The "3 foot from the side wall" rule for SDAs.

Options
2»

Comments

• audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited October 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Six to eight inches off the back wall is pretty much the norm for SDA's.

Placing yours in the nooks is basically corner loading.

Yeah, after hearing them just backed up to the nooks, I think placing them inside would be a bad idea. Sometimes you just have to throw ideas out there though...
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Or Just sell them

Not a chance! Even if I couldn't play them, I'd keep them just for looking at! :biggrin:
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I sense some LSI-25's in your future....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Alan,

I would not do that. If I was you I would go with room treatments, and for gods sake SPIKE them, get them off the floor..

IMO rooms that are not that ideal for SDA's room treatments are the only thing to help balance the sound..

Just my .02

What do you mean by Room Treatments?

I have a similar issue. I have one side wall and speaker is too close to that. I am definitely hearing that speaker more and not getting the SDA effect as a result. Do you mean room equalization? I have a B&K ref 50 that has room equalization but I can't seem to make heads or tails of what it does.

I too am contemplating buying a new house as a result. FYI- SDA 1C's
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited March 2011
    Options
    something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/acoustic-treatment/buying-guide.php but there are many nice panels out there, some more expensive then others..
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Don't think the wife would like this in our living room. How about room equalization?
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • intangible
    intangible Posts: 262
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Room equalization tries to solve a different issue (room modes increasing/decreasing the response of certain frequencies). You could try simply decreasing the level of the loud speaker, either through a fade knob or at your source, but I have my doubts as to the effectiveness of that route.
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited March 2011
    Options
    something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/acoustic-treatment/buying-guide.php but there are many nice panels out there, some more expensive then others..

Glue on foam costs a bit less, but is not normally very effective. Check out realtraps.com or gikacoustics.com.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • slammin86
    slammin86 Posts: 238
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I wish I could help, but all I have to add is those things are monsters. They look incredible.

Does anyone have a link where I can read more about them? I'm very curious about how much they weight.
    Receiver: ONKYO 709
    Amplifier: Acurus A200x3
    Front: EmpTek E55Ti
    Center: EmpTek E56Ci
    Surround: EmpTek E5Bi
    Sub: Elemental Designs A5-350
    TV: LG 55"
    Blu-Ray: PS3
  • omniamore
    omniamore Posts: 12
    edited March 2011
    Options
    So.....along these lines, how exactly would a person "treat" the side reflections when the speakers are too close to the sides? Would you place the treatment against the side wall and very near to the speakers(say 1-3 feet forward)? Or further forward in the room?

Is there any reason to treat/not treat the reflections behind speakers? I have yet to see anyone treating behind their screen or mains/center. Theories? Not enough of a problem to notice much difference? Would it kill the sense of depth?
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited March 2011
    Options
    TO Kawizx9r, Dude you have a Really nice rig. I am truely impressed. If you could tell me what are those speakers and around what do they go for.IF someone like me w/ my Adcom gfa55 be enough to push those mountains. Very nice .....LW
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc