Is this right?

Options
JakeCourtney
JakeCourtney Posts: 55
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Me to Crutchfield: I've got a Polk Audio 5-channel amp - PA 1100.5.It's got these specs - 125 watts x 4 (@ 2 ohm) and 600 watts x 1 (@ 1 ohm) Continuous or 80 watts x 4 (@ 4 ohm) and 280 watts x (@ 4 ohm.I'm trying to decide what would be better to take advantage of this amp. Deciding between the Polk Audio db6501 or MM6501 comp set.The db series is 4-ohm while the MM6501 is 2.7-ohm. The db series can take up to 100 RMS and my amp only puts out 80 at 4-ohm so the db series would be short. Now is it my understanding that since the MM6501 is 2.7-ohm that each speaker would be getting 125 watts @ 2-ohm operation or I'm I not understanding that correctly. It seems like I'd be better off going with the MM series as it would take advantage of more power from my amp.I'm also looking at getting a couple of subs to run off this amp. However, the mono channel on this amp only puts out 280 watts @ 4-ohm on the mono channel and that is barely enough to run one sub.Would it be possible to get two 10'inch 4-ohm dual-voice coil subs and wire them into a 1-ohm load? That way the amp would be putting 300 watts per speaker in a 600 watts x 1 (@ 1 ohm) stable operation?I'd appreciate any help to my understanding of this. Thank you.

Crutchfield reply: Greetings Jake,

Thanks for your e-mail. My name is Mike and I'll be happy to help.

The Polk Mobile Monitor series are better than the Polk db Series speakers if they are going to be amplified with as much power as your amplifier has available. So I would suggest sticking with the Polk Mobile Monitor MM6501. You will overall have more clarity out of the speakers along with an improved bass response.

For the subwoofers, it is not recommended to run your amplifier at the 1-ohm impedance, unless you are planning on bridging the first four channels and turning the amplifier into a 3-channel amplifier. At that point, using the 3-channel amplifier layout, you would be overpowering even the Polk Mobile Monitor speakers with the 250 watt output of the amplifier. The recommended constant power of the speakers is up to 125 watts RMS, which means that you would be doubling the recommended constant power.

I suggest purchasing either two single 4-ohm voice coil subwoofers and utilizing the 400 watt RMS output of the amplifier at 2 ohms or purchasing a single 4-ohm voice coil subwoofer and utilizing the 280 RMS output at 4 ohms. If you decide to go the route of choosing two subwoofers I strongly suggest using 10" subwoofers to achieve maximum efficiency. The Focal Auditor RiP-250S would be a great option to explore whether using just one or two.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like to discuss further options available to you, please feel free to give me a call directly at my directly line below.

Thanks again for your e-mail. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance to you.

Mike
Crutchfield Advisor

Does this sound about right what does he mean I'd be over powering even the MM series and what is wrong with DVC subwoofers in a 1-ohm config?
Post edited by JakeCourtney on

Comments

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Agree on MM over db
    and sub'ed for 1-omh info on DVC sub.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Maybe he missed the fact that its a 5-channel? I dunno.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • JakeCourtney
    JakeCourtney Posts: 55
    edited October 2010
    Options
    So is he just confused on the amp or what? Wouldn't I be alright just running a pair of MM6501 on the front channel only having the amp giving near 125 watts x 4(@ 2 ohm). That doesn't seem to be overpowering it.

I don't think he understands the momo sub amp is it's own seperate power.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yeah, that doesnt sound right to me either. Whats the point of a 5 channel thats lists stable down to 1 ohm if you CANT run it as a 5 channel when at 1 ohm. I call BS and say it should be fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D