Boat Sub Recommendations

Options
jamiewilson3
jamiewilson3 Posts: 1
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a Ski Nautique ski boat. I have recently replaced the worn out Clarion 6.5's with 4 db651 speakers. I will be adding an amp over the winter, and I just got a PA1100.5. I am now looking to figure out what sub or subs I will put in the boat. Space is limited to the closed bow of the ski boat.

Needs: All that I want is good full-range for rock and pop. Dont listen to rap and I want tighter, accurate bass. It is a loud boat at speed, with a 351 engine and straight pipe exhaust. I only really want to play music at idle speeds for cruising the lake. The current bass is obviously totally inadequate from the db651 speakers, given the engine and lack of a car enclosed listening space.

Constraints: The bow space is limited. It would be nice to use a dual sub sealed truck box, where I could just mount the amp to the back of the box to save some space. Otherwise, I will need to fabricate a mounting board for the amp and find a place for the box or boxes.

Thoughts:
1) Do a single 10" in a sealed truck box or smaller 12x12x12 or so sealed box.
2) Do 2 8" or 10" in a sealed box running SVC to use the 2A load of the sub channel.

Concerns:
1) Underpowering subs.
2) Finding space for everything and still keeping as much storage as possible.
3) Getting good full-range response given the open nature of boats, without going to component speakers. i.e. finding a sub setup that will blend with the db651 speakers in the boat.
4) Cost. I want to keep it to a few hundred bucks for the subs and boxes, so I dont want to get into custom boxes, and I will be looking for clearance, web specials for the subs. Probably the db series subs as well, just to keep it 100% polk and stay at my cost target.

Please respond with any ideas and recommendations. Thanks!