New Car: 1998 Camaro

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited November 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
As the title says I no longer have my Grand Prix. I now have a 98 5-speed Camaro 3.8 V6. This time with the stereo I have a chance to start over and do it right the first time. I think it has 6.75" in the doors and either 6x9 or 6.75" in back seat side panels. It dont have the speakers in the far rear side panels, they're just not even cut-out for them. Now I looked up Crutchfield and the Q-Logic sub box for 12"s is only spec'ing .85 cubic feet per sub. I've been looking around and was gonna put the SR's in but they demand 1.2 cubic feet. Even the DB's and MM's demand 0.88 cubic feet. Alpine Type-X demands 0.65 so they could work with no problem. But trick is, I want all my speaks to match i.e. Polk SR comp. with SR subs. I've thought about building a box for my hatch to specs for a Boston SPG555 or even 2 and sticking with Boston. I know everybody don't like the harsh tweet but I do. I'm not a big fan of the laid back Polk tweet. Right now I'm looking for recommendations for this stereo I'm about to throw money into. Everything is stock and I'd like to have recommendations on deck all the way down to wiring and even creative ideas on running wire, crossover placement, etc,etc
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited November 2010
    Hey Josh, congrats on the new ride. Once you decide on the equipment, make sure you use a good installer :wink:
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2010
    What u think bout the Boston sub idea Arun? I just need some suggestions right now.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2010
    You can build a box for a single 12" back there without a problem.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • arun1963
    edited November 2010
    Speakers and subs don't have to be of the same brand. One 12" in the right box and with decent power should be enough. Typically manufacturers will recommend smaller boxes. The SR's though do great in 1.2 cuft box. For a 12" sub typically a 1.1-1.4 cuft sealed box would be fine.

The SR's tweets aren't laid back, they're open, airy and lifelike. Dyn's are laid back. Go with what you like though.

For the hu, what media will you be running? cd's / ipod, etc? you sould get one that gives you time alignment and some equalization.

Dskip has the same car. So be sure to pick his brains on the install. Listen to him when he says no rears :wink:
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2010
    OK for the head unit I'm still torn between the Pioneer DEH-P800PRS or the Alpine CDA-9887. I've always loved Alpine and with the Imprint it could be very favorable to me. But, on the other hand the Pioneer LOOKS like it could be a better tuner and I think it's got auto EQ which could turn in my favor also. Speakers....I've only ever known Boston and honestly I like that tweet. Everybody says it hurts their ears...maybe I'm one of the many who like that style tweet? I've heard the Polks and they're just not "loud" enough (for lack of a better word) for my taste. I got to hear Focal finally a couple weekends ago and I really really liked them a lot. So I'm guessing I like that bright tweeter than. Right now I can get the Boston Pro SE's for $210 NIB. I'm pretty hell bent on getting the Q-Logic Camaro/Trans Am enclosure with 2 12's I'm just having a pretty rough time finding a suitable sub that sounds good for it. I can get an SPG555 right now just sub brand new for $175. What does everybody think that Boston would sound like with a box built to spec it in my Camaro? For $210 I think that's a damn good deal on the Bostons, I'm sorry, I just dunno if I'll like the Polks.
  • arun1963
    edited November 2010
    OK for the head unit I'm still torn between the Pioneer DEH-P800PRS or the Alpine CDA-9887.

Grab the p-800. It gives you a 16 band eq seperate for L/R. the 9887 with imprint doesn't. This makes a HUGE difference.
    I think it's got auto EQ which could turn in my favor also.

Yuck:tongue:!! Auto anything is bad. Get the unit and there are enough people here to teach you how to tune.
    Speakers....I've only ever known Boston and honestly I like that tweet. Everybody says it hurts their ears...maybe I'm one of the many who like that style tweet? I've heard the Polks and they're just not "loud" enough (for lack of a better word) for my taste. I got to hear Focal finally a couple weekends ago and I really really liked them a lot. So I'm guessing I like that bright tweeter than.

If you like Bostons, get them. It's about what your ears like and most importantly its your $$. No justifications needed. :smile:
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2010
    Today I got a brand new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, flywheel and rear main seal and all new bolts installed today. I dont think I'll be getting any kind of stereo anytime soon :) but hey my car is running good on the road. Cool....OK I'm slowly starting to narrow things down here. Head unit I'll stray from Alpine this once and go with the Pioneer and the Bostons got the killer deal for $210. I kept my PDX-4.400 and PDX-1.1000 so I'm good on amps. As I mentioned earlier I like that Q-Logic box pretty well and I just need to find some hard hitting subs to fit in that air space. Suggestions?
  • arun1963
    edited November 2010
    Today I got a brand new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, flywheel and rear main seal and all new bolts installed today. I dont think I'll be getting any kind of stereo anytime soon :)

:Facepalm: meh!!.......jk. :biggrin:
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2010
    OK....been doing lil research online and pretty hell-bent on gettin a hatch box. Now, the only problem is finding a GOOD sub with the lil bit of air space. Might have came up with a solution though.

cwellsmall.jpg

This box is for 1.0 cubic foot. However, I'm having a tough time finding a sub that I actually wanna buy for the limited amount of space I've got. So far I've come up with Alpine Type-X which only dip down to 24 Hz, not bad would like to get lower, Polk Audio SR I'd like to have but iffy on them needing 1.2 and the box is only 1.0, and also Rockford Fosgate T1 as they require 1.25. I'm starting to get scared I'm gonna be stuck with Alpine Type-X and while I've heard they're good sound quality subs I'm not so sure I wanna end up with them. I absolutely love my DB box so I'm positive I'd love the SR's.

I'm concerned with the lack of 0.2 cubic foot would make that much of a difference. I would like to have a box made around the SPG where I'm having Boston but, the above box blends in so well with my interior I like it really well.

Suggestions on subs now.......

Dunno why I'm so anal about keeping my speaks and sub the same but am for some reason. I know it doesn't make a difference but HEY it's my money right? In a perfect world I'd like to have damn good amps,comps,subs,deck,wiring all the same. LOL Guess I want it to look pretty as well as it's just the best sounding around for miles and miles.
  • arun1963
    edited November 2010
    1.25 cuft is ideal for the SR 12", but you'll do ok with a 1 cuft box, just use some stuffing in the box. Keep the gains low. This hobby hates mindsets. So get the bostons upfront with the sr sub at the back. Get the p-800 and lets get down to tuning.......:wink:
  • Mahna Mahna
    Mahna Mahna Posts: 14
    edited November 2010
    cwellsmall.jpg

Welcome to the Camaro Owners Club (I have an 89 IROC) :biggrin:

JL makes a stelth box for the 4th gens if you want to go with only a single sub.

The Pioneer is a nice unit (I have one). :wink:

Image Dynamics IDQ sub will also work well with the space you have.

As for speakers, go with what your ears like. Just remember to ask yourself "Can I listen to these speakers for a few hours".

Check out www.ls1.com. They have a pretty good stereo section with lots of pics and info.
    If you come to Canada, remember our bears like no foam lattes......thank you :D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2010
    Well DSkip not to offend u, but my dad has had Trans Ams all my life with the same style box and always ran 2 12" Rockford's or 12" Kicker's with tons of clear clean treble up front and 6x9 in the side's and always been awesome. So while I'm not tryin not be a smartass I KNOW 2 12's aren't overkill. In fact...I kinda like it bumpin SPL like :)
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2010
    No his Trans Ams were always 80's models so they never had monsoon back then. What do you think about this conecpt...build a box to exact specification for a Boston SPG555? Since you say only run 1 sub that would be perfect and sit it right in the middle of the box. 400 watts bi-amped goin to my Pro SE's up front and 1000 watts going to my SPG555 in the back....not bad I say. Would putting another set of Pro SE's in my back seat side panels really kill my sound? I like my **** really really really loud.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2010
    OK what about the original idea of going with the Pro SE's up front bi-amped and having 1 SPG? Guess I should take one step at a time and get my deck first. The factory speakers in the doors right now are blowed, I have a set of Polk DB components I never have hooked up, ya think I should throw those in for the time being? The first step though in my system should most definately be the head unit right? So I guess I'll start saving up for it.