Just bought....

PerfectCreature
PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
So I just picked up an Alpine Type R 10 inch subwoofer from Crutchfield one of those scratch and dent deals. Got it for $80. Really exited. However, I was told that my JBL amp, gives 225 at 4 ohms (Which I feel the amp is underrated) can not successfully power my sub.
So, question is. What is the most cost effective quality amp that I can use to pump this sub with the most juice it can handle.
It says 200-500 watts RMS (The sub is dual 2 ohms, so that can either be 1ohm or 4 ohm)
Anyway, what recommendations do you have for me?
I would like this as budget friendly as I can.
Receiver
Harman Kardon HK 3490
Speakers
Polk Audio Monitor 50s
Subwoofer
Klipsch KSW-100
Cables
AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
PS4
Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
Post edited by PerfectCreature on

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2010
    So I just picked up an Alpine Type R 10 inch subwoofer from Crutchfield one of those scratch and dent deals. Got it for $80. Really exited. However, I was told that my JBL amp, gives 225 at 4 ohms (Which I feel the amp is underrated) can not successfully power my sub.
    So, question is. What is the most cost effective quality amp that I can use to pump this sub with the most juice it can handle.
    It says 200-500 watts RMS (The sub is dual 2 ohms, so that can either be 1ohm or 4 ohm)
    Anyway, what recommendations do you have for me?
    I would like this as budget friendly as I can.

My cousin just got 2 Alpine Type R's about a month ago. However, they're dual 4 ohm so I guess I can't be of much help :redface:

I hooked it up to my JL Audio Amp (at 8ohms because it's not stable at 2ohms bridged) and it sounded pretty nice at moderate volumes. You can get away using your JBL GTO amp if you put that Alpine in a ported box, however if you go sealed I'd suggest giving it what it can handle or even slightly more.

Oh btw, my amp isn't much more powerful than yours..only 360watts rms@4ohms and it ran the Alpine nicely.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited October 2010
    Eh, problem is that my JBL can only give "225wrms" at 4 ohms however, I think that is complete crap. Since I know that amp is under-rated.
    It can thump my buds subs louder and harder than his JL500.1 with 140 less watts.
    Anyway, just was wondering about some ideas.
    I was thinking like the Polk PA 600.1, 1 ohms stable with 600 watts rms. That could give some mean power to that sub. Of course, I'd have to sell my JBL amp, and come up with like $200 that I simply don't have.
    If only....(I think a lottery ticket that could win is in order :eek:)
    Ha, I think it should be fine, I just will have to watch my settings, so I do not smoke the voice coil(s). Hopefully I can come up with some cash, although prioritys tell me winter tires are more important :biggrin:
    Anyway, what do you think? I could always watch ebay and maybe one will show up. So far no amps, maybe I will get lucky if I am patient enough.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2