Kenwood Amps...

ChevyMan4x4
ChevyMan4x4 Posts: 52
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was talking to a guy eariler who is selling two kenwood 600 watt amps. I am a bass head who can install just about anything but have been around the scene long enough to say this amp is good, decent, or a loaded pile of crap ya know? So I said to myself I bet my polkie friends can help me out... so what do you guys think he wants 250$ for 2 of em.... is it worth it or will they "**** the bed on me?" -PBD- I figured I'd let you guys do what you do best......

Thanks....
Sir Daniel X. Boom - the GNX slayer
Post edited by ChevyMan4x4 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    i dunno ... i dont like KW amps ... at least nothing new.

they made a 2 channel about 5 years ago that was like 150 x 2 at 2 ohms / 300 x 1 bridged, btu did more like 400 and was nice as hell, clean as hell too.

I think Jstas a 5 channel KW, he'd prolly know best on KW's quality as per newer product (assuming its a newer amp).

at present, i would not spend 250 bucks for 1200 kenwood USED watts.

take a tip from cody -- got 1000+ RF watts (two bridgeable AB's) brand new in the box with full 2 yr warranty from the zeb.com for just about $380 bucks.

hwoever, if u trust the seller, and u have heard the amps in action, or he'll let u try them otu for a week or something and then if u like them uc an pay him or if u dont u can return them -- then by all means, give it a shot.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    I have the Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X650D which is a 5 channel amp. It has a class AB 4 channel amp and then a seperate power supply for a D class mono amp running at ~300 watts. Total system power is about 1200 watts peak at 14.4 volts.

The Kenwood stuff isn't super powerful. It's the higher end of the mid-market and is more suited to sound quality than SPL. They have low distortion rates, even on the lower end lines and they are clean and efficient. Under rated a tad too. I was running a 10 inch dB rather successfully with a stereo amp bridged to put out 200 watts but it was probably closer to 250 watts. It was very stable, very reliable and I think I still have it. I'm not a bass head so thier price vs. quality are nice and keep me heading back for Kenwood amps. The eXcelon series is starting to get lacking a bit which leads me to believe they are ramping up for a new product release.

As long as I can remember though, Kenwood has put out to notch electronics for a reasonble price and they do it mass-market. Not too many other companies have been able to reach the quality and signal control levels that Kenwood has and still be in the same price range. It's easy to make cheap power. It's not so easy to make clean power cheaply but Kenwood does it.

Personally, I'd take the Kenwood amps and head units over the Alpine stuff. The Kenwood stuff is on the same level if not better than the Alpine stuff and still cheaper.

As far as the used amps go, what are the model numbers? If they are last year's mono-block eXcelon units, I'd garb them. They were 400 new and underrated at 600 watts peak. Actuals at 14.4 volts were about 100 watts more peak and RMS if I remember correctly. If they are not eXcelon and just the standard amp series with teh Sigma Drive noise reduction system then 250 is a bit steep. They were only 300 brand new. You'd be getting them for less than half price but, they aren't worth the premium when you can get similar performance, brand new, for the same price if not a tad more. I'd talking him down to ~200 for the pair if they aren't eXcelon. If they are eXcelons in good working condition and in cosmetically decent shape (cause they look snazzy) then 250 for the two 600 watt amps is a fair price.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    i bought 2 RF power 450S's at www.thezeb.com, thezeb is a rf authorized dealer and the power series comes with a 3(punch comes with 2)yr warranty
    i havent got them yet but i expect to see the birth sheet come to about 550-650 watts instead of the 450 watts their rated at
    and i got both for $380...so if you want to look that route its always there
    -Cody