Amp question?

CPHILHOWER
CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
PBD, I know you would know the answer to this. What is the Minimum ohms my RF BD500 will handle? I think I heard it will handle 3, 4 ohm subs paralled to 1.3. I am getting a NASTY brainstorm. Thinking about getting a Tri-Sub box, 3 10" or 12" woofers and running Paralled.
Thanks for the input.
Chris
Post edited by CPHILHOWER on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    i think they can go down to 1.3333333333333333 but mine blew at 2 ohms so you never know
    but call rf to check...theyre closed on weekends though
    pbd might know though
    -Cody
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited July 2003
    Personally I don't think it's a great idea to go much lower than 2 ohms on those amps. Like Cody said, I believe they can go to 1.3 ohms and be alright, but in my experience, or should I say with my luck, your subs will be like 3.8 ohms and it will drop below that and cook that amp. I only say that because it's happened to a friend of mine. He bought the amp(can't remember the exact model), dealer told him it would run his three 10w1's no prob... brought it home, hooked it up and it cooked in about 15 minutes. Sent it back, and they actually tore the amp apart and called him up... "sorry sir, this amp appears to have been run not within it's specs, we can't warranty it... but we'll repair for $280."

I will say that most people have better luck than me and my friends so you'll probably be alright... lol :D
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    dont run that below 2 ohms.

that amp isn't built well enough for it.

electrical design is very good (having ripped cody's apart i can tell u this)... but the cooling is POOR AS HELL.

the bd1000.1 is in a case the size of an mtx 302 --- gimme a break.

i'm not surprised RF has a history of overheating, burning up, etc etc.

its the damn cases -- without those shrounds they're tiny -- they need a cooling fan if not more.

i would not run the 500 lower than 2 ohms... ever. if you want it to live.

its a good amp -- they both are (500 / 1000) -- good slew rates, good damping factors, low THD, good amps... just **** **** cooling.

so dont run it low.

81000d only goes down to 1.33 ohms because those series amps were made for competition in the lanes -- they were made, and i do not lie here, to run while they're on fire... -- but they're dirty as hell.... that's a trade off.

just stick w/ the two sub setup dude... and be happy with your nice clean efficient amp :)

or go with 4 subs and get another 500

or maybe find the same sub you've got in a dual voice coil and get a 300M or something along those lines.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    I had a Sony class "D" mono amp once. 300 @4, 1000 @1. Ran two Bazook 10" RS DVC subs off it. Ran fine, However got very HOT. Tried to run my Blaupunkt OD 15" DVC. 1 ohm mono. Kept tripping the "Overcurrent" protection. That is how I wound up with the RF Punch 800.2. Had an incident back in Feb. Lights in my truck were flashing light strobes.
    Maybe, I should just get a DVC(4 ohm) L7 15" and get a custom box to fit across the seat back. I think its 40". I'll have to measure.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    try hifonics instead of RF
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    ya dude there a lot of cheaper 1000 - 1200 watt 1 ohm stable mono amps out there.

jbl bp1200.1

crossfire

hifonics

yada yada yada.... for like 200 bucks u can snag one of those to run 3 subs off of and end up with like 400 watts more (Assuming your 500 is actually like 750+) -- then u end up with still havin like 350 - 400 on each sub.
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited July 2003
    The new Hifonics Brutus line, I talked about it in my last post. Looks like a good amp. The 1500 watt version on ebay for $265ish.
    "The Big C"
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    Hey you all are not going to belive what I just got in the e-mail again. Another Ebay scam attempt. Another Unsecured wbsite asking for too much personal info. This is what, #5 or 6 this year?
    Last amp I bought of Ebay (The BD500) had to get repaired at my own cost. I wonder if a Bandpass box would be better since I dont have an actual trunk.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    a bandpass is never better...
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    You all want a GOOD laugh?
    Today at work, I am running the Parts counter. Customer calls. Has a 92 Nissan Sentra. What does he ask for? A "SR engine with SuperCharger". Just wants a price. He had no idea that a SR engine was a 2.0 16 valve. I asked if he wanted a Short or Long block. His response "A Short Block, its a 4 cylinder" I tell him it costs $3k. His response "Is that with the SuperCharger?" I tell him thats extra. He's like WHAT!!!! I was about to ask him if he wanted a "Motech exhaust" with that engine? And to go and see "Harry" for the Super Charger. Sounded too much like a Crank call. I just handed the phone over to Van to handle before I hung up on him.
    How do they always find me?
    Chris :confused:
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    I have a New name. How about the "Fast and the Stupid"?
    or even "The Not so Fast and Stupid"?
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    in response to such queries, one much always respond -- "I'll get your a 440 magnum with transmission outa the bone yard for 2,500 bucks... what's a 4 cylinder anyway ?"

i dislike ricers -- i utterly loathe wanna be ricers who have no idea what a "block" is let alone anything else.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    lol...im going to start prank calling pep boys with the same question...
    not really...well maybe...if i get really bored someday...
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    Chris,

I got stories you wouldn't believe! About both customers and employees! Pep Boys was one of the most interesting places I ever had the opportunity to work. I know exactly what you are going through. It can get rough at times but take it with a grain of salt. Learn to laugh at it all and it'll be easier to get by. You have plenty of fellow employees to lean on too because they deal with the same rocket scientists too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sirogenous
    sirogenous Posts: 57
    edited July 2003
    I get real bothered by car people who think they know anything of speed. Got the need for unparalleled accelleration and sheer top end speed. Aside from Duc. their aint nothing like a Japanese crotch rocket.