Im back bitchezzzzzzzzz!!!

eprater1
eprater1 Posts: 175
edited November 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello to all and thanks for having me back. its been a while since i have posted due to buying a house, getting a new job, getting married,and traveling about 3-4 days a week, all that being said as usual i am looking for some experinced advise and opinions on installing a new system in my 06 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat truck w/the goal of pure SQ for a reasonable price.

Lets start with the HU:
Previously i had the pioneer deh-800 Prs head unit that i love and hate to get rid of but i cant stand the look of a single din in a double din slot. the prs had time alignment, 13 band eq, phase adjustment, and a great built in crossover all that allowed the adjustment of each speaker individually(when wired active). I now need a double din that is SQ orientened but there just doesnt seem to be one out there that i have found so far. they all seem to be about a fancy screen or navi, or bt....these are all nice but not the emphasis of what i want. right now i plan on going with the kenwood 9960 even though im not a huge kw fan it does have the best audio adjustments i have been able to find. any opinions on a hu? i can get one for about 1000.00 via ebay.

Front Stage:
Previously had MM6501 and they are nice but im going above and beyond for this one. currently eyeballing a set of sr6500's however the HAT Clarus, hertz mille, and focal k2 are being considered. i can get any of these for around 5-600. i have heard the focal and they are great but maybe a little to subdue for my taste. any opinions or suggestions here??

Sub:
Had a memphis mojo 12" DVC (2010 model solid black not the old spl orange one) it was in an ungodly large ported box and had 1100 rms watts on it and dear lord i loved it. would play low and loud all day and sounded pretty good in my opinion however again, im looking to go cleaner and tone down the "hey look at my car shake factor" speakers will have to be shallow mount ( i know not ideal but have no other options on the crew cab, yes the cab is bigger but less space behind the rear seat and only about 6" under the seat and no crazy center consoles, i dont want to see anything.) Currently planning on 2 of the new pioneer shallow mount I-B-Flat 12" subs, they are rated at 500 rms, best ive seen for a shallow.

Rear speakers:
.....hell no, not running any, dont need "fill", whats the point - the band is in front of me im not on stage.

Amp: Front Stage
Currently have the Memphis belle 1300.5 (the 2010 model). it is a nice 5 ch, makes alot of power, and is a do it all amp but not the cleanest in terms of sq. i plan on going with either the new pioneer prs-a900 or the soundstream human realm. both are 4 ch power houses with amazing SQ that i think will run the front stage active with no problems. can be had for around 500.00, any suggestions here??

Amp: Sub
Havent gotten far on this but want at least 1000watts@1ohm. again leaning towards soundstream. they have a nice reference line that would be the selection.

the truck already has 2 alternators and 2 batteries so i dont thinik power will will be an issue. all info is much appericated and thanks in advance!
Post edited by eprater1 on

Comments

• eprater1
    edited November 2010
    i ment soundstream human reign 2 for the amp.

on a side note found out that kole is made by the same guys that make soundstream and that they also make a few other brands. if you look at dimensions, ratings, and go to ampguts.com they look identical. many other companines also have high dollar amps that are identical to lower priced not as well know names. they are the exact same thing, same boards, same caps same everthing.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited November 2010
    eprater1 wrote: »
    Hello to all and thanks for having me back. its been a while since i have posted due to buying a house, getting a new job, getting married,and traveling about 3-4 days a week, all that being said as usual i am looking for some experinced advise and opinions on installing a new system in my 06 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat truck w/the goal of pure SQ for a reasonable price.

Busy, busy bee. :smile:
    Lets start with the HU:
    Previously i had the pioneer deh-800 Prs head unit that i love and hate to get rid of but i cant stand the look of a single din in a double din slot. the prs had time alignment, 13 band eq, phase adjustment, and a great built in crossover all that allowed the adjustment of each speaker individually(when wired active). I now need a double din that is SQ orientened but there just doesnt seem to be one out there that i have found so far. they all seem to be about a fancy screen or navi, or bt....these are all nice but not the emphasis of what i want. right now i plan on going with the kenwood 9960 even though im not a huge kw fan it does have the best audio adjustments i have been able to find. any opinions on a hu? i can get one for about 1000.00 via ebay..

The 800/880 prs series were the best 1-din units ever made, bar none. If you're going for pure sq, none of the 1-din units available today will be anywhere close. 2-din? Forget it. So, I would either stick with the p-800 in a 2din fascia (the hell with the aesthetics, it's about the sound) or I would go for a basic 2 din unit that gave me 3 preouts, 4-5 volts signal and run a processor. You should be able to get a used h-701, bit 1 (ignore the ms-8)etc for reasonable $$.
    Front Stage:
    Previously had MM6501 and they are nice but im going above and beyond for this one. currently eyeballing a set of sr6500's however the HAT Clarus, hertz mille, and focal k2 are being considered. i can get any of these for around 5-600. i have heard the focal and they are great but maybe a little to subdue for my taste. any opinions or suggestions here??

If you can get the SR-6500, its an open and shut case. You really don't need to look further. The RR tweets that come with this set need to be mounted a bit more on axis to you than normal. The SR-5250 are a great set too.

I haven't heard the HAT's but someone whose opinion I trust doesn't think very highly of the HAT's. Thats good enough for me.

The Milles are nice. I almost bought them over the SR's. In hind sight I'm glad I didn't. They have a very smooth and silky sound but just lack that little 'bite' that is needed for lifelike sound. They also cost a ton of $$. Atleast out here.

I don't like the Focals period. The tweets are too bright and there's too much midbass which kills the bite in the mid range.

Nutshell, get the SR's. :smile:

Sub:
    Had a memphis mojo 12" DVC (2010 model solid black not the old spl orange one) it was in an ungodly large ported box and had 1100 rms watts on it and dear lord i loved it. would play low and loud all day and sounded pretty good in my opinion however again, im looking to go cleaner and tone down the "hey look at my car shake factor" speakers will have to be shallow mount ( i know not ideal but have no other options on the crew cab, yes the cab is bigger but less space behind the rear seat and only about 6" under the seat and no crazy center consoles, i dont want to see anything.) Currently planning on 2 of the new pioneer shallow mount I-B-Flat 12" subs, they are rated at 500 rms, best ive seen for a shallow.

The MM sub is shallow mount too. I wouldn't run the sub IB if you're after sq. IMO the size of the enclosure and the way you blend the sub with your mids is more important than the brand of your sub.

Amp: Front Stage
    Currently have the Memphis belle 1300.5 (the 2010 model). it is a nice 5 ch, makes alot of power, and is a do it all amp but not the cleanest in terms of sq. i plan on going with either the new pioneer prs-a900 or the soundstream human realm. both are 4 ch power houses with amazing SQ that i think will run the front stage active with no problems. can be had for around 500.00, any suggestions here??

As long as the amp has a low noise floor and makes rated watts, you're good to go. Don't get caught up with manufacturers / forum spin about 'sq amps'. A watt is a watt.
  • eprater1
    edited November 2010
    Here are the stats on the amp.

Soundstream Human Reign Series 4-Channel Class A/B Car Amplifier
    RMS Power Rating:
    4 ohms: 140 watts x 4 chan.
    2 ohms: 240 watts x 4 chan.
    Bridged, 4 ohms: 480 watts x 2 chan.
    MOSFET power supply
    LED power and protection indicators
    Hawkins Bass Boost (0-9 dB @ 70 Hz)
    STACT (Stabilized Apex Current Technology) reduces power supply stress by 50%
    4-Channel operation
    IDI (Intelligent Distress Indicator) provides visual indication of amplifier protection status
    RUBI (Rapid-Use Branched Impulse) proprietary power supply technology
    Preamp RCA outputs
    Harmonic bass alignment for a cleaner and sharp bass equalization
    Triple darlington output circuitry
    Drive delay II eliminates turn on/off pops
    4-Way protection circuitry (DC, thermal, short, and impedance)
    Selectable balanced inputs for enhanced level of noise reduction
    Heavy duty aluminum alloy heatsink for extreme heat dissipation
    Chrome-plated RCA level inputs
    Chrome-plated screw terminals
    Variable high-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
    Variable low-pass filter (40-160 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
    Subsonic Filter (13-30 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
    Frequency response: 10-40,000 Hz
    THD (Total Harmonic Distortion): 0.005%
    Signal-to-noise ratio: 105dB
    Dimensions: 22-1/8"L x 11-1/8"W x 2-3/4H