engine/alternator/ignition noise

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just finished installing polk 3560 6.5inch components in my wrx, and i'm having some noise/static/ticking/ in the right tweeter...

I was wondering how I can fix this and what filter I might need to buy...

I was wondering if Justin's wrx had any similar problems??
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    try moving and power cables or rca cables away from any power cables first...it might be as simple as that...you might need to get some better rca cables that are shielded better or it might just be a bad tweeter
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    If only one speaker is making noise, it's a bad lead to that speaker. Either at the wiring harness splice or at the speaker. It could also be a wire pinched against a pinch weld that is causing a bad ground. I'd check the speaker wires and any connections between the speaker's source (i.e.: head unit, amplifier, crossover, etc...) before going and tearing apart the whole installation.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2003
    Passive crossovers have been known to induce noise. Make sure they are not near any power wires.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    if it turns out to be your patch cables (rca's) and u either 1) cant afford new ones 2) dont wanna pull up the old ones or 3) want a quick "half ****" fix...

you can wrap them in tin foil.. just leave em mounted and wrap the **** under the carpet in tin foil... oughta help a bit.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited July 2003
    If you want to try a new patch cable. I have a 17' Scosche EFX Stealth series for sale. Only asking $15 USPS included. I have a pair of 12', however they may or may not be sold. The person who is interestd is away until 7/3. Dont know if he still wants them. Asking $20 for both. No knicks or damage. Almost new.
    Chris
    C.J.PHILHOWER@WORLDNET.ATT.NET

PBD, Guess what I have? Makes 60 watts. I've gotton Linear. He He He.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    you bought a CB radio amp?

*Shaking head*

you're un-tame-able :)

what kind of range are you getting now????
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    its only a 60 watt. Havent tried it yet. CB brodcasts on what? AM or SSB? mounted it under the dash behind the radio. Using the switch I mounted for the Sub amp. now I can switch it off and on. Sub amp is turned on by the radio now anyhow. Aint I a sneak. Buried in the dash.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    PBD, I just checked into the unit I have. Its a KLV60. Makes 25-35 watts. Not 60. Has a 5 amp fuse. Damn, saw it advertised as a 60 watt on a couple of sites. Maybe it will work for what I want.
    Chris :(
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    dont quote me on this...and please correct me if im wrong...but i THINK the legal amount of watts your cb can put out is like 4w or something
    so i would say 25 would give you a lot more than you think
    does anybody know the legal limit...cuz now that i think about it 4 seems REALLY low...but i cant help but think its somewhere around there
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    Yes, 4 watts is the Max Legal.
    25 watts should more than double the range. I just want something to cut through the trees if needed. If you go to Big, You cause problems. Messing with TV reception and so forth.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    lol....it wont be YOUR tv thatll be messing up...just a thought...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    i dunno if this applies, but do those linear amps have rms / max ratings? 30 rms = 60 max.... or if its 30 x 2 then thats 60 also -- prolly why u got mislead w/ the rating.

christ 6x the legal limit -- somebody's got a ballsy cb :)
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    Its weird. Since the install of the Amp, I dont hear the Fuel pump whine anymore. Theories?
    Chris :confused:
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    You either broke a ground loop or, you fixed a bad ground. Either way, it's a good thing.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!