is MM worth an upgrade from MOMO?

Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited November 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can someone give me side to side comparison on momo and MM components?
I currently have MMC6500 and thinking of getting MM6501 instead.

Nothing is wrong with MMC, i actually love them over anything i've owned before but i wanna add some rear fill (i'm sure someone will tell me not to lol) and another set of MM6501 in the rear doors sounds like the right thing to do if fronts are also MM6501. Mind u i will NOT use tweeters in the rear door set, only woofers (midrange/midbass)

According to all reviews on MMs i've read they are great but haven't heard them in person yet. Hope this will help you understand what it is i'm expecting from MMs:

One thing i don't like about momo's - tweeters are way too bright even on -3 db. The only way to have them the way i want them is by bi-amping. Then these comps turn from "great but highs are too bright" to "best speakers i've heard" Would be nice if MMs had tweeters and woofers that sound well balanced without having to bi-amp (especially since MMs are not bi-amp'able to begin with)

What i absolutely LOVE about momo's - great midrange/midbass. Those speakers handle lower notes like subs... well, not really but u know what i mean. This is again when bi-amped. When not i simply can't turn the volume up enough to feel that bass/punch without tweets piercing my ears. Would be nice if MMs had that same kick/punch/bass if not better.
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• Vital
    edited November 2010
    tweeter issue was fixed a while ago by bi-amping so that's solved.

What I'm really after is believe it or not rear fill. From day 1 going thru different speakers/amps/subs/setups I never had rear fill cuz thats what everyone said is best. Buuuut there was always SOMETHING missing on some subcounsious level. I couldn't figure out what it was till one day when I pulled out my sub to build a new enclosure for it and installed 6x9s in rear deck to substitute for the sub a little I realized what I was I was missing - rear fill!
    I pretty much grew up at techno clubs and raves where speakers are all around you unlike concerts where speakers are in front of u. To me that "being in the middle of sound" feeling is the same as "in front of the stage" for others
    With that said I still do agree to not have any tweets behind you but when it comes to midbass and lower midrange I will disagree. Again, its just my own personal opinion based on what I'm used to and music I still listen to - hard tekno where there's not many vocals to begin with. I don't really wanna keep going with 6x9s in the rear deck since those open holes really help with sub's bass entering cabin so rear doors is my only option that doesn't involve some custom made stuff.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • docjl
    docjl Posts: 41
    edited November 2010
    add a nice sealed sub to your system to fill out the low end, those tweeters won't sound as bright when you have all the low end frequencies filling out your car. look into the SR series. incredible subs.
  • Vital
    edited November 2010
    I do have SR124-DVC and building a sealed fiberglass enclosure for it as i type this :)

Still u're missing the point.
    I have comps in the front (momos) and sub in the trunk (SR)
    I WANT SOME REAR FILL!!!

so back to original question - how to MM components compare to MOMOs??
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Vital
    edited November 2010
    DSkip wrote: »
    disregard didn't read all the way through, even though I thought I did.

Smaller paragraphs man, it helps others out lol.

I got your original post on my email and while reading it kept thinking "is he high"??? lol

I'll edit my post to add paragraphs :)

EDIT: oookkk.... am I high or you can only edit you LAST post, not any previous ones??
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • docjl
    edited November 2010
    Vital wrote: »
    I do have SR124-DVC and building a sealed fiberglass enclosure for it as i type this :)

Still u're missing the point.
    I have comps in the front (momos) and sub in the trunk (SR)
    I WANT SOME REAR FILL!!!

so back to original question - how to MM components compare to MOMOs??

OK got it now! I have an SR124 DVC in a custom sealed box in my trunk, it made my entire system sound incredible! What kind of car are you putting this all in? will the sub be in the trunk (or is it an SUV or truck where the sub will be in the cabin?
  • Vital
    edited November 2010
    It'll be in the trunk of my 08 Altima which is why i don't want to have any speakers in the rear deck so bass can easily enter the cabin.

I'll post up my set-up when i'm all done with it but here's some temporary pics. Working on it literally every weekend, hope to be all done before it starts to rain everyday and then snow as i do all my work outside.

DSCF5001.jpg

DSCF5029.jpg

DSCF4526.jpg

Still wonder how MMs compare to MOMOs thou................
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Vital
    edited November 2010
    coffecake wrote: »
    Well my friend have the MOMO's 6.5 comp and I had the MM 6.5 comps and the difference is that the MM are more detailed and smoother than the MoMo's but the MOMO's have more midbass than the MM. Now I have the SR5250 and they are a whole new ballpark.

Thank you.

Just wanna make sure we're on the same page here as there could be some confusion when it comes to MM

Are you talking about these (MM6):

!B53c2B!BGk~$(KGrHqJ,!h4EycN-jb-NBMvQzljEgQ~~_12.JPG

or these (MM6501):

mm6501.jpg
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited November 2010
    I'm sure the install will work out good.

You want to know if the MM's will sound better than the momos? If you're going to listen to them with rear 6x9 and possibly a sub, then the answer is probably not. Well, the tweet is a bit less brighter.

However, if you're talking about a normal 2.1 setup then the answer is, yes a big difference. the MM's are much stronger in the mid-bass and mid range than the momo's. The tweets are a touch less bright too. It's actually quite close to the old monitor MM6 series, which in my opinion are the best mid range set made by Polk.

I guess its ok if your reference point is the club 'surround' sound'. Just that all music is recorded for 2ch. I'm with Dskip on no rears. But its your ears,what they need and your $$.

If you're happy with the mmc6500 then stay put. Is the MM a better set? Yes.
  • docjl
    edited November 2010
    That custom sub box should be sweet! post some pics when you're done. I don't think you have to worry about removing any rear deck speakers so bass can pass, the SR124 creates such powerful bass, that you will easily hear AND feel the bass it produces, even if you turn it down to lower levels, depending on your taste - I have a volume control just for my sub, as my wife likes it turned down a bit when she and my kids are in the car, and I turn it up for myself.

Mine is in an 07 Mercedes , it came with a Harmon Kardon sound system which is actually pretty lame, I've had several cars with factory Bose systems which sounded much better. I thought about pulling the factory sub from the rear deck of my car to create a pass through to my trunk, my installer told me it wasn't needed, and he was right, my factory sub actually works more like a "mid-woofer" of sorts as it never went very low, and it blends in with the new sub quite well.
  • Vital
    edited November 2010
    arun1963 wrote: »
    You want to know if the MM's will sound better than the momos? If you're going to listen to them with rear 6x9 and possibly a sub, then the answer is probably not. Well, the tweet is a bit less brighter.

No 6x9s, only same MM6501 (woofer ONLY, no tweets) in rear doors.
    However, if you're talking about a normal 2.1 setup then the answer is, yes a big difference. the MM's are much stronger in the mid-bass and mid range than the momo's. The tweets are a touch less bright too. It's actually quite close to the old monitor MM6 series, which in my opinion are the best mid range set made by Polk.

I take it as MM's ARE WAY BETTER THEN MOMO's :)
    I guess its ok if your reference point is the club 'surround' sound'. Just that all music is recorded for 2ch. I'm with Dskip on no rears. But its your ears,what they need and your $$..

Completly understand what u and Dskip are saying but having tried both i'm pretty sure i do want rear fill playing lower midrange/midbass
    If you're happy with the mmc6500 then stay put. Is the MM a better set? Yes.
    I'm more then happy with BI-AMPED momo's but why not try something that could potentially be even better?? lol.
    If they sounded as great without having to use 4 channels on the amp i'd get another set of MMC6500 and use that woofer in rear doors.

Thank you for your feedback man!
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited November 2010
    No 6x9s, only same MM6501 (woofer ONLY, no tweets) in rear doors.

Same difference. You're still going to have phase issues, in fact the mids play most of the phase sensitive frequencies anyways. You will also have cancellations, but yes you will have the 'surround' sound. :smile:

I take it as MM's ARE WAY BETTER THEN MOMO's :)

I wouldn't say WAY better, but yeah better.

I'm more then happy with BI-AMPED momo's but why not try something that could potentially be even better?? lol.
    If they sounded as great without having to use 4 channels on the amp i'd get another set of MMC6500 and use that woofer in rear doors.

Thank you for your feedback man!

The feedback didn't do much :smile:. You're welcome though.
  • Vital
    edited November 2010
    The feedback didn't do much :smile:.

I kinda had a feeling to not mention anything about rear fill when i was typing my original post lol, i just knew there's gonna be more "don't do it" then what i'm actually asking for lol.

But yeah, i had it coming. :biggrin:
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    Ah yes, the mighty MM6. I so loved my set of those. Stock theyre a bit bright but bi-amp those babies and you can get some sweet sound out of them. I got one of my mids autographed by Matt Polk himself so Ill hold on to that trophy for many years to come.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D