power disp. in 4"

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey, i've gotten into a few conversations on this and i'm really curious. i've noticed with a lot of 4" drivers on the market, the specified peak power is 4-5 times higher than the average power limits. Are these two different breakdown mechanisms limiting the power dissipation? It's clearly not just an rms vs. peak voltage issue.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    i think its just the speakers you're looking at.

some subwoofers are like that too... JBL GT's 250 rms / 1k peak -- alpine type R 300 rms / 1k peak.

its all relative... there are some PG 4" that are rated like 25 rms / 50 peak... there are others that are 4 to 1 like u said.

i think it all depends on the quality of hte speaker mfg's testing procedures and their honesty of rating.

sometimes mfg's like to ramp up the peak rating just to slap it on the box. other times they underrate their RMS so that people never get displeased and say "well this sub says 500 rms but breaks up after 450... i want my money back" -- so they slap 350 on the box and let be go "wow, what a sub, its only rated 350 but does 450!!! amazing" -- its no miracle... just marketing.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge