Any way to save money?

Options
JakeCourtney
JakeCourtney Posts: 55
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rXYEc111/EmailCart.asp?emType=3&emKey=586584

Can somebody please look at this cart list that the guy from Crutchfield put together for my install on a 2005 Chevy Impala.

Do I really need to spend $100 bucks on an amplifier install kit? What about the GM Factory Integration Adapter kit at $80 bucks. Ouch. I'm not planning on buying the headunit from them so I won't get the 50% off.

$60 bucks for 4 RCA cables? Ouch. I'm starting to rethink just leaving my stock speakers in.

Surely I can buy different sets or from somewhere else to save money on some of this stuff.
Post edited by JakeCourtney on

Comments

• Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Im not big on car audio, the one part I know you will need is the GM Factory Integration Adapter kit at $80 bucks, the rest of it seems a little pricey to me. Good Luck!
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Stuff costs $$. They give you the break on the adapter, so that you'll buy the head unit from them. Crutchfield is rarely the cheapest, but their service after the sale is second to none. Have questions about your install? Call them - they'll email you photos, walk you through it, etc... If you're looking to save, try their outlet store. If that's not enough, you'll save $$ at Amazon, etc..., but no one will be there to pick up the phone and help you, IF you need it. If you're not the type of person that might sometime need customer service, then by all means look around and save the cash. Oh yeah, you're usually gonna pay a little more when buying from an authorized dealer, but they'll take care of you with warranty concerns and such.

Just bought my HU from Crutchfield, and the experience has been wonderful.

Check kawizx9r's experience here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106929
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Buy the HU from Crutchfield. Hands down, they bend over backwards to help you. I had a head unit that I bought refurbished, they are only supposed to give 90 days (3 months) It stopped working after 5 months, I gave them a call then overnighted me a brand new one.

The RCA cables, speaker wires, wiring kit. Amazon for that or second hand. No need to spend that much on the accessories. However the HU and that intergration adapter. I would buy from them. Just because you never know what you could really be getting from an un-authorized dealer.
    Just my .02.
    Oh, one way to save money, is have them email you when that receiver comes in refurbished. It will be about $50 cheaper. Granted you get only 90 days....but that is refurbished. Kenwood is one of the only brands that will ship refurbished to them about every two weeks.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I can't pull the list up on my Droid so I can't see exactly what they're listing but $100 for an amp install kit is ridiculous. Go to Wal-Mart and get one of their 4 gauge amp kits for $30 or so. Wire is wire.

Also check out knuconceptz.com. They've got a ton of properly priced sure and cables.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,749
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Have you shopped around at other places?

I bought a ton of stuff a few months ago to put into my car from this place:

www.Onlinecarstereo.com

They were the cheapest around.

Sal

Onlinecarstereo is sweet and all but watch what you're getting. They are not authorized dealers on everything they carry. If they have a specified warranty other than manufacturer then it's not an authorized dealer item and you won't get manufacturer support. For people like me who have enough experience to handle most problems that pop up, that's no big deal. For novices and such, it's something to be considered. That lack of help is like being left out in the cold and it can make or break a system.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,749
    edited October 2010
    Options
    http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rXYEc111/EmailCart.asp?emType=3&emKey=586584

Can somebody please look at this cart list that the guy from Crutchfield put together for my install on a 2005 Chevy Impala.

Do I really need to spend $100 bucks on an amplifier install kit? What about the GM Factory Integration Adapter kit at $80 bucks. Ouch. I'm not planning on buying the headunit from them so I won't get the 50% off.

$60 bucks for 4 RCA cables? Ouch. I'm starting to rethink just leaving my stock speakers in.

Surely I can buy different sets or from somewhere else to save money on some of this stuff.

I can't see your cart. It has a head unit in it and that's it. But, I will say that you can buy from Crutchfield with confidence. They aren't the cheapest but they will support you and help you out and for that, you pay premium prices. The old adage stands, you get what you pay for.

That said, if you are scoffing at prices then I'm wondering if you should be looking at stereo equipment at all and maybe wait a bit and save some money. Or, start nickel and diming it and get pieces as you can afford them. But I'm betting you already went to onlinecarstereo.com so this is a moot point.

Me, I have extensive experience with car audio and I still buy head units from Crutchfield because their mounting brackets and wiring harnesses are some of the best on the market. I can get a factory look without alot of effort using a Crutchfield kit. That's worth the extra cost to me.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • JakeCourtney
    JakeCourtney Posts: 55
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I don't mind spending the money, but when I know the crap doesn't really have to cost that much I'm a little concerned.

Same reason I won't buy anything here in town locally. Why go to one of the car audio shops here in town and pay $399 for an amp, when the same one can be bought online for under $150.

I buy everything online, screw the local economy.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I buy everything online, screw the local economy.

You do realize this is a big reason why your local economy is in the ****,don't you?
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Anyway to save money?

Don't spend it :D buahahahha