Any good? - outboard DAC

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited July 2003 in Electronics
polksters,
any experience with this DAC? comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2543058422&category=23790&rd=1

thanks.
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    someone in here a few months ago had posted something about this DAC. it's an older DAC... which isn't bad at all. I'm new to DAC's myself.. so Im sorry i'm not much help. I'd do some more homework on DAC's before you get one.. it's up to you of course.

external DAC's has wonderful... that's about all I can add. Mine is a California AUdio Labs Alpha tube DAC.

good luck
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    DB,
    thanks, that is part of the challenge (i.e. doing too much research/homework without the benefit of an audition)..Cal Audio is also on my list, along with (at least) 5 other brands that were very highly reviewed/recommended. On top of that, not being able to audition them with my trusty Sony CDP make these exercise impossible to win..oh, well,
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    polkatese,

seems like not many audio stores carry external DAC's. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking to go audition them.

Where are you looking to put the DAC? From a CD player? A DAC will certainly reveal things on your CD's you had previously been missing. I had no idea how much of the subtle sounds from my CD's I had been missing. Someone said that even bad CD's will sound good.. i have to take exception to that... i find that a poorly mastered CD will not improve much if at all using a DAC.

What price range are you looking at? As always.. I am usually on a pretty limited budget. Others I looked and and did research online were Audio Alchemy, Parasound, CAL, DAC IT Tube DAC, and a few others.. but most of the ones I mentioned.. were closer to my price range than the rest.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited July 2003
    Options
    This DAC is Parasound's BOTL. It uses the J grade burr-browns that are the lower grade versions. I have had the 1600 version and was I unimpressed with it's performance. It's not really much of an upgrade from cheaper CD player. The Ultra 2000 DAC is still my favorite with killer performance.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    DB,
    my budget is definitely less than $500. Part of my struggle is to actually feel that I bought a DAC that will *improve the level of details* of my current player. Lacking any other measures, I use MSRP as the starting point. I bought a Sony XA3ES, paid $700 in '96. The TOTL of the series was the XA7ES at the time, retail at $3k. It was later replaced by XA20ES, exactly the same unit, except the 20 came with a jog dial. Anyways, my reasoning is, the DAC has to be made later than '96 (hoping for better design) and retail more than my player original purchase price (although I am looking for a used one). Overall, I am happy with my Sony's build, part of the reasons why I want to breathe a second life to it, as long as it makes sense, cost wise (or, sell this and buy a better player altogether).

jrausch,
    thanks for the info. Good think I let it pass then. Other than the fact that it is NIB (which is nice at the price point), I really have no data point to evaluate its quality. Do you have the ultimate 2000?
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2003
    Options
    http://www.msbtech.com/msb_home.htm

Start with the base usit then upgrade till your heart is content.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Henry, thanks, but it is too rich for my blood....looks great though!:)