Rti70 setup question??

Options
Gate1way2
Gate1way2 Posts: 29
edited July 2003 in Speakers
question guys, i was planning on purchasing a pair of rti100's but after talking to a couple of people and reading forum replies i've been thinking of getting the rti70's instead. If i get the rti70's what kind of set up do you guys recommend because it's a different speaker?
my orginal setup i had planned
rti100's-(now i'm thinking of the rti70's)
csi40
fxi50
csi40 - 6 channel
SVS sub
Does anybody else have any experience with the rti70's vs the rti100's? the price difference is $100 dollars - $699-$599 at my local CC.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Post edited by Gate1way2 on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Since you are going with a decent sub, I would recommend saving your money and picking up the i70's...I was checking comparable model about two years ago and I opted for the smaller 800i's, which are comparable to to i70's, and I think they are great. Plus it's a headache to try and get the powered towers calibarated correctly, but if you have the patience it might be worth your while. I knew I liked my sub and would not need the extra Low Frequency help...

There rest of the setup is a perfect match with either the 100's or the 70's...so you can't go wrong...but once again, I recommend the 70's...and put the extra $100 into something else...I don't know many people that could not find something to do with an extra $100...

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2003
    Options
    70's!!!!!! I have listened to both alot, I like my rti70's, have had 2 pair, black pair and now a cherry set which look sweet! You get 2 drivers instead of 1, you don't need the built in subs with an svs.. They used to be more then 100.00 bucks difference in price.. But with all the savings and sales going on you can't beat it. My original rti70's cost me 799.98 + tax of 7%.. at 599.99 thats a no brainer, They sound great! I won't be changing mine for a long time regardless of what polks new lineup looks like.

The rest of your proposed setup looks fine, I preffered the Rti38's for rears and they are 100.00 cheaper then the comparable fxi50's, The fxi30's arent comparable and they run 379.00

actually CC website doesnt even have the fxi50's, they were closeout and now gone, the csi40 for centers is a great idea as long as you have room in the rear for it, it's larger then you think after you get it home
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If you can tolerate having an RTi 38 standing up I would get a pair of those instead of a pair of CSi40's. They'll be cheaper and do just as good of a job as the CSi40...

I would also go with the RTi38's as surrounds over the FX's.

just my opinion...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention that I used to own the RT1000i's (similar to the RTi100's). I regretted getting those over the RT800i's. The bass wasn't that great from the powered towers and I would have been much better off getting the RT800's.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Chalk my vote up for the 70's all day over the 100's. Get a separate sub and let the 70's sing with the beautiful midrange advantage over the 100's.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I call RTi70, tired of saying why though! Same reason as Doc. I'll leave it at that.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Yet another proud owner of RTi70's speaks. I think those with the CSi40 make an EXCELLENT front soundstage.

Opinion: I think your choice of the FXi50's for surrounds is a good one, although I like my FXi30's a LOT! Perhaps more importantly, I think a CSi40 for a rear center is perhaps "too much speaker" for a rear center - a CSi30 would do the trick for about half the cost. But as always, it's your decision. You'll be happy either way you decide.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Gate1way2
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys,
    you've been A LOT of help
    Thanks,
    Dave
  • Gate1way2
    edited July 2003
    Options
    One more thing, i know this is off the rti70 subject but you guys would recommend the rti38's over the fxi50's? May i ask why ? is the sound better? i'm planning to wall mount the rears..
    Thanks
    Dave
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Let me ask you this, what do you use most for your system? Music or movies? Both? --- What is the percentage of Music over Movies or Movies over Music do you listen to? If you listen to mostly music, go with the i38. You listen to mostly movies i50. The i50 will completely suck in a setting such as 5 channel stereo. It will totally screw up a stereo image. But who knows you may dig it. But the the bi/dipolar surrounds are pretty much a 1 way road. Its clearly up to what you like and use.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Movies = Bipole/Dipole
    Music = Directional

Simple statement but thats pretty much the idea.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    See my post here about the FXi50 and bipole and dipole modes. Dorok is absolutely correct - you have a choice and the 50's will work well for either music or movies.

There is no such thing as 5 channel stereo. Stereo is 2 channel by definition. If you want to listen to a DSP mode or SACD or DVD-A, you can experiment with the switch setting and see which you prefer.

The 50 is a more flexible speaker than the 38. If I was building a stereo only rig, the 38 wins hands down. But for surrounds, the 50 gets the nod as the more versatile speaker.

Doc

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10796
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Doc note I said "Setting" before I went on to saying 5 channel stereo.;)
  • hank1105
    hank1105 Posts: 63
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ditto on the RTi70's - I have been extremely happy.
    My 7.1 System:

Fronts: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surround Sides: Polk FXi50's
    Surround Backs: Polk RTi38's
    Sub: SVS PB1-ISD

Receiver: Sony STR-DA7ES

SAT Receiver: Sony SAT 200B
    HDTV: Panasonic CT-36HX42
  • donahue
    donahue Posts: 125
    edited July 2003
    Options
    How do you like the PB1-ISD from SVS? I just ordered one and am looking forward to getting it.

Ray