Big Three Upgrade

Options
KaosTsoc
KaosTsoc Posts: 372
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok. I plan on doing the big three upgrade here soon. I have some questions for you all in regards to the size of wire I should use for this. Should I go with 4 AWG or 0 AWG?

Also on the ground side of things should I just scrap the stock wiring, and replace them or do I keep the stock wireing, and just run the newer wire along side of it. Same thing goes for the positive as well, however their is a wire that goes from the positive terminal to a fuse block under the hood. Should I make this bigger as well or leave it alone?, and just run the newer wire from the alt to the positive terminal, and call it good??

I have been throwing this around from some time, and would greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.
2006 Prerunner Access Cab
5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
Pioneer P860 Head Unit
Polk Audio MM6501
Alpine PDX F-6
Two SR124(SVC)
Alpine PDX M12
Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
Post edited by KaosTsoc on

Comments

• PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Just keep stock wiring it will not hurt.
    Just clean the area well, make sure to solder all connections, DO NOT USE ELECTRICAL TAPE. You should get the special kind that can withstand high heat without burning.
    I did the big three in my grand am, I used 4 gauge wire, left the stock and it made a huge diffrence.
    You can use 0 gauge it will not hurt. Really, if you have a 0 gauge going to your amps, use 0 guage, if you have a 4 guage use 4 gauge.
    It is up to you.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Downside to using 1/0 gauge is that its like trying to bend a crowbar when trying to snake around tight corners. 2 or 4 gauge is easier to work with.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • KaosTsoc
    edited October 2010
    Options
    That makes sense. The good thing for me is there will not be alot of bends to get from point A to B. Alot of straight runs, so I dont think there should be an issue. Now, as far as running this big of a wire to my fuse box under the hood should I even do this? The run for that is like maybe 6" away from the battery. So, if I run there as well do I need an inline fuse?

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Wouldn't think youd need to mess with the fuse box. It's not handling any extra load.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • KaosTsoc
    edited October 2010
    Options
    That is what I was thinking. So, I went out to my truck at lunch, and looked at how the wires are ran. So, the way they have it is, one power wire from the alt is going to the fuse block, then there is a smaller wire coming from the fuse block to the battery terminal being secured by a terminal bolt. Then the other main lead that is connected to the terminal like normal. Goes from the battery to the starter. (I think, I did not get on the ground since I am work). So, with that said do I run the new power wire from the alt directly to the battery post with a new terminal obviously, and leave the stock stuff alone, and just use the stock flums as a good path to keep everything stock looking? I dont want to mess this up, cause there is nothing worse than frying wires, and harness's etc.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I'm actually in the process of getting info together to do the same project.
    One thing i was told by a few people is to actually use 2 inline fuses for bat+ to alt+ wire.
    One fuse next to battery, other next to alt.
    Is that really needed??

And it would actually make my life easier if i juned stock ground wire and replaced it with new 0g since then i can use nice battery terminal for my grounds as opposed to having my battery look like an octopus if having sex with it.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • KaosTsoc
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yeah I hear you. LOL that is some funny stuff right there..... At any rate, I dont really know if two fuses is needed or not. I have only seen people use one that is near the battery from the alt, and then one more that goes from the battery to the amp(s). I also agree with you in that I am looking for a clean install if at all possible. However the question still remains. Do I go directly from the alt to battery, and leave all other wires on the positive side alone or do I mirror them?

What kind of vehicle do you have Vital??

I have a Tacoma prerunner 2.7L 4 cyclinder.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited October 2010
    Options
    2008 Altima 2.5L 4cylinder

And as to new direct wire vs "mirroring" i'll probably go direct since there are a few stock fuses right before +battery terminal, woun't wanna mess with those.
    If there are no fuses in your Tacoma then i'd "mirror" stock wires for cleaner look.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • KaosTsoc
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You know........:confused: I will more than likley go with direct. It is kind of odd how they have it all wired. Like I said in the thread earlier there is a fuse block that the power wire from the alt goes to, then from there, there is another smaller wire either coming or going from the batter to the fuse block. Then there is yet another wire that goes from the battery to the starter. Two of the wires are running off the battery, and one goes to the fuse block.

What ever happened to running wire from the alt to batter then to a fuse block. Man the old cars are better then the new ones, or at least simpler than the new ones.

I may just leave all the stock postive wire alone, and run the new wire directly from the alt to battery positive with a fuse. Then scrap all the stock ground wires, and replace those with the new thicker wire. Does this sound good, bad indifferent?

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12