Non-powered subwoofer hookup?

Options
deadhead
deadhead Posts: 19
I'm doing a HT on a budget.
I'm thinking about the Pioneer VSX-D912 7.1 receiver. The manual doesn't give too much background on subwoofer hookup.

I was wondering what is the best way to connect an ) unpowered single subwoofer. It will be a 15" infinite baffle type mounted in the back of the room into the ceiling.

A> Should I tie the subwwoofer into the rear surround channels and leave them as Large? I suppose then I would install a crossover on the subwoofer.

Should I connect the subwoofer to the front speakers and leave it in the front of the room?

Sould I just forget it and get a powered subwoofer?

Any input is welcome!

Front Speakers: Polk Monitor 10
Front Center channel: Polk C175i
Rear Surronds: Polk R15
Subwoofer: Dayton 15 IB
Extra speaker: Rti28, use undecided (might look for another one though
Room: 17.5 x 24 x 8.5, 4 pairs of speaker wires to back wall
SVS PB10 ISD . Pioneer VSX-1015K
Monitor 10B . CS400i . Monitor 10B
FX500i . . . . . . . . . . . . FX500i
R15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . R15
Post edited by deadhead on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Assuming you have two driver:

...if you do, then hook one of each to the fronts...

Definitely do not hook the driver up to the rear speakers, the LFE signal is not routed to the rear, rather it is routed to the front L/R speaker when the sub is set to no/off...

Assuming you have one driver:

If you only have one driver definitely get a power amp (stereo or mono) or a plate amp to power the driver...

If you need any recommendations, let us know?

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If it's a single voice coil, I 'd connect it to the center speaker and set it and your mains to large as the 10s can handle it and the PR won't make for a clean XO point anyways. Set the rears to small.

Good luck!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sould I just forget it and get a powered subwoofer?

Yes! There is a reason for the .1 in HT setups. IMO you need to have the LFE signal sent to the sub which means that signal will need to be amplified. There are too many reasonably priced alternatives not to go with a powered sub. Plus you may run into impedence issues if you try to run the passive subs with your mains. If you are determined to use the infinite baffle setup then go with beginners luck recomendation and use a plate amp or if you have an old receiver sitting around you could use that to power the sub.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson