did i pick the right sub?

Options
rainman
rainman Posts: 24
ok here it is I just bought my first polks, what took so long, I dont know, I guess I was waiting for my cerwin's to run out of gas.
RTi150's FRONT'S
CSi40 CENTER
FXi30's REARS
PSW404 SUB
All this ran by a HK AVR520 and a HK3270 as an extra, and the new 51hx83 toshiba to finish. Anyways my question is did I pick the right size of sub to compliment the rest of my system. I use to have a CERWIN downfiring 12" and I have to say that the PSW404 puts out more, but I haven't heard anything bigger.
By the way my theater room is 15x13 and completely insulated.
NEED REASSURANCE OR SOMETHING....ANYONE?

:rolleyes: RAINMAN
Post edited by rainman on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Looks like you got a great system! Enjoy!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Rainman - Welcome to the forum. I think you made some fine choices in equipment. Especially the CSi40 center channel.

One may say you can never have too much bass, I agree, but that's subjective. Unless you have experienced a setup that contained a Sunfire, SVS, Velodyne, M&K, etc...you are allready a little short on the bass demo department.

Does it sound good too you?

If yes, then don't sweat it, there are a hundred more tweaks you can get into for now, and worry about reference level bass later.

If no, then offer some numbers and settings and we can help you. Perhaps you have a setting wrong and we can offer suggestions as to how to make it better.

If "I Don't Know" then keep your receipts and try to get out and demo some other subs. Don't feel as though you have to maintain a Polk sub, even if your main setup is Polk. Bass is in a class of its own, makes very little difference what the rest of the system is based on. Many people in this forum have gone this route, and are still Polk fanatics.

Thank you for graduating from Cerwin Vega at the very least, and let us know what we can do to help.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited July 2003
    Options
    RTi150, and a 404 - seems to be enough for me ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • 2fast
    2fast Posts: 24
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Its a great idea to have it.Stick with it.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Rainman, those RTi150's will put out a lot more bass if you drive them with an external amplifier, your HK AVR520 is nice, but nothing compared to a decent 2 channel amplifier. If you really want more bass, check into that as your next upgrade
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and you have put together a damn good settup. I noticed you have an h/k 520, like myself, and was wondering if you have an spl meter and a calibration disk or have you used the internal tones and remote? If you have done neither I would suggest at least starting off with an spl meter and use your internal tones for a quick balance. I never felt that the sensor in the remote was real accurate but it gets you close on the quick. When your happy there you can go ahead and take the next step toward the cal disk which you can really start testing you subs. Then you can really start understanding the needs of your room and listening tastes as far as bass is concerned.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***