Finally dipped a toe into the world of tubes

Options
Beta
Beta Posts: 267
edited October 2010 in 2 Channel Audio
I was having issues with my gear sounding a bit too bright. I tried everything I could think of to warm things up. Results were unsuccessful, until now.

I placed a tube buffer (Audio Horizons TB 5.1cv with Siemens tubes) between my SS amp and preamp.

What a positive improvement in sound this addition has made. It has really softened my mid range and upper end without (to my ears) sacrificing clarity. Just warmer, more pleasant sound.

Now I understand all the posts I have read concerning the positive attributes of tube gear. I am very happy I have made this initial leap. I just hope I haven't discovered yet another avenue in this hobby that will contribute to the emptying of my wallet.
Post edited by Beta on

Comments

• punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited October 2010
    Options
    you have =)
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well brother your just going to keep spending. Since I bought a tube amp Ive been on a spree
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2010
    Options
    hoo boy, you have no idea what you just started...LOL

your check book is gonna hurt :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2010
    Options
    When I first touched into tubes I was hooked. All that SS gear got sold very quickly. :)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You heard all the talk in the past about Crack being addictive with a single exposure. Crack has got nothing on tube audio!:eek:

Welcome to the essence of audio addiction IMO. No counseling has been known to be effective and drug therapy, well ......

Enjoy!

Rick
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well brother your just going to keep spending. Since I bought a tube amp Ive been on a spree

Not to be a **** but, didn't you bash tubes in the Warm, bright or neutral thread? Something about it not being good for hip hop or trance?

You contradict yourself a lot.:confused:
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No contradictions here? especially alot? gimi some other examples of this

Warm bright and neutral ? bashing? I think your not gona get along with me with that kinda negative posting at all .

You seem like a walking contradiction posting like you do as you dont even know what your talking about ?

For the record in my opinion I find solid state to be better for tecno music than tubes when it comes to being hooked up to a electrostat speakers

I love tubes for rock and what not otherwise I would have sold my gear. This must be pick on polkfarmboy day huh?
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2010
    Options
    new polkies, its kinda like watching a couple of mini-me's going at it.:rolleyes:

Tubes Rule.

RT1
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited October 2010
    Options
    you do not have to spend alot of $$ to enjoy what tubes can do...the end
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited October 2010
    Options
    sda2mike wrote: »
    you do not have to spend alot of $$ to enjoy what tubes can do...the end

Agreed!!! But I still want to go deeper in to them..
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I highly recommend you not waste any money on necessaties, buy tube gear, it lasts, necessaties just get used up, of course they do their necessary silly, rather obvious, but still, once you un-necessitate the necessaties you have more Audio Coin and Audio Coin is always best spent on tubes......you want sand go to the beach......

RT1--Tubes Rule
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Agreed!!! But I still want to go deeper in to them..

yup...there's some gear out there that really gives me a tingle....but when it's dark out, no-one is home, the pool pump is off, ac off (for the moment), the tubes and amp have been running for at least 3 hours, i close my eyes and i am really satisfied with the 'level' my system is at....currently;)
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No contradictions here? especially alot? gimi some other examples of this

Warm bright and neutral ? bashing? I think your not gona get along with me with that kinda negative posting at all .

You seem like a walking contradiction posting like you do as you dont even know what your talking about ?

For the record in my opinion I find solid state to be better for tecno music than tubes when it comes to being hooked up to a electrostat speakers

I love tubes for rock and what not otherwise I would have sold my gear. This must be pick on polkfarmboy day huh?

OK, so you didn't say they were slow with some slew rate quote and dark at low volume? Does that sound like someone that likes Tube stuff?

If I am wrong whatever I apologize but to me it sounds like a contradiction. If you just meant tecno I didn't read that in your posts. No harm, no foul. Moving on... I won't bother you again.

Tubes rock IMHO
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I highly recommend you not waste any money on necessaties, buy tube gear

In which world do you live where tube gear is not a necessity??? :confused::eek:
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Luke, go to the "Dark Side"......feel the POWER of the Dark Side!

Turn off the lights and see the GLOW of the Dark Side....
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2010
    Options
    it is the luxury, it is the lucious, it is the liquid, it is the lavish, it is the libido, it is the lauded, it is the lascivicious, the laryngeal to last until the sand has washed its last launce, it is though and never will be found amongst the mundane languishing of necessacity.

or more simply put.

Tubes Rule.

RT1
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited October 2010
    Options
    "Come with uncle," I said, "and hear all proper. Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited."

Alex
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I highly recommend you not waste any money on necessaties, buy tube gear, it lasts, necessaties just get used up, of course they do their necessary silly, rather obvious, but still, once you un-necessitate the necessaties you have more Audio Coin and Audio Coin is always best spent on tubes......you want sand go to the beach......

RT1--Tubes Rule

:D I like Audio Coin. Sounds like the tubes got you high on post #17 lol.