Doc

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,041
I have a question.

Although the bottum driver of my M&K is unplugged, I have noticed my Dad's subwoofer has way better bottum end on his M&K. I believe it is because his is on wood floors and the M&K bottum driver just fires into the floor. Do you think it would be wise to put a wood plate under it? Would this improve the over quality?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I take it the bottom driver is blown on your sub? I would spend the $80 to replace it regardless - you are losing way too much bass power that way.

A downward firing woofer is not really a problem, even if it fires into carpeting. Bass waves really aren't that easily absorbed. You can certainly place a piece of wood under it - it won't hurt anything, but it probably won't help increase bass power.

A hardwood floor with an open space below (like a basement) can add a great deal of apparent bass power because the floor vibrates and creates its own sound, and also the open space below the subwoofer can also resonate and create sound.

My buddy has a newer construction house and his sub turns his floor into a trampoline - literally. It adds a pretty impressive bass effect, but the downside is it sounds very boomy.

Most people place slate under a sub to isolate it from the wooden floor and reduce boom.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanx Doc. When we build houses, the floor dosnt even move when you jump up and down. It moves a bit, but nothing major. I plan to replace the bottum woofer sometime. But my main goal is a SVS, but right now the M&K is doing fine with a forward driver and a passive radiator. I will probally worry about it alot more once summer is over. Thanks again!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If thats a passive radiator than I can cut a hole in a box and use a toilet paper roll for a tube and call it a "precisely tuned port"
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hey, its better than having the woofer out and letting the air rush out of it. No, if I was using a toilet plunger instead of a blown woofer (which isnt all the way blown) for a passive radiator then your comment may be of some use. But I am not.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited July 2003
    Options
    All I'm saying is that you have to tune a passive radiator..........http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prd/

Read down into the page and he tells you how to determine the proper mass for the PR. Having the PR being the wrong mass is just like a speaker having the wrong size enclosure or port size.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ah well, dosn't matter to me. Atleast it isnt this huge GAPEING HOLE! It works