Polk Db

Gioforce
Gioforce Posts: 2
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Did someone already hear the new DB's? If they sound as good as they looks, it will be great.
Post edited by Gioforce on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    I haven't seen them out yet. Then again, I avoid stores like Circuit City around the 4th of July because all those sales they have just bring people out of the woodwork! So I don't know if they are on sale yet. Crutchfield doesn't have them listed yet either though.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited July 2003
    I'm just wondering if they are worth changing my EX3s out for them. I can't fit the MOMO series in my door, or else I'd go with them.

Hmmm.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Jstas
    edited July 2003
    Well, judging by what Thom and Al have been saying, they are supposed to better than the GNX and the EX series of speakers but not quite as good as the MOMO series. If that actually is the case then I would say that they would be worth a listen. If they are appealing and a step up from the EX's then go for it! New equipment is ALWAYS cool!

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai
    I'm just wondering if they are worth changing my EX3s out for them. I can't fit the MOMO series in my door, or else I'd go with them.

Hmmm.

What kind of car is it?
  • Jstas
    edited July 2003
    I believe he has a Subaru WRX. I could be mistaken though.

• Steve@3dai
    edited July 2003
    Yea WRX wagon :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    lucky...i want a 2004 sti...that aint going to happen...
    -Cody
  • Steve@3dai
    edited July 2003
    Wait for the 2005s, I mean, it's not like they are limited production to only one year ;) They've been making them overseas for years.

Anyway, to even fit the EX3s, we had to move the window track back and create a custom baffle. It was a ****.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    i'm not familar with the issue of the car you're speaking off... but it may be easier to do what i propose... maybe harder -- i dunno but its a suggestion...

cut the door panel, build a raised baffle to just squeak through a precision cut in the door panel, and then either purchase or build a suitably good looking and functional grille over the raised baffle extrusion through the door panel.

probably require a bit of glass work (in which case you could do it up good neough to use the polk supplied grilles and have it look good) or some decent mdf work with carpeting or vinyling (whatever matches door panel material) and then the grille over that).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    ps -- i'd never buy a first year issue of any vehicle --- takes a year of consumer use to work out the bugs.

while this car was admittadly built in other countries for many moons, however i'm betting those are right hand drive models... swapping the controls over isn't always a fool proof thing, and that alone may cause problems (sticky cables, wrongly placed wiring).

then again even years dont help sometimes -- the ignition wires on the 318 mopar truck engines are too close to the block in a certain place causing them to melt (the jackets) so they issued a recall for a loom job... which is absolutely a joke considering the truck and the engine had been out for like 5 years at that point.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Steve@3dai
    edited July 2003
    Besides a clutch problem, I've had ZERO problems with this car. The clutch was actually a service bulletin, not a recall, but hey, I wanted a new clutch ;)

I've been thinking about doing something more extreme, something like Justin has done to his WRX (he put the MOMOs in there) but I autox and race the car a lot and weight is a concern.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited July 2003
    Hey Steve, I got my clutch replaced under warranty after taking the car to two different dealers, both DENYING there was a problem. I wrote Subaru a letter, they paid for a rental car, and I picked my car up three days later from the same dealer that wouldn't fix it.

SO MUCH BETTER. It's like a new car and I have no clutch shutter problems. The best part? It was free :)

~JB
  • Steve@3dai
    edited July 2003
    The mounting depth on the new dB series is almost a cm shorter. Hmmmm....

... need to find some money somewhere ;)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Thom
    edited July 2003
    As soon as we have some production db and Momo stuff here I'm sure we'll soon find out what fits in it. The Momo coax.s might squeeze in there.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited July 2003
    But the Momo components won't, I can almost bet on that.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Thom
    edited July 2003
    Maybe not, but most people will tell you you can't get an MM6 in a Civic but I've done it many times. It all depends on if you want to spend an extra few minutes. The new Momo coaxs are a little smaller than the MM6. Maybe we'll only be able to get an MMc525 in the front doors but that might be more desirable than a db650 to some people.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited July 2003
    I would love to fit a MM6 in my front doors. I'd run those without rear door speakers if I could.

I dunno, Justin has the same car as I, does he think they would fit?
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Thom
    edited July 2003
    Justin doesn't do many installs. I don't think an MM6 would fit behind the stock door panles. The new Momo Carbon Series coax's aren't exactly the same dimensions as the MM6, so there's a slight chance they'll fit.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited July 2003
    Specs wise, the component dbs look like a better speaker than the 6.5" momo coaxes (except for upper frequency response). But you can't base everything on paper specs alone.

Damn Subaru and their shallow mounting depths!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    lol...i think audio was one of the last things in mind for subaru on that car
    -Cody