these polk speakers sound terrible

Options
holmeed
holmeed Posts: 4
edited November 2010 in Speakers
I have a onkyo tx8522 receiver - and 4 -100 watt polk floor standing speakers and a polk 100 watt woofer PSW 125

Sounds terrible. My $300 logitechs for my pc sound better and louder and clearer.

Everything looks to be hooked up right. This receiver has no sub out I have them set like they said to in manual.

Wow so this is what these polk sound like???

I can't see what is wrong or is this just how they sound?

Thanks for any help
Post edited by holmeed on

Comments

• Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Why don't you start by telling us which speakers they are, and whether or not you purchased them new or used.

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited October 2010
    Options
    What model of polks are they??
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Try upgrading that crappy receiver.
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2010
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Try upgrading that crappy receiver.

Yep!!!
  • holmeed
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Pycroft wrote: »
    Why don't you start by telling us which speakers they are, and whether or not you purchased them new or used.

James

Sorry, Monitor 50 series 4 of em

with the sub. decent wires, all hooked up right..neg/pos

I hope that this receiver would not make THAT much of a difference..

This receiver sure does get hot quick. I will NEVER buy a onkyo product again I know that.

Not buying yet another receiver. Try to sell these speakers I guess... heck been played maybe 10 hours ,these speakers...

Somehow I don't think buying another Receiver would make THAT much of a difference.

If this receiver is that bad NO ONE would ever buy it would they? So this receiver just does not work right then? Not expensive. but not bottom line price wise...
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Those 50's should kill your logitechs... IMO it's your receiver you need something to help your speakers shine...
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I started off with monitor 50's with a denon receiver and it sounded great.
  • holmeed
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Those 50's should kill your logitechs... IMO it's your receiver you need something to help your speakers shine...

The reviews for the onkyo 8522 seem all decent too. I dont get it.
    These should push these speakers. Its past the warranty too.

Junk. And they wonder why consumers don't buy anything anymore?
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Where do you live ? Sounds like you need some help. The M 50s should sound good and blow away puter speakers.

If you live nears Dallas TX I would offer for you to bring a pair over and see how they sound.

DO not know your AVR but have you ran speaker calibration program if it has one ?

If your AVR has the opition to run in Direct mode I would try that.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Pycroft
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Monitor 50's were my first speaker, and I think they are fine speakers for the money, and would blow away any computer speakers - new receiver!

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited October 2010
    Options
    holmeed wrote: »
    The reviews for the onkyo 8522 seem all decent too. I dont get it.
    These should push these speakers. Its past the warranty too.

Junk. And they wonder why consumers don't buy anything anymore?

I've heard the Onkyo 8555 which is pretty close (100 wpc) and it sounded good pushing a pair of monitor 70's? It sounded good as a bedroom music setup, definitely better than computer speakers.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Same here - I started off w/ monitor 50s, cs1 center, and a psw-110 sub w/ an inexpensive yamaha 467 receiver. And I thought the setup was overall a significant step up from my Logitech Z-5500 system (except the sub).

looks like a stereo receiver - probably part of the problem.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • Mon40CSMM10
    Mon40CSMM10 Posts: 161
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I've got a Pioneer AVR that gets hot quickly, and yet with the Monitor 40 bookshelf speakers I am using I get excellent sound even without using a subwoofer, to the point where the subwoofer mostly just fills in the low end for music and handles the low frequency effects in movies. Monitor 50's sound sound even better.

So with no detailed description of exactly what is not good about the sound (e.g., bass too low, highs to bright, midrange lacking presence, etc.), all that can be recommended is rechecking everything again.

First, you've probably already checked these, but go through the list again:

* Front speakers set to Large in the receiver settting?
    * Subwoofer set to None in the receiver setting?
    * Front Left and Front Right from the receiver connected to the correct corresponding speaker inputs on the subwoofer?
    * Speakers connected to the Left and Right speaker outputs on the subwwoofer?
    * All wires are connected in phase? Positive and negative connections receiver to the subwoofer and from the subwoofer to the speakers have not been switched for any connection?

If those check as okay, also check these:

* Loudness or Midnight modes disabled in the receiver?
    * Crossovers disabled in the receiver? (Must send all frequencies to the subwoofer to get through to the speakers without an LFE/subwoofer out.)
    * Power off the subwoofer--is the problem now identified as the subwoofer blending in with the speakers?

If the problem is the subwoofer blending in with the speakers, continue to check these:

* Low pass dial setting on the subwoofer too high or too low? (Make sure it is not set to LFE if the receiver does not have an LFE/subwoofer out, recommended starting point for Low Pass is as close to 80 Hz as possible with dials that do not specifically show as 80 Hz marking.)
    * Phase switch setting on the subwoofer? (If 0 isn't working well, try 180. If the bass decreases, revert back to 0.)
    * Amplifier dial setting on the subwoofer too low or too high?

Hope this helps.
  • holmeed
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I've got a Pioneer AVR that gets hot quickly, and yet with the Monitor 40 bookshelf speakers I am using I get excellent sound even without using a subwoofer, to the point where the subwoofer mostly just fills in the low end for music and handles the low frequency effects in movies. Monitor 50's sound sound even better.

So with no detailed description of exactly what is not good about the sound (e.g., bass too low, highs to bright, midrange lacking presence, etc.), all that can be recommended is rechecking everything again.

* Front Left and Front Right from the receiver connected to the correct corresponding speaker inputs on the subwoofer?
    * All wires are connected in phase? Positive and negative connections receiver to the subwoofer and from the subwoofer to the speakers have not been switched for any connection?

* Crossovers disabled in the receiver? (Must send all frequencies to the subwoofer to get through to the speakers without an LFE/subwoofer out.)
    * Power off the subwoofer--is the problem now identified as the subwoofer blending in with the speakers?

If the problem is the subwoofer blending in with the speakers, continue to check these:

* Low pass dial setting on the subwoofer too high or too low? (Make sure it is not set to LFE if the receiver does not have an LFE/subwoofer out, recommended starting point for Low Pass is as close to 80 Hz as possible with dials that do not specifically show as 80 Hz marking.)
    * Phase switch setting on the subwoofer? (If 0 isn't working well, try 180. If the bass decreases, revert back to 0.)

Hope this helps.

"Front speakers set to Large in the receiver settting?
    * Subwoofer set to None in the receiver setting?"

I don't see any kinds of these settings on this oyoko

Thank you so much for everyones help!
  • Pycroft
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Sure, and welcome to Club Polk :)
    2 Channel/HT:
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • wz2p7j
    wz2p7j Posts: 840
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hope this helps.

Mon40, the subject receiver is a stereo receiver. :o:o:confused:confused:

Chris
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited October 2010
    Options
    wz2p7j wrote: »
    Mon40, the subject receiver is a stereo receiver. :o:o:confused:confused:

Chris

So he's running 4 speakers off a stereo receiver... I'd suggest removing a pair. Running A+B speakers has never sounded good to me.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Plus if he's running A and B speakers at the same time,chances are he's barely feeding them 60 watts each.

Make sure none of the plastic coating from the speaker wire is caught inside the binding post on the speaker or avr. Unhook the sub for now, just play speaker A with the two speakers and see how it sounds then we can go from there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i still have my Monitor 50/40 and they sound good to me.
    mole'
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,267
    edited October 2010
    Options
    That Onkyo receiver should be able to drive those Monitor 50's to levels that would melt down any nearby computer speakers. :)

If you're running 4 speakers, are you running them A + B ?

Or are you running 2 speakers off of 1 binding post each ?

If the latter, the Monitor 50's, at 8 ohms each in parallel, now present 4 ohms to your receiver.

If that's the case, your receiver is going to push double the amps and run hot.

Here's a link for an Onkyo TX-8522 manual:

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/TX-85228222_En_29344234.pdf?CFID=1210899&CFTOKEN=22353651&jsessionid=f0306911bc95423dc6d46a55401921252726

Also, what kind of speaker wire are you running, and what type of connections (spade, bananna, bare wire) ?
    Make SURE you don't have wires crossing behind the receiver.
    Sal Palooza
  • apphd
    apphd Posts: 1,514
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Welcome to CP. Do you have the jumpers in place between the binding posts on all speakers?

Just a thought.

Do you know anyone in your area you can ask for some help or borrow a different receiver to try?
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2010
    Options
    How are they wired, in parallel or series, or separate A/B?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • shootsbrah
    shootsbrah Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i agree with everyone else. these speakers should sound a lot better than any pc speakers.

not too sure if it makes a difference but try hooking up just 2 speakers without the sub and see how they sound.
  • Solidate
    Solidate Posts: 16
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You know... I have Monitor 60's hooked up with a CS1 and a BIC F12 to a Denon 1611 (75WPC) and for the mean time, some Logitech satellite speakers for rears (Z5500 models)

Surprisingly the logitechs are WAY louder. Even at -12db they sometimes overpower my mains! They seem bright though... They highlight higher notes I guess. The loudness is probably due to them being THX certified though.

In any case I also thought that my Monitors were the same as Z5500 (Unbelievable right?) So I swapped the setup for a moment and it seemed like nothing changed...

I guess the Monitors are more balanced or maybe my 75WPC receiver isn't giving them enough juice...

If I could, I would return them =/
  • mystik610
    mystik610 Posts: 699
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Solidate wrote: »
    You know... I have Monitor 60's hooked up with a CS1 and a BIC F12 to a Denon 1611 (75WPC) and for the mean time, some Logitech satellite speakers for rears (Z5500 models)

Surprisingly the logitechs are WAY louder. Even at -12db they sometimes overpower my mains! They seem bright though... They highlight higher notes I guess. The loudness is probably due to them being THX certified though.

In any case I also thought that my Monitors were the same as Z5500 (Unbelievable right?) So I swapped the setup for a moment and it seemed like nothing changed...

I guess the Monitors are more balanced or maybe my 75WPC receiver isn't giving them enough juice...

If I could, I would return them =/

Louder doesn't necessarily mean better. A good speaker has the dynamic range to highlight details without sounding 'loud'. A lesser speaker tends to lack dynamic range, less separation between different frequencies, and a more 'crowded' soundstage that simply sounds louder when you crank up the volume without necessarily sounding more detailed. In those situations the less dynamic speakers will sound 'louder' and overpower everything else.

I ran into the exact same scenario when I was using these crappy little HTiB surrounds with my TSi300's, and eventually RTi8's. The surrounds had no dynamic range and went from overbearingly 'loud' sounding, to non-existent...there was no happy medium with them. They drowned out my mains, and were an overall detriment to my system.

I would disconnect your surrounds, crank up your monitor 60's and listen to the way increasing the volume simply makes them more detailed without really sounding 'louder'.
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun
  • Solidate
    Solidate Posts: 16
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yes! That's exactly what they do...

The other day I was playing Uncharted and had a little test.
    I stood next to a waterfall and rotated 360 degrees to see how it sounded on mains and surrounds.

M60's made the waterfall sound more natural (Not overly loud or in-proportionate) So it didn't necessarily detract from the experience.

The Logis, however, highlighted the waterfalls so much that it drowned out everything else.

I also played Dead Space and the logis did the same... They highlighted the **** out of anything high pitched. (Background noises overpowered everything else)

Maybe I'm just used to the logis because I've had them for who knows how long...

Definitely going to pick up some Monitor 30's when they go on sale on newegg =P
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It sounds like you need a little more patience to get used to how things should sound.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • TORI3
    TORI3 Posts: 234
    edited October 2010
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    So he's running 4 speakers off a stereo receiver... I'd suggest removing a pair. Running A+B speakers has never sounded good to me.

I've had a couple of older Sony receivers from back in the day...and it was always recommended not to have both A and B speakers on at the same time. First off, it's probably not delivering enough power. Second, it'll probably put the receiver in "Protect Mode" or simply shut down and not come back on.

This happened to me twice when I was a teenager and didn't know better --- I'm not saying the member is a teenager...just my own experience when I was a teenager and didn't have access to forums like these (they didn't even exist back then).

Good luck, and change the receiver before you sell the monitors would be my recommendation.
    HT: RTi8s, CSi3, RTi4s, HSU ULS-15, Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH, Sunfire Cinema Seven.
    2CH: CJ MF2300, Parasound P3, PS Audio DLIII, Wadia 170i, Music Hall Maverick, Sierra-1s, Sunfire HRS8
  • Peter_Klim
    Peter_Klim Posts: 4
    edited November 2010
    Options
    OK, unless your Onkyo is DEFECTIVE or if you have it set up incorrectly, there is no reason your Polk's will sound worse than your PC speakers. I GUARANTEE it!

What exactly is it that doesn't sound right about it? They sound muffled? thin? tinny? boomy? crackling? Do they sound bad only at low volumes, high volumes? any volume? Do both speakers sound bad? Use the balance all the way to one side, or just disconnect the one speaker.
  • Audioquest
    Audioquest Posts: 104
    edited November 2010
    Options
    holmeed wrote: »
    I have a onkyo tx8522 receiver - and 4 -100 watt polk floor standing speakers and a polk 100 watt woofer PSW 125

Sounds terrible. My $300 logitechs for my pc sound better and louder and clearer.

Everything looks to be hooked up right. This receiver has no sub out I have them set like they said to in manual.

Wow so this is what these polk sound like???

I can't see what is wrong or is this just how they sound?

Thanks for any help

Could easily be room acoustics. What dimensions is the room, floor type, how is the gear positioned in the room. You mention 4 speakers, I would turn one set off. Generally 4 speakers in one room tend to do weird and negative cancellation effects badly affecting the sound. Also 4 speakers running at one time will generally make your amp run hotter than with 2
    HT: Polk SDA SRS 2.3 main fronts, Klipsch RC-25 center channel, Polk RTi-150 rears, M&K V1B sub, Denon AVR-5800, Samsung 52" LCD, Sony BDP-S550

2 Channel: Carver ALS Platinum, Audio Research LS-2B preamp, Counterpoint SA-100 amplifier, Integra CD player, Denon SL7D tt, TC750 phono pre, Nikko tuner