D

• gidrah
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I read where this was a good album so I had a buddy download it for me and burn a copy. It was okay, but not my style.
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Bingo, Bango, sugar in the gas tank...

My 45 speed works, just a little rubbing from the belt leaver, nothing a bit of tweeking can't fix.

The album takes a little getting used to. I'm a huge Radiohead fan so it didn't take long for me.

Lassie Come Home? Alphaville? Am I right?