SVS 20-39 PCi

Options
kberg
kberg Posts: 974
Ok - I've done my research and that, with Doc's and others input, have decided that the SVS 20-39 PCi is the sub for me. I also read a VERY interesting review of this sub on the SVS website, which was based on both room size AND value for the buck. Now the only problem is paying for the thing.

One avenue I am thoroughly investigating - my wife wants a new floor for our kitchen (and I have to agree it does need it), and we are refinancing our home. As part of the refi, we will likely take some cash out as part of the transaction to pay for the floor. Well, guess what then came to my mind? :)

She wasn't happy with the idea, but hey, it's a LOT better than taking the entire amount out of the bank NOW to pay for the sub, or put it on a damn credit card, which I'd REALLY hate to do.

Anyway, it's an idea that hasn't been completely shot down...yet, and the worst case will hopefully be that I can take at least a good hunk out (say at least half the cost of the sub), then save for the rest, buy it using a credit card, then pay it off immediately.

I'll keep ya'll posted on the outcome of this battle. ;)
Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
Display: JVC HD-56G786
DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
Post edited by kberg on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    C'mon Kev - it's only 6 bones. Bury it in the refinance and be done with it!

Ask Ron Stimpson if he can deal you a "Club Polk" discount because you can personally attest Dr. Spec (Ed Mullen) has sold several members on SVS and every single one of them has been thrilled. Maybe he'll ship it for free or something. Can't hurt to ask.... :o

You will find the difference in extension (over your Infinity) to be extraordinary. It will be like you've heard certain movies for the first time. The 20-39 enclosure trolls deeper than sin - it should be flat to about 18 Hz in-room, with maybe -3 dB at 16 Hz.

Resist the urge to overcalibrate at first (everyone seems to do this) and just blend it in perfectly with the surrounds and enjoy clean, accurate, deep bass.

Last night I tuned my PB2-Plus by plugging a port and setting the SS filter to 16 Hz. This particular setting gets me flat to 13 Hz in-room. I watched U-571 in DTS - what an amazing soundtrack. There is so much subsonic content throughout this entire movie I can honestly say it is one of the few that makes the 25 Hz stock tune of the PB2-Plus inadequate.

Ditto for K-19: The Widowmaker. There is a ton of subsonic bass when the sub crashes up through the ice. You can't hear parts of this scene, but you can sure feel it waffling your shirt and shaking the room. Amazing.

You will love what a real sub can do for you system for both movies and music.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    C'mon Kev - it's only 6 bones. Bury it in the refinance and be done with it!
    If I can swing this deal, that will have to be it for a LONG time - at least until 3 years from now when plasma TV's have come down in price.

You can't hear parts of this scene, but you can sure feel it waffling your shirt and shaking the room.

This is really what I'm looking forward to (hopefully soon) - not just hearing the low bass extension, but FEELING it.

You will find the difference in extension (over your Infinity) to be extraordinary. It will be like you've heard certain movies for the first time. The 20-39 enclosure trolls deeper than sin - it should be flat to about 18 Hz in-room, with maybe -3 dB at 16 Hz.

Yeah, my Infinity is 100w with a frequency range of 30-150 Hz, so I'm sure I'm missing quite a LOT of POWERFUL bass!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688