HU with massive storage

Options
carpenter
carpenter Posts: 362
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all,
I need recommendation for a Head Unit that support massive storage.
Ideally a unit supporting a HDD or SDD. However, Anything that support a 64GB and above memory card might also cut it.

Thanks
:cool:
"If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
Post edited by carpenter on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Most USB equipped radios can handle external hard drives. But if the hard drive is big enough, you'll need to run a power converter because it'll need an AC voltage plug in.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2010
    Options
    My HU supports western digital passports that I've tried with it.

Has the capability to control an ipod/iphone completely, however I can attach usb drives/etc to it and it works just as well. It's a Kenwood Excelon X794.

But like Cody says, most will support it if it has a USB input. Just don't expect it to put out much voltage for power-hungry drives or drives that require 2 usb inputs/external power unless you plan on hooking it up to a power converter.

-Freddy
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited October 2010
    Options
    120/160G Ipod which is supported by most new h/u sounds like a massive storage to me.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yea, but if you only want it for the car, then spending $60 on a 250GB USB powered hard drive makes more sense that a $250 160GB Ipod
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101215&cm_re=usb_powered_external_hard_drive-_-22-101-215-_-Product
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I would've purchased an external HD myself as a solution since I currently use mine as backups.

Instead my sister let me use her Pink (shudders) iPod nano. Not really a big deal since I run my usb input from the HU (comes out from the rear of the stereo) to the glove compartment so I'm able to hide it there. Figured you could do the same thing with whatever you choose to purchase. Now I've got a mint condition iPod touch in the glove compartment :eek: fortunately it was given to me!
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.