SDA SRS's biamped by a Carver AV-705x?

audio_alanaudio_alan Posts: 738
edited October 2010 in Vintage Speakers
All,

I know of a good deal on a Carver AV-705x. First off, is that a common ground amp? I couldn't find anything one way or the other from a quick internet search.

Assuming it's a common ground amp, would that be a good fit for bi-amping into a set of SDA SRS's (the originals)? It's spec'd at 125 wpc if running all 5 channels, or 180 wpc if running just 2 channels.

I was thinking bi-amping to the SRS's would supply about 250 wpc (125 x 2). Would that be too stressful on the amp?

Should I hold out for something more powerful?

Alan
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 41,798
    edited October 2010
    It's a 5 channel HT amp. Look for a real good 2 channel amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• audio_alanaudio_alan Posts: 738
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, that's kind of the way I'm leaning. I just thought I'd throw the question out there in case someone had experience with that model and bi-amping...

How about an Adcom 555 II? 200 watts into 8 ohms, 325 watts into 4 ohms

Getting warmer, or still more power for the big boys?
  • AudioquestAudioquest Posts: 104
    edited October 2010
    audio_alan wrote: »
    Yeah, that's kind of the way I'm leaning. I just thought I'd throw the question out there in case someone had experience with that model and bi-amping...

The Adcom is a decent amp for the money on the used market. If you want something a little better quality of sound and build and around the same power try a McCormack DNA 1, Bryston 4B nrb or st, Meridian 557, Forte etc. Pair it with a good preamp. A little more investment but will hold your attention much longer and also hold their value for resale down the road.
    HT: Polk SDA SRS 2.3 main fronts, Klipsch RC-25 center channel, Polk RTi-150 rears, M&K V1B sub, Denon AVR-5800, Samsung 52" LCD, Sony BDP-S550

2 Channel: Carver ALS Platinum, Audio Research LS-2B preamp, Counterpoint SA-100 amplifier, Integra CD player, Denon SL7D tt, TC750 phono pre, Nikko tuner
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up picking up an Adcom 555 II for $225. I couldn't pass up that deal!

Due to no pre-outs on my setup with the SDA SRS's, I wasn't able to test it out with them last night. However, I threw it on my system with the 2.3's for a few hours. It sounded great! :D It didn't get very warm either - man those heat sink fins are big!

Now to find a good pre-pro... (it never ends, does it? :rolleyes: )
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 41,798
    edited October 2010

I was speaking to sound quality.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• phocionphocion Posts: 157
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up picking up an Adcom 555 II for $225. I couldn't pass up that deal!

I also grabbed a 555 II over the weekend and have been very satisfied with the warmth and clarity on my 1C's. I beat the hell out of that amp for hours, and never got the fan to turn on, or the distortion light to flicker, so I am pretty happy with the performance thus far.
    The secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and greatest enjoyment is to live dangerously. - Nietzche
    edited October 2010
    phocion wrote: »
    ..... I beat the hell out of that amp for hours, and never got the fan to turn on, or the distortion light to flicker, so I am pretty happy with the performance thus far.

Ditto - I'm happy with its performance as well. Hopefully you got a good deal too, Phocion.

I really want to see how it does with my SDA SRS's though. I just don't feel like ripping apart one system to test the other one, and lugging two 180 pound speakers into the basement doesn't sound like fun either! :eek:
  • AudioquestAudioquest Posts: 104
    edited October 2010

Due to no pre-outs on my setup with the SDA SRS's, I wasn't able to test it out with them last night. However, I threw it on my system with the 2.3's for a few hours. It sounded great! :D It didn't get very warm either - man those heat sink fins are big!

Now to find a good pre-pro... (it never ends, does it? :rolleyes: )

Yes, a decent amp for the money to be sure. I had one some years back used with a set of Polk 600i at the time and I was pretty darn happy. Ran that amp with a used Counterpoint SA1000 tube pre.
    HT: Polk SDA SRS 2.3 main fronts, Klipsch RC-25 center channel, Polk RTi-150 rears, M&K V1B sub, Denon AVR-5800, Samsung 52" LCD, Sony BDP-S550

2 Channel: Carver ALS Platinum, Audio Research LS-2B preamp, Counterpoint SA-100 amplifier, Integra CD player, Denon SL7D tt, TC750 phono pre, Nikko tuner