Which way should it all be wired up?

Options
ROFisher
ROFisher Posts: 3
edited November 2001 in Technical/Setup
I have just purchased a PSW650, CS400, RT800 and RT600 together with an ONKYO TX-DS797 amp and 555 DVD player.
Now they all have S-Video, COAX, Digital and Optical wiring connections. The system was connected using only COAX.
Is this the best way to go?
I have read that S-Video is supposed to give better picture quality, but what about the RGB ports?
I would imagine that RGB Video and Digital Audio would be the better option, is this correct?
What ports are best to use?
Ths sub is connect via the LFE plug.
Anyone with professional suggestions please e-mail me at Ron Fisher
Post edited by ROFisher on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    Options
    well, you are going to be a happy listener once you get all of that set up! you planning on using the 600's for your rears?

Now they all have S-Video, COAX, Digital and Optical wiring connections. The system was connected using only COAX.

i would recommend using a coaxial digital cable to run from your DVD to reciever. i've had problems in the past with optical cable damaging easily, so i try to stay away from it.

i run s-video from my dvd to the TV. this is the prefered method of choice since my TV does not have component inputs. component inputs would be the best connection method available, however, if your set does not have component inputs, s-video is the way to go.

there are many ways to hook up the sub, using the LFE out on your reciever to the LFE in on the sub is the quick and easy way to get sound out of your sub. it may not be the ideal way. but if you are new to HT world, and you are getting overwhelmed with the kooup of everything else, you may want to just hook up your sub te 'easy way for right now, and then tweak it later with other methods of wiring. hope this is helpful
  • ROFisher
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Yep!
    800 - Front
    600 - Rear
    400 - Centre

Thanks for the suggestions. Only problem is that if the s-video goes directly from DVD to Monitor, then there is no on screen display from the amp. I have read through the manual, and it says that if the component outputs are used this too will be the case. As for the optical, I do not believe that the increase in performance is will be that noticeable. I will certainly try the coax digital inputs though.

Thanx anyways
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Doesn't the Onk have s-vid ins/outs????

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ROFisher
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Yes it does.
    To rephrase my original question. I was querying which way would be the better to connect the following equipment.
    ONKYO Amplifier, ONKYO DVD, Mitsubishi VCR, SONY TV.
    Should I use the digital audio inputs and component video inputs, in which case I will loose the on screen display from the amp to the TV (according to the amp manual), or should I use the digital audio inputs together with the s-video inputs, or alternatively coax audio and s-video inputs.
    I do not think that I could really distinguish the difference myself, but I would like it connected in the best manner.

Thanx again

"Om te vra, is te weet"
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Audio: Definately use digital. I haven't found an audible difference between optical/digital.

Video: Composite where necessary (VCR possibiity), S-Video better, Component best. It seems odd to me that you receiver/amp won't run the on-screen using the component. I'd try it regardless of the manual. If it doesn't work, you should try DVD-Monitor w/component on one "input(source)" and an S-Video from receiver on another "input(source)". This way you could still use the on-screen and have a great picture. If neither of these work I'd settle for S-Video as that's the best my monitor gets and it works for me.

Welcome to the Forum and good luck. Make sure to let us know what you end up doing with this really nice set-up.
    Make it Funky! :)