Need advice on buying a Digital still camera

Options
begbie
begbie Posts: 630
edited July 2003 in Electronics
Looking to buy my first dsc, but I'm on a tight budget. Up to $300 I'm looking to spend.

What should I look for in a digital camera? Lens, batteries, storage media, optics, etc. ?

Are 3 megapixels enough ? I read that 3 megapixels is sufficient for the avg. person.

So far I just see myself taking pics for e-mailing, doing the odd photo for framing, and contributing to the system showcase !

One other important question in that I'm interested in this Sony camera which has only an electronic zoom (3x) and no optical zoom. What kind of photos will I get with an electronic zoom? This could get annoying if this zoom degades the picture in any significant way -- and I end up not using any zoom at all! Is an optical zoom a must ?!

Thanks for your input ! :)
Polk Rt800i -Fronts
Polk cs400i -Center
Polk fx500i -side surrounds
Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
Velodyne cht12
Polk psw111
Post edited by begbie on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    begbie,

$300 will get you a nice digital camera. I have the Nikon Coolpix 2500 I bought last year for $299. It's a nice camera.

Yes 3 megapixels will be plenty for what you describe. In fact you can get quality 8 X 11 prints with that resolution. My camera is 2.1 megapixels and it can do 5 X 7 nicely.

Definitely get a 3X or 2X optical zoom!! The digital zoom is just like zooming in on a picture on the computer. You see all the dots when you zoom in not good. Otherwise you have to walk backwards forward to take a picture closely. Optical zoom uses the lenses and is much better (especially if you are a sporting event seated and want to zoom in).

I would look into Nikon, Canon, Kodak, Sony for starters. Another thing is how compact do you want the camera? Canon makes some killer small cameras as well as nice handheld. My Nikon is small enough for me to put in my pocket.

Check out Circuit City and Best Buy and see what they have on the internet sites. The Kodaks are nice because you can get a docking station and transfer files to your computer and recharge your battery without opening the camera. It all comes down to features and convenience and price (like receivers).

Happy shopping.
    Paul
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    And one more thing I almost forgot... look to see what kind of memory storage capacity comes with the camera. Some manufacturers give more memory than others stock.

I would start with the size of the camera that you would like and then narrow it down from there. Don't count out the 2.1 megapixel cameras either. They take killer pictures too and may suit you just fine.

Paul
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Begbie,
    I echo Paul's recommendation on the optical zoom requirement. Also, check out this review:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,111119,00.asp

I went with Canon s50 for the CF type II option, and went with 1gb IBM microdrive, size (so that my 8 yr old can use it also), quality of pictures, and the highest resolution within budget. Have fun shopping!

ps: digital etailer is one good online store for digicams.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Begbie,

Check out this picture I took using my 2.1 megapixel Nikon at the normal resolution (not fine) and smallest mode (so the Polk website could accept it).

Picture here:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10766

Man, prices have come way.. way... down in one year for digital cameras since the last time I shopped. You can get a really nice camera for under $300.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I had a nice Cannon Digital Elph. The S230 took great pics. It is a 3.2MP camera and costs $380 at amazon. I upgraded to a 5MP Sony DSC-V1 and would recomend that one if you wanted to increase your budget to a little over $600.:)
  • begbie
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hey, thanks so far for the responses !

Optical zoom I gather is a must - thanks on that !

Looks like that Sony camera with only a digital zoom is ruled out - it did have the compact size and the 3+ megapixel going for it.

Size of camera is quite important. That Sony camera measured approx. 4"w x 2"h x 2"d , is this considered compact enough ?

However, I'm willing to sacrifice camera size because I'm not quite sure if having a super compact camera will be that beneficial.....or am I wrong ? Would it be true that if I had a super compact camera, I'd probably use it more often ? A camera that fits in your shirt pocket already sounds too much for my budget and .... needs ?

How small do you really need a digital camera? I'm not looking at bulky camera but I'll go as big as a 35mm camera.

Thanks again ....
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have an olympus 2.1 mega pixel and i love it, has optical and digital zoom, takes smart card memory, battery life is great.. get rechargables, and i also got a smart card reader so when you download pics to the Pc you save batteries by not useing the camera to upload. I had a fuji before and it was nice as well.. I heard the kodaks werent that great, make sure it takes either a smart card or compact flash, and not internal memory.. Also sony uses memory sticks and so you can't use them for anything but sony gear, I have a epson printer that actually has a slot to input the smart media card and use with or without a pc to make real glossy pictures in any size you like, So check out Olympus and 2 mega pixel is plenty for what you want. I have made 8x10's with max resolution that look great! on glossy paper.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • begbie
    edited July 2003
    Options
    So a 2 megapixel is enough for 4x6 and 5x7 photo would you say ? From family vacations to weddings to emailing to posting in the system showcase ?! Pjdami, that pic of yours looks great !

If that's the case then a 3 megapixel can be overkill for my needs ? Or are there other benefits to 3 megapix than having your photos enlarged 8x11 ?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    begbie,

Here's some more info. I would check out these cameras which are highly rated by Circuit City consumers:

http://www.circuitcity.com/display_review.jsp?c=1&b=g&OID=71824&catoid=-8025

and here's a Canon that's smaller:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8025&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_14&oid=63356

The Canon's a little higher than you want to spend though. You may be able to find a 2.1 older model Canon same size as this one below your budget cost. I know some people that have these Canons and love them. Kind of wish I would have bought one too at the time.

It seems as the standard is now 3.1 megapixels for the "average" consumer whereas a year ago it was 2.1 megapixels. The Circuit City's and Best Buys are carrying more megapixel cameras with the optical zoom now it seems.

Some more things to think about. Some cameras like my Nikon has the LCD screen to shoot a picture but no optical view finder (like a traditional camera you hold your eye up to the camera and take a picture). this is useful in bright sunlight where the LCD may be hard to see and the only complaint I have about my camera really.

more questions to ask yourself as you are shopping:

can the camera take quicktime movies and do the movies have sound if that is important to you.

Are the batteries rechargeable?? Or does it use AAA or AA batteries and how quickly will you go through the batteries.

How does the camera feel in your hand. Does it feel cheap?

Menus..are the menus easy to get around in.. or are they confusing.

Does the camera have a USB port for easy connection to transfer pics to your computer?

By the way, Olympus, Fuji, those are good cameras too. The Kodaks have the loading dock convenience going for them but may lack in other areas as Faster has mentioned.

Read the consumer reviews on Circuit City and go have a look and ask yourself these type of questions. Its like buying speakers man.. its a personal decision..

I'm betting that you will like that Panasonic or Canon though.

Best Buy's website is down so I couldn't check them out.
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    yeah, mine has the Lcd and viewfinder.. The next step up from mine is really nice also, mine is a D-510 zoom camedia

this picture was shrunk down to like 47k, leaps and bounds below the original resolution, and still looks good
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If you really want to get a decent digitcam, save another $300, then you are ready to get one. Don't buy any digitcam that has less than 5 megapix.

Here are some of the good one to consider:

Olympus C5050Z, fastest zoom lens in its class, F/1.8, has every features of a SLR, built like a tank, also incl a wireless remote.

Canon G5, great camera, 5 megapix, handle like a SLR, TTL flash, new, replaced the legendary G2 and G3.

Nikon 5400, new, replace the excellent 5000, has the widest wide angle zoom, down to 28mm, lens is upgraded to ED glass.

Sony's new DSC-V1 CyberShot, . The DSC-V1 is designed to deliver a huge array of impressive features. Its Super HAD CCD image sensor delivers massive 5.0 megapixel resolution (effective). The 4X optical/4X precision digital zoom Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar lens gives you exceptional control.

All the above digicams price range are in the $600 range, all use compact flash card except the Sony uses memory stick ( compact flash is very popular and reliable, I has one that went throught the dishwasher five times, and it still works, never lost a file or a pix), cheaper too.

There are some other good one, but higher price range such as the Nikon 5700, Minolta 7Hi...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Faster - Is that the Pimp Daddy ride? If that's lower resolution due to making it smaller, that looks damn good.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Faster - Is that the Pimp Daddy ride? If that's lower resolution due to making it smaller, that looks damn good.

Yeah thats my new ride, 2003 Xterra...

far as the above statment, peterng,

He said he wanted a cam for e-mails and simple stuff, a $600.00 + camera i don't think is what he is looking for?? apparently he is a digital camera newbie of sorts and might need to start out small before he jumps into a SLR type camera..

To say don't buy anything under 5 mega pixel is crazy, alot of great cams for 250 -350 range in the 2-3.1 mega pixel.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by begbie
    Looking to buy my first dsc, but I'm on a tight budget. Up to $300 I'm looking to spend.

MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by begbie
    So far I just see myself taking pics for e-mailing, doing the odd photo for framing, and contributing to the system showcase !

MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • begbie
    edited July 2003
    Options
    So far still looking out for one guys. With 3 megs becoming abundant and a standard- I really think it's only a matter of a few months before a few new models will come out in a ultra-compact size and a reasonably price.

Been burned before with my camcorder and over spent. This was 6 yrs. ago . A thousand bucks ($Canadian) for a Sharp viewcam with like 20x digital zoom or something. Battery life was a pain and it was featureless not to mention too bulky. Oh yeah.... I hardly use it. ......Now look at what a grand can get you today ? Oh well crash and burn.

So I'm taking from I learned from that purchase into this digital camera purchase. I wouldn't mind a new camcorder with a digital still cam built in but there's just that much out there but maybe a matter of time. Therefore I don't wanna go crazy on a dsc purchase.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I just bought a Jvc Mini Dv camcorder/with digital camera capabilities with a memory card about 6 months ago, dvl520U i think it is, Very nice camera and great picture and sound.. mostly use it for the little ones i have, but special events as well. transfers nice with the firewire capability and usb connectivity...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    Yeah thats my new ride, 2003 Xterra...

far as the above statment, peterng,

He said he wanted a cam for e-mails and simple stuff, a $600.00 + camera i don't think is what he is looking for?? apparently he is a digital camera newbie of sorts and might need to start out small before he jumps into a SLR type camera..

To say don't buy anything under 5 mega pixel is crazy, alot of great cams for 250 -350 range in the 2-3.1 mega pixel.

I know what he said, in my opinion, you shouldn't buy any digital under 3 megapix, as the way the digital age is going right now, the next generation of point ansd shoot digital camera will be 6 megapix, not even 5, in fact Fuji already has one out, and this will be the new standard, buying anything less than 5 you will be so far behind the current technology. Of course, on any any range, 3, 4, or 5 megapix, there some good performance cameras that will produce good picture, with the 3 megapix, good camera can produce good size print to 5x7, sometimes even 8 x 10, but detail in shadow and hightlight areas will be limited. It is practical to look for camera with the higher megapix if you can afford the higher price, but those price is dropping right now, so buy smart, just don't make a poor decision and then end up selling the camera to get the better one, you will not get any decent on the price to sell, another word, you will take a big loss on your investment, so crazy is not an issue here, practial and reasonable are. All of the cameras that I listed above, they are point and shoot cameras, but they all have the SLR features, you may not need them right now, but when you get into it, feel comfortable and want to use more features of the camera, they will come in handy as you will learn more about photography when you use it everyday.

The digital camera that built in the digital camcorder is nothing more than a piece of crap, low resolution (to make camcorder sell faster), I had one built in to my 3CCD cam, but I never or bother to use it because it can not produce the quality picture that I expect, so if you really intend and want to get a real digital camera, don't reply on the one that built in to the camcorder, most of them have less than 1.5 megapix, only can produce decent picture for web-users.

Well it's up to you to make that wise decision, by this christmas, you can spend less than half of what you paying for right now twice better cameras in the market. But don't wait, do what you think nessesary (buying smart). Good luck...Cheers
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    agreed, digi camcorders internal dig cam sucks, don't buy one for the still picture option, But for the firewire, and the sound and picture quality
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Buy the $50 "Spy" camera from the internet, with .32 pixels of massive resolution. You can snap pictures of whatever you want then stick it in your pocket, and run away.

When you get home, download it and use Photoshop for 4 hours and Mission Impossible your photo back to life and some degree of photo realism.

Just another suggestion.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • begbie
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Buy the $50 "Spy" camera from the internet, with .32 pixels of massive resolution. You can snap pictures of whatever you want then stick it in your pocket, and run away.

When you get home, download it and use Photoshop for 4 hours and Mission Impossible your photo back to life and some degree of photo realism.

Just another suggestion.

Oooooooh?.....and how bout the "glasses" version to bring out the inner pervert in all of us ?! ;)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • begbie
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys ! I picked up the Sony dscp-72 (3 mega-pix, 3x optical ) and it has a ton of features. Will post pics as soon as i figure out the 100 page manual ! :D
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111